help with buying first electric guitar~ >.<

FYI. Digital amps are either solid state or hybrid with digital effects. I've never come across a digital tube amp. x.X

Hey, isn't Zoom G9.2tt a tube multieffect?
Or is the Roland Cube series of digital chorus and delay what you mean?

Well in my opnion, you don't have to buy a Big and Expensive amps for like 3k.
Because, when you are performing in Gigs or outdoors, you cant bring that gigantic amp with you. Furthermore, You cant play that loud in your HDB as the police might come knocking on your door ^_^. I think buying a better quality guitar is better as it comes with you when you are giging or performing. Quality of sound is important too, Fender, Gibson, Ibanez. Three of the best. Magnificent sound and guitar quality. Won't regret having one. You could also use a pedal. Why not buy a BOSS GT-8 or zoom G 9.2tt? Lol thats just an opinion though. Good luck ! =)

Because, when you are performing in Gigs or outdoors, you cant bring that gigantic amp with you. Furthermore, You cant play that loud in your HDB as the police might come knocking on your door ^_^. I think buying a better quality guitar is better as it comes with you when you are giging or performing. Quality of sound is important too, Fender, Gibson, Ibanez. Three of the best. Magnificent sound and guitar quality. Won't regret having one. You could also use a pedal. Why not buy a BOSS GT-8 or zoom G 9.2tt? Lol thats just an opinion though. Good luck ! =)

aww you really dont know your stuff well.

the mockingbird shape originates from bc rich, and the fernandes ones are just nice mij copies.
check out digimart.net, can see some great and cheap guitars there.
also, a good thing to point out is that the bc riches in davis are the lower ends one, you wouldnt wanna buy a lemon.also, the recent mockingbirds from bc rich have lost the distinct cloud inlay, other then that, the mia and mij bc riches are good stuff, but the difficulty is in finding one actually in stock in SG.

yea man miss that guitar, sounded great and made me feel like hide. haha.

Since we're at this topic can i ask... Which is the better choice? A Roland cube 30 or a Vox VT30? Considering that they are 2nd hand at the same price of aprox. $250

Since we're at this topic can i ask... Which is the better choice? A Roland cube 30 or a Vox VT30? Considering that they are 2nd hand at the same price of aprox. $250

do not look at items and judge them based on price. Go try each one out make your own statements.

Heres an example :
You cannot say a gibson lp standard is better than a fender strat. Both are two different things.

Firstly do understand that there are tube amps/sold state amps.

Many have the assumption that a tube amp is much better than solid states but dont buy it for home practice due to space constrain and volume problems.

Well vox has come up with their new AC4. Go check it out. Its a small sized tube amp which sounds killer.

As for addressing the quote above? What do you mean by Ibanez Gibson and Fender being :

3 of the best? what are you basing your claim on when u say such a thing?

Build? Looks? Pickups?

Have u heard a brandless self assembled guitar trash a Fender?
Have you seen bad quality gibsons?

What about brands like Gretsch, ESP, PRS, Tokai, Orville etc..?

There is no 'best' guitar. 'Best' is subjective.

If a guitar feels great in the players hand means it could v possibly be the guitar for him.

Tone wise can come from a variation of things. Strings? Rusty or not? Pickups? Muddy? Bright? High output? Compressed? Wood of guitar? Amp youre playing through? Cable?

Many factors can determine different things.

I'm not that sure but anything above 50 watts is pretty big and loud and $$$. Plus, I THINK solid state amps wouldn't need to be cranked to get a good tone out it. Those are tube amps. The point of the a power attenuator is allow you to push the tube amp's volume to get the good tone out of the tubes but keep the actual volume you hear reasonable for bedroom levels. I'm not 100% on this, you might want to ask in your thread.

Personally i would just stick to at most 50watts, and not waste money on an attenuator. I rather buy pedals or other stuff instead.

(not from this thread)
uhm yah >_> following up to...person somewhere in this thread (lazy to check) who said 50watts are good and attenuator would solve the problem of living in hdb.

any comments :l

Blackstar amps`

try blackstar amps.. they are awesome.. as good as marshall, but much cheaper.. check em out.. there's a shop that sells them at penin

blackstar was started by some engineers who quit marshall, after they left marshall, the next marshall series released was the marshall mg series which sucks in comparison to older marshalls.. shows how much they missed those engineers..

all i want to remind you is... 'DON'T BUY SECOND HAND GUITARS'.

the reason is that you don't know anything about e/guitar since this will be your first buy. if you have dealt with a dirty seller, your first impression to e/guitar will be:

'oh damn, its very complicated and have to spend a lot on servicing works and moreover, yet i have to spend much effort to bring this to technician and spend over it also'

so my suggestion here is:

get someone who you can trust and who understands about e/guitars. make sure he/she must have neutral mind-set in brands.

window-shop the shops. see the design you like. ask the price, check with your friend who understands the e/guitars as mentioned above if the price is the right price or not. cuz i know some shops they like to f*** you to the max if you don't understand. i have seen some shops ask about 5K for MIK.

after you feel that the price is correct with the brand and made, test the guitar. make sure you test it with distortion. hold the guitar body, don't strum the strings, don't shake the trem, don't switch the pickups and there shouldn't be any noise coming out from the amp. if there noise, ask the sale person to ground the amp. check the same thing again. (the noise here means buzzing or statics)

if there ain't no noise, then try to press every single fret and play one string by one string from fret no.1 to no.22/24 if there is any buzz sound or not (without distortion).

try to push or bend the strings if the whole bending process produce clean tone or not. if you bend 1/2 step, does it give you clean tone? if you bend full step, does it give you clean tone? if whole bending steps give you clean tone... all frets have the right levels, which is good.

***don't be shy to press from fret no.1 to no.22/24 cuz it looks abit like an idiot*** don't give a d*** to it cuz you are the end user after all.

if e/fret is producing clean tone, try to play around with machine head. does the tone of e/single string follow the twist of tuning head or not.

check the whole finger board. if you think the board is curved either inward or outward, ask the sale person to adjust it.

**** again, don't be shy to ask anything you don't understand or you are not sure****

if you're buying the one with floyd rose, make sure you use... Edge pro, ZR or original floyd rose. Khlar also not bad.

after all, study a little about e/guitar before you buy.

****I REPEAT, ALL TONE MUST BE CLEAN, SMOOTH AND CORRECT AT ALL FRETS WITHOUT PRESSING HARD ENOUGH LIKE IN ACOUSTIC GUITARS OR BENDING THE STRINGS. DON'T BE HESITATED TO ASK THE SALE PERSON TO CHANGE TO ANOTHER GUITAR. IF ANY DOUBT, DON'T BUY. LEAVE THE SHOP*****

it doesn't matter which brand you choose, what it really matters is what can it give you when you buy it.... skill, theory, style, knowledge?

Latest posts

Back