What do you want to be when you grow up, and where are you now? Parents support?

waiting for poly.
Ambitions..well

1. Musician/Songwriter
2. Commercial Airline Pilot (even since i was young)
3. Computer Technician (Fed up with com related problems)
4. Sound Technician
5. PREDATOR!

Well, I used to want to be a music producer... But then I realised the market here isn't very big and it will be saturated so unless I'm really good, I won't make it.

So now, I'm trying to apply for an engineering course in uni and complete it for fun. Going along to lines of giving part time mass tuition to support me folks and myself, while doing music the other half of the time. Not sure if playing safe in this manner will affect my partial music career as I've got an impression that, since doing music here is so hard, I don't know if I'll succeed if I don't put in 101% of my effort.

Then again, jumping full time into music is still quite risky as of now. I'm the only kid and I've got 2 parents. If I'm not able to support them, who will?

Man, I understand how you feel. I wanted to take up MAT in SP and go on with doing music production or composition, but the market in Singapore is really small and immature. It's like a new form of ambition but in the end, my parents told me they were strongly against it because they think I won't have a future and I won't earn.

I don't know how true they are because they aren't in the music scene and they didn't validate their arguments with any specific examples. It's true that Singapore's music might not be marketable and feasible.

But if it's your ambition, how much will you go for it at the expense of income?

Have anyone dreamed of being a motivational speaker? Attended this motivational talk, 13 hours 1 day for 3 days. Well basically they said their pay was around 10k a month , wow tats cool man just talking and you get paid quite high. Also one more thing i realised that you must screw up your life pretty badly, or just be good liars to be one. Had 2 out of 3 speakers that talked to us, both mentioning that their fathers are bankrupt and 1 speaker even said he retook his O Levels twice, once getting 36 points and another one getting 37 points.

I think the SXE people are okay with coffee so yea.. haha!

Actually straightedge is all about not depending on certain things, atleast not being an addict towards certain things like drugs,booze,sex,ciggs and all those things that are considered harmful to you (to some caffeine is considered against being sXe). I mean thats the essence of being sXe.

Either ways, I dont think you need to follow their rules, one should decide whats better for them and find their own truth.

on another note, you have to be a DARN good motivational speaker to be considered succesful (as in, earn the big bucks). And you dont really have to go thru bad experiences inorder to be a motivational speaker, you just have to be able to relate to your audience and tell a great story that inspires them. Its all about advertising, you have to look like you know what you're talking about.

Man, I understand how you feel. I wanted to take up MAT in SP and go on with doing music production or composition, but the market in Singapore is really small and immature. It's like a new form of ambition but in the end, my parents told me they were strongly against it because they think I won't have a future and I won't earn.

I don't know how true they are because they aren't in the music scene and they didn't validate their arguments with any specific examples. It's true that Singapore's music might not be marketable and feasible.

But if it's your ambition, how much will you go for it at the expense of income?

my parents argument against me going into DMAT was that i'd lose out, income-wise. but i could say the same for them. both took risks career-wise and didn't end up very successful, when they could have gotten safer, high-paying jobs instead. so i suppose it's my own prerogative to choose a path i'd like to take and probably live with the consequences, whether good or bad.

hmmp! ambition...

always wanted to be a photographer snapping models.!

and currently working with a company in an internship as a photographer as well. however slightly different. i'm snapping pictures of buildings rather then models. but well, i love it. and thank GOD, my parents approve of it.
phew..

my parents argument against me going into DMAT was that i'd lose out, income-wise. but i could say the same for them. both took risks career-wise and didn't end up very successful, when they could have gotten safer, high-paying jobs instead. so i suppose it's my own prerogative to choose a path i'd like to take and probably live with the consequences, whether good or bad.

Is it possible to still enroll into SP now?

Because I'm sick of my JC life a little too late.

i'm really not sure. there may be a second intake later in the year i think. i got in through the JAE after the o's results were released in jan. are you j1 or j2?

Philosophist (Philology mainly)
Sociologist
Writer (Poetry and prose, mostly)
Photographer (Freelance)
Actress (in plays such as The Barber of Surreal)
Songwriter
Law

I wanted to be a Fighter Pilot for the RSAF..too bad my conservative parents opposed me.

So now, im working towards my Commpercial Pilots license :)

What i wanna be?

Professional Drummer - i hope to reach Beauford's level of playing
Rapper - as good as Eminem, lyric-wise
Producer - Just wanna help people reach their dreams.

Yeah, I hope SP admission office still takes in applicants. Thanks anyway. I can't wait to get out of my current school.

Back when i was a wee lil tot,my mother had high hopes of me becoming a police officer,following the footsteps of my grandfather and her.But as i grew older,all ideas of becoming one was slowly eroding as i began exploring my options and i went into pre-u,i found that answer i was looking for:teaching and english literature in particular.My mum may be disappointed that theres nobody in the family who is willing to continue the police lineage (my bro's a technician and my lil sis plans to be a designer)but at least my pesky cousin wants to become one (i suspect that he is doing it just so that his hari raya packet is more stuffed up than mine).My love for english literature speaks volumes and often i get ticked off for using "alien" words (eg.eh,what the fish was that word?can use simple english?)but instead of arresting the bad guys and bring justice to society,i decided to inspire and enhance the minds of the future with works from the great poets and hoping that the beauty of the english language is preserved and enjoyed by both the young and old

But some of that regimentation did rub off a bit,i have OCD because of that.gah.....

Back