help with buying first electric guitar~ >.<

love_replicate

second edit
hehe looks like me not the only one intending to myself a guitar after the o's .Sorry 2 hijack but thoughts on gibson les paul studio or schecter hellraiser solo 6 fr?thinking of getting either one but may follow what bryandt said get a cheap one first.So any recommandation on either guitars?:) thanks!

yea welcome learning2play to this thread lol *pops confetti*~

end edit

edit:
;^; OMGOMG IM REALLY THANKFUL TO YOU ALL. i didn't expect this to actually go on to *counts* six pages! you guys are sweeter than...than....than that syrup thingy they put into bubble tea. WITHOUT DILUTING WITH WATER!!!! ahh~~

ok moving on to the edit: after six pages here are things i have learnt already, because i can't expect everybody to read EVERY page:

first, i now know that for around 2K you can get high-end guitars already. which, in the past, i assumed 300$ guitars were those that you buy today and...spoil themselves tomorrow. but now i know that's not true! while my budget remains at 4.5k i must also admit that i doubt i'll blow it all. and i've also come to realise that items like pedals could always come later - there is also a general opinion that the amp and the guitar itself are about equally important.
also i used to carry the notion that i want to just go straight and buy 1 guitar which i will stick to for the rest of my life, but now i find it so clear that shouldn't be the way..there will be a lot of trial and error along the journey.
yah, that's the whole TLDR thing for the thread.

thank you sooo much soft folks you guys made my...day? week? month? okay, you guys are awesome.
and yah sometimes it seems i don't reply and stuffs but it's because i'm busy on weekdays (SCHOOL!!! D:) and i don't have much time except maybe i'll come by and skim through thread replies. then when i am free i'll come and really take a deep look at everything. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!! AHH!!!! *pops sparkling juice* no wines cos im underage :O
(end edit)

hello i hope i'm not in the wrong forum -.- sorry for crashing this professional place but i'm really...kinda despo haha >_>;

budget's under 4.5k. that includes everything - strap, amp, pedals(dont really know what it does though), and...idk, whatever else i am supposed to include, and of course the guitar itself.

if it helps, i listen to luna sea, dir en grey, x japan, emilie autumn, the dresden dolls, my chemical romance, l`arc~en-ciel, head phones president, the gazette, miyavi...and i already have a classical guitar (TGM...not a famous brand i guess, got it from ranking @ bbcomplex)

i read up a little about electric guitars, amps, gears etc online, but really i don't catch any ball-.-

and i am not thinking of getting a guitar just for fun-fun, i'm very serious about entering the world of music...

so far i know, i would have to get a guitar itself, and an amplifier, there is this thing called a pedal, and this thing called a tuning machine, and noobs like me shouldn't try to worry too hard about technical insybitsy details yet (since i dont even know what they are)...and it is okay to pick a guitar going by instinct. ._. is this true? D:

i've already mapped out a plan, i will like slowly visit every guitar shop i know in sg and pick the guitars very very slowly and carefully one by one, and then take note of the ones i like first, and after i've ran out of shops to "disturb" (disturb cos...imagine some xiao zha bor come in your shop try so many guitar and leave w/o buying XD) and then after that i will finally buy my first electric guitar!!

but i'm kind of...scared >.< i don't want to end up buying a guitar that doesnt suit me and regret it..this 4.5k is my entire life's worth of angpaos, edusave award moneys and other misc. savings of 16 years... ;^; ok actually its 5k but my mum will flip if she finds out i blew it all...she guards my bank book real tight. hush guys, she doesn't know anything yet! :X it's supposed to be a surprise. ^^ she hates rock music

so i thought i should ask for opinions from..people who know what they are doing first..haha. (i don't know many "music" people sob, has to turn to strangers on the internet! beware of Stranger Danger. XD) also note i'm only going to buy it mid-november so i have a lot of time and patience (at least, about the patience of 3 months! :D) to listen to advice from pros and all. >.<

thanks for reading this! i'm ever long-winded thus i write really long blocks of text. hope it wasn't too much of a chore for you. all replies will be greatly appreciated!

dethhart

Last edited:
first of all. 4.5K for a beginner budget is ALOT.

And is there any specific guitar shape or guitar brand you're looking at?

You can afford an ESP/MIJ Ibanez/(insert name of 3000 dollar guitar here) and a decent amp. 3k for guitar, 1k for amp, 50 for miscellaneous crap like tuner+strap, 450 for various other shit like pedals, maybe zhng your guitar with some active pickups.

You may like Jackson too, but I won't recommend them to you. Cus I don't see you listing metal under your musical choices, not that Jacksons don't do anything other than metal, I don't like seeing people play anything other than metal on Jacksons.

My recommendation? Just get the best your budget allows, you won't regret it. Scrap the idea of a Gibson though, they're unreliable as far as QC goes.

Wow.. With that type of budget, u can buy whole load of stuffs... Why not just start off with a decent starter pack? My choice would be the Craftsman lespaul GS100 available at City Music... Only cost around $360.. Includes everything u need to start off with.. But hey thats just my opinion let's see what the others have to say...

Just remember .. Even u have a 3k Guitar but a $200 amp = bad... 3k Guitar with a $400 Guitar = Bad.. Get everything even.. Every part of the equipment makes a different and all are important Cheer~~!

got a feeling this is some prank eh, hope i'm wrong. Sorry about that.

Anyway, agreed with ex14. 4.5k u can get those high end ones already.

tahahaha,
ops add on;
Anyway for jrock, most of them uses ESP and burny. Maybe you can consider them?

3k Amp.... Police will start knocking on her door...

thats what an attenuator is for, and really, given a chance to learn guitar again, i would start with a good amp rather than a good guitar. i used a 15 watter and my learning curve never shot up, until i got a decent 50 watt amp

wow

i am lost. in the above myraid of replies. @__________@

give me a few hours to digest all of that or something.

uhm, well, i am not looking for any specific brands or builds...
but i would like a set of equipment that is...versatile...in a sense that there are less restrictions to the kind of sounds i can create, i'd love to experiment XD;; oh but i dono, maybe i'd prefer an Fender, ESP or a Gibson, seems that the guitarists i prefer play those brands too. but well they are rockstars and rockstars are rich and rockstars have sponsors! i am not a rockstar, boo hoo. ):

and...i know this is kind of demanding for me >.< but i am really *noob* to the core and i have no clue about anything..

is it possible that when you suggest i buy this and that, you explain why? D: in...layman english, i don't speak guitar (yet!)

and yes, i am willing to blow all 4.5k, i want the best that this amount of green can get me. :D

thanks so much guys *touched to tears sob sob sob* XD;

i'm unfamiliar with forums, lazy to quote tag- copy and paste is my best friend.

"narrow down wad u need, might help in choosing!"
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I NEED! haha~

"Cus I don't see you listing metal under your musical choices"
you're right, i'm not a big fan of metal, unfortunately. is Jackson a brand? (or are you referring to MJ...but that would be very no link...)

"they're unreliable as far as QC goes."
what is QC? >.< hide plays gibson...oh and i like hide...

"My choice would be the Craftsman lespaul GS100 available at City Music..."
firstly, where is city music? ._.

"get a 3k amp 1k guitar and 500 to play around on pedals"
"Get everything even"
alright. play scissors paper stone or something! i want to know who's more...reliable...! ;^;

"got a feeling this is some prank eh"
HUH. what prank.

"3k Amp.... Police will start knocking on her door..."
so, the more expensive the amp, the louder? shouldn't it be like, more expensive, sound quality better...

OMG THANK Y'ALL SO MUCH YOU GOT NO IDEA HOW MUCH THIS MEANS TO ME T________T *touched to tears*

(why people say 4.5k is a lot? i mean, yah, can buy lots of stuff, like probably a years supply of chicken rice and nasi lemak to fill your tummy, but then, i've always thought musical instruments are damn damn ex...some more e. guitar needs all sorts of gears to come with...)

irrelevant but i am now starting to feel insecure about revealing my life savings to the internet. =.=
please dont rob UOB bank tomorrow...

Last edited:
Pratice with a good amp is good =) as u are able to heard all your mistake u make =)... With 5K u can really get hell lot of stuff...

lol. to cut short the unnecessary replies, i highly advice you to read up a little on guitars, if not everything we say will be just bullshit to you.

also, do note that there are alot of morons here on soft who give advice without knowing their stuff well, so take advice with a pinch of salt.

personally, i highly advice on a 3k amp 1k guitar and 500 to play around. why?
let me break it down for easier comprehension.

firstly, i am a huge x japan fan, i collect alot of their stuff, even bootlegs, some songs which you have never even heard before, even before hide was in x japan. so generally i know what tone you wanna achieve.

alright, for guitars.
hide does NOT use a gibson.
he used gibson in his early days, when he was in middle school, a fat kid with no friends with just his gibson les paul to play his KISS songs.
also, i do not advice blowing 3k on a gibson. why?
firstly, a les paul neck is effing thick, not beginner friendly.
sure, you may argue alot of shit to me, and stuff, but dont get me wrong, i am no gibby hater, i do like gibson, but imho, get a gibson ONLY if you know what tone you want, not because your favourite artist uses it.

next i will move on to effects.
base on my experience, stompboxes never stay long with you.
PAS, pedal acquiration syndrome is deadly, you will change your effects like crazy in your search for the perfect tone, hence, 500 is a decent amount for either a multi effects, or a couple of stompboxes to fit your needs.

next will be the most important factor.
the super ultra underrated amplifier.
a softie quoted me saying a 3k amp would be too loud.
well like i have clarified an attenuator would solve this.

next, yes naturally the more expensive amp, the better sound quality it gives, but of course, its louder, way louder then your shitty 15 watt amp which alotta dumbasses get.

im damn lazy to type alr. if further help is needed, do say so.

Yes Jackson is a guitar brand, their guitars are particularly pointy.

=LadyInTears
Yea I know, I was just pointing out the fact that 2 people concur already. :)

Back to love_replicate
Eh... You're a girl ah. Remember to take into account for the size of your hands, short fingers, don't get something with wide string spacing (eg Jackson Guitars) or you will find learning a real pain in the ass. Just go and slowly look for your guitar. Look for a female soft member to show you around. A lot of guys here are creepy stalkers.

save up 70% of your budget and get a good beginner guitar and a good amp. practice first. and you will know what you need as time goes by. there's no point listening to advices and not knowing what you need. maybe get a 2nd hand fender and a vox valvetronix or the ac4tv.

Latest posts

Back