help with buying first electric guitar~ >.<

+10

To dudelove, what superpotato said is what i actually wanted to say. :cool:
Maybe I've yet to try a really good LP Studio.

Then again, there are crappy full-fleged Gibbys as well~ Those I played were amazing.

most importantly also. everyone has different opinions abt what good and bad is. to each his own. my les paul weighs 17pounds (i'm so sorry i have to bring it up again. i'm really not trying to brag). i like it that one. might not be the most resonant guitar but it sings beautifully. some ppl might not like that.

but really dude. i'm really not being biased but i have not picked up many les pauls that have sounded better than my studio. although i dislike its pickups though. gonna be swapped out soon..

most importantly also. everyone has different opinions abt what good and bad is. to each his own. my les paul weighs 17pounds (i'm so sorry i have to bring it up again. i'm really not trying to brag). i like it that one. might not be the most resonant guitar but it sings beautifully. some ppl might not like that.

but really dude. i'm really not being biased but i have not picked up many les pauls that have sounded better than my studio. although i dislike its pickups though. gonna be swapped out soon..

Yea man, I understand and what you said is absolutely right. Its good to love your guitar that much~

If I do get my hands on a Studio like that, then I'll definitely buy and vouch for it as well.

Anw, what pickups will you be swapping to?

Last edited:

havent made up my mind. very likely the wolfetones marshallhead MKII or a dr vintage. might got for a custom pickup option at highorder pickups

the stock pickups in the studio are pretty good actually. just that they are way too high output for me and i'm a PAF dude.

havent made up my mind. very likely the wolfetones marshallhead MKII or a dr vintage.

Wow. Wolfetones, haven't heard that name for a long time. Lol. The Dr. Vintage sets are nice.

Haven't heard much about highorder pickups though.

How about Bareknuckle pickups?

ahhh.. I see. Highorder Pickups look great man, but you really have to know your stuffs and the tone you are going for in order to direct your order. LoL. Definitely not for the beginners.

I'm sure love_replicate will be hearing alien language from us again. hahaha. You'll get there sis, no worries.

ahhh.. I see. Highorder Pickups look great man, but you really have to know your stuffs and the tone you are going for in order to direct your order. LoL. Definitely not for the beginners.

dont worry i know what i want exactly.. ;)

on the debate over standards and LPs for blues rock metal etc...

i've never had this idea that there are guitars specially designed for certain genres. because when i listen to music i realise those with adequate skills can "transcend" genres (like, say, x japan, not really metal not really classical i don't know how to categorise them XD)

i've always had this assumption....which is how i fell in love with guitar lol-.- because they're so versatile, it seems like you could have one guitar and play any kind of song. not like, say, uhm...erhu, such an instrument is - im not saying not versatile - but a little harder to "mix genre"....LOL does this make sense? XD dont know my theory correct a not haha

OH so you can change your pickup even after you buy the guitar? isit like restringing, something like, you buy the part and fix it yourself, or you have to get a professional to do it? *noob qn:D*

Yea you're right. Any guitar can play everything. Its just that each type of guitar produces a characteristic sound that may be more suitable for each particular genre.

However, nothing's stopping you from using a Jackson to play chinese pop if you wish to do so.

In the end its really based on personal preferences.

And yes, you can change the pickups but its not something you should worry yourself too much about right now. haha. You can DYI yourself, but its best beginners get someone to do it for you.

sorry dude. i beg to differ. i own a les paul studio and it holds its own against many many more expensive gibsons. standards imo are the let down bunch of gibson.

hey how do you differentiate a good gibson les paul studio from a bad one?The tone?Or is it set up bad?Would a good setup fix the problem? Thanks!

eh, i wana add on to learning2play's post.

forgot to ask this right from the start *aiyo i am so smart...headdesk*
how do you tell a good guitar from a bad one? i mean, other than personal preferences, are there certain general sounds to look out for?
eg. maybe, uhm, bad guitars make a crackling buzzling vhhhhuuuu sound or something? or like you play will have smoke come out of the guitar...(ok i think that is an obvious tell tale sign) and what about good guitars? hmm so are they good because their sound is...smooth? or like it's like...idk *ends post abruptly again and runs away meeeeep>.<*

alright also..i re-read this whole thread (haha)
i have a question folks~ what's amazing about valve amps? i read up a little, it is said they are louder than other amps? that true? and it is special cos it uses some cheem vacuum technology to produce sound rather than electric currents or what. that true too? haha-.- *noob*

Last edited:
Tube circuitry just basically adds more colour to the sound, distorted sound only. When you drive your amp with gain. On clean there isnt much difference with a solid state amp. Plus you need it real loud to drive it till it 'breaks', that is to go into distortion. BUT the distortion is very warm and that is why it is still wanted and sought after. No good for bedroom, maintenance also something to consider. And to add, good tube amps are hell expensive unless you decide to get like half stack like blackheart b5h5. But there are also hybrid amps that combine both tube and solid state attributes. No harm taking a look at modeling guitar amps, they model sounds of famous amps thus giving you a wide range of choices eg VOX valvetronix. Anyway, just my two cents worth. I think you should just get a entry guitar with a good practice amp for now. Get your skills going eg sweep pick, alternate pick, tapping etc, And when you have achieved awesomeness, then you look for pro instrument to stand up against your insane skills. A good beginner guitar would cost you less that 500. Try some a standard value, swing guitars are good quality. http://www.standardvalue.com.sg/

Bad guitar? You will know how one is like after you have played a good guitar. Things to check when you get a guitar.

How solid is the quality? Twist the knobs, check the tuners, bridge, finish ( glossy finish, paint job etc) etc.

Does it play smooth? Play on the whole fretboard if possible, check for weird unusual spots. Should be regular throughout.

Check for the weight, heavy one might add sustain. But to heavy you cant jump on your bed and play power chords.

How does it feel? Must feel good, and inspire you to play. No use buying guitar then dont play.

Does it feel better or worse than the other guitars you have put your hands on before? Try a lot of guitars in the shop. Dont care the staff give you funny looks cause it is your money you are spending.

It would help if you read at least 10 reviews online before buying.

Bring a friend who is good and well versed with the world of guitar. So he she or it can protect you in case salesman tries to pull a fast one.

Finally, I cant help noticing how cautiously you are threading this whole play the electric guitar thing. Just buy and play! You will learn things along the way. Dont need to mugg guitar knowledge before you play. Lol.

Last edited:
It would help if you read at least 10 reviews online before buying.

tyvm for your suggestion^^ but, eh, like i said, i am poor at guitar terminology...lol...read also catch no ball XD (but this thread is helping a lot, like, i am slowly picking up the vocab..thanks so much lah folks ;^;)

Bring a friend who is good and well versed with the world of guitar. So he she or it can protect you in case salesman tries to pull a fast one.
i'm pretty much left on my own. i don't know anybody - ok lah, i know a few, but they are very distant acquaintances and...it is just very awkward to ask half-strangers for help. and personally i'm not v. comfortable around too many people...i dont want a "i ask my good friend come and my good friend brings her guitar friend who brings lot of guitarists whom i dono" situation. :x
my only bet is i'm asking this friend to come along, and he is good at "money" stuff...like bargaining...sensing scams...yah...but he dont know anything about guitar XD but he will try his best to help me he's a real nice friend...

I cant help noticing how cautiously you are threading this whole play the electric guitar thing. Just buy and play!
yah...ok i am kinda paranoid i admit XD and....partly because i feel very sian studying lah dont want study...come soft ask ask first..>.< so since i am asking might as well make things clear right? and, ok, that is a personal n completely irrelevant story, but long story short i think i might be betting the rest on my life on music. and i have like no music BG at all. so i wana be careful...very big risk i know, people call me dumb and rash and whatever but i sick of arguing already also uh anyway i dowan to digress about my nervousness ok i think i am -ends abruptly- whoops :x sorry haha

thanks a lot for explaining tube amps to me, i get a good gist of it..tomorrow wake up mind clear see again..paiseh uhmm... lol >_> yah i keep asking noob qns...but i really wana know and im kinda despo haha so..im asking again! ~_~

ok so what do all these words mean? :x

When you drive your amp with gain. On clean there isnt much difference with a solid state amp ...unless you decide to get like half stack like blackheart b5h5.

yah ok stuff like drive gain clean you google i think they will give you stuff like car money and kiwiclean uh so im kinda lazy too hah-.- uhm solid state i checked a little seems like its the "other option" to valve amp they say mainly 3 types valve, solid state and hybrids...or is that all i needa know for now again? paiseh luh hahah-.- ok i think this post will make no sense but write already just post tomorrow wake up head clear i edit uh thanks a lot soft folks seriously this means a loooooooot to me u guys have no idea thank you so much...!!!!

Don't bet your whole life on music just yet sister. Remember this is Singapore. :lol: In case you forgotten. Studies still come first and its important you get your papers. (Like I'm currently doing even though I don't want to, so you're not the only one).

not only music. maybe (visual) arts. or writing. art of any form. i just have this...desire to create something beautiful. and i've had this desire since i was born like it was innate or something...i don't know. i don't care if this is singapore anymore. i am sick of trying to fit into a system i can never force myself into. i know you mean well...and i know this is how singapore operates. everything paper paper diedie race to get A1 top jc top course in uni "otherwise you confirm die" right? but i did consider this very thoroughly. silly and ridiculous as it sounds to everybody else, i will be fighting the system after o's :D

(eh sorry, this damn off topic. haha.)

Last edited:
A tip when you google: don't just google "drive" or "clean" or "gain", google "guitar amp drive", "guitar amp clean", "guitar amp gain". only then, you'll find the resources online about the terminology in the guitar context.

google is really amazing.

not only music. maybe (visual) arts. or writing. art of any form. i just have this...desire to create something beautiful. and i've had this desire since i was born like it was innate or something...i don't know. i don't care if this is singapore anymore. i am sick of trying to fit into a system i can never force myself into. i know you mean well...and i know this is how singapore operates. everything paper paper diedie race to get A1 top jc top course in uni "otherwise you confirm die" right? but i did consider this very thoroughly. silly and ridiculous as it sounds to everybody else, i will be fighting the system after o's :D

(eh sorry, this damn off topic. haha.)
Yeh, good mindset.
I'm almost in the same situation as you.
And i'm also doing my O's now, trying to go against the system.
Afterall, for me its do or die. :p

Good luck.

tyvm for your suggestion^^ but, eh, like i said, i am poor at guitar terminology...lol...read also catch no ball XD (but this thread is helping a lot, like, i am slowly picking up the vocab..thanks so much lah folks ;^;)

i'm pretty much left on my own. i don't know anybody - ok lah, i know a few, but they are very distant acquaintances and...it is just very awkward to ask half-strangers for help. and personally i'm not v. comfortable around too many people...i dont want a "i ask my good friend come and my good friend brings her guitar friend who brings lot of guitarists whom i dono" situation. :x
my only bet is i'm asking this friend to come along, and he is good at "money" stuff...like bargaining...sensing scams...yah...but he dont know anything about guitar XD but he will try his best to help me he's a real nice friend...

yah...ok i am kinda paranoid i admit XD and....partly because i feel very sian studying lah dont want study...come soft ask ask first..>.< so since i am asking might as well make things clear right? and, ok, that is a personal n completely irrelevant story, but long story short i think i might be betting the rest on my life on music. and i have like no music BG at all. so i wana be careful...very big risk i know, people call me dumb and rash and whatever but i sick of arguing already also uh anyway i dowan to digress about my nervousness ok i think i am -ends abruptly- whoops :x sorry haha

thanks a lot for explaining tube amps to me, i get a good gist of it..tomorrow wake up mind clear see again..paiseh uhmm... lol >_> yah i keep asking noob qns...but i really wana know and im kinda despo haha so..im asking again! ~_~

ok so what do all these words mean? :x

yah ok stuff like drive gain clean you google i think they will give you stuff like car money and kiwiclean uh so im kinda lazy too hah-.- uhm solid state i checked a little seems like its the "other option" to valve amp they say mainly 3 types valve, solid state and hybrids...or is that all i needa know for now again? paiseh luh hahah-.- ok i think this post will make no sense but write already just post tomorrow wake up head clear i edit uh thanks a lot soft folks seriously this means a loooooooot to me u guys have no idea thank you so much...!!!!

Gain refers to the amount of distortion in the signal. Other names include drive, overdrive etc.
To drive an amp with gain will mean to increase the amount of gain on the amp to receive a distortion signal/sound.
Clean would refer to the sound of the guitar when there is no distortion; the signal isn't being altered, hence clean.

3 types of amps: Tube, hybrid and solid state

Tube amps have a warm, fuzzy feeling kind of distortion because of ther tubes. However, the tubes require maintenance.

Hybrid amps use tubes in part of the circuit, but not the whole circuit. The distortion is supposed to be warmer due to the tubes, but many people do not agree so.

Solid state amps do not use tubes. They use a chip instead, so the distortion is not as warm as tube amps.

The clean signal is the same for all these 3 types of amps though.

I'd recommend a digital modelling amp(can model many sounds and effects using digital technology) and a strat-shaped guitar(light-weight) with HSS pickups(versatile) for you. The digital amp will come with many effects, so you wouldnt need to buy pedals+you can experiment around with the effects and different sounds.
Then again. we can recommend, but you'll never know which guitar or amp is best for you unless you try it out yourself.

Last edited:
Yeh, good mindset.
I'm almost in the same situation as you.
And i'm also doing my O's now, trying to go against the system.
Afterall, for me its do or die. :p

Good luck.

off topic lol but its a really stupid thing to do.ruin your future and what?
your parents support you for the rest of your life if you dont make it?:???:

ps:you can study get yur papers and still go after your interest in music.

off topic lol but its a really stupid thing to do.ruin your future and what?
your parents support you for the rest of your life if you dont make it?:???:

ps:you can study get yur papers and still go after your interest in music.
Who said anything about ruining the future?
Going against the system doesn't necessary means ruining one's future.
Nobody said anything about not progressing nor being dependent on parents.
I have no idea how you get your idea of ruining the future but if you would like to tell me more you're welcomed to PM me, to keep this thread for its original purpose.

Latest posts

Back