help with buying first electric guitar~ >.<

My first electric guitar is $300.. lol.. You can get a Ibanez guitar.. Floyd rose.. hmm.. yeah. it is a good choice for heavy metal.. but i dun encourage gibson lp for rock.. in my view.. lp is more for blue stuff.. rock.. but not heavy metal..

imo, get a basic guitar first. it'll help you appreciate your EXPENSIVE guitar, IF you continue. you wont lose that much money buying a basic guitar, there's always the 2nd hand market to sell it to. :D

My first electric guitar is $300

could i ask, what's your first guitar like? (i mean, what does it sound like :l...uhm, not, what is its model name yah oh but that's useful info haha)

there's always the 2nd hand market to sell it to.

i hope i'm not being too much of a girl here, but i do have this nagging instinct telling me i'll never have the heart to sell off a guitar if i've played it for a good number of days. :l

except of course if she's a beech and refuses to agree with me no matter how hard i try to please her. >=(

the same goes for why i don't really like the idea of purchasing a second-hand from a stranger...selfish aren't i XD

but i do appreciate your suggestion. i understand where you're coming from (appreciating a more exp. guitar)

but i dun encourage gibson lp for rock.. in my view.. lp is more for blue stuff.. rock.. but not heavy metal..

o rly?
Kirk_Hammet_Les_Paul_by_karpett.jpg

Aldrich.jpg

4.5k is alot of money for a first guitar and misc.
Anyway, you should just do more research on what you really want.
I never knew the value of my first guitar until I tried my friend's cheaper Epiphone SG. Made me feel so good about my MIM Strat. Why don't you try all the guitars in the different price ranges until you can no longer feel or hear a significant difference; that way you know that you whats best for you. But leave aside about 1k to get you a decent amp. Just my two cents.

dudelove - i think i heard that slash (ex-guns n roses) is releasing a gibson model... ._. (i dont know how true it is, and i dont know if its LP)

Why don't you try all the guitars in the different price ranges until you can no longer feel or hear a significant difference;

i'd love to, but not now. the ministry of education is fond of keeping school folk in school for...ever. well not for me, i'm thinking of hitting davis, sweelee, ranking sports and blackwood (since they are all within walking distance of each other:D) starting from start-november, (which is the near the end of the Evil O)

but i don't want to go there absolutely clueless, doing research on the internet is minimal help because i don't catch all that fancy Guitar Vocabulary. so i crashed this forum. (whooops..!)

on a side note, how many days do you think it will take for a person to try about almost guitar from each of those four shops..? ok, that is practically impossible. my initial plan was just to start going in around nov, everyday, trying guitars one by one...noting those i've taken a liking to (and their price) and after all that i'll somehow make a decision. must sound dumb to you folks haha.

you can also try squier. or some other not-that-well-known brand.. like timbre.. etc etc. all guitars are suitable for all genres lah... it depends on how you play.. nothing wrong with you getting a 100 dollars guitar.. you can still play it..

and and

hero12ohlg8.jpg

\m/

nice supreme as compared to jonas brothers' one.. lol.

imo, get a basic guitar first. it'll help you appreciate your EXPENSIVE guitar, IF you continue. you wont lose that much money buying a basic guitar, there's always the 2nd hand market to sell it to.

+10000 to above statement. I think he's right. :D

But seriously, this girl is damn cute la. :lol: The Jackson -> MJ just killed me.

Kinda remind me of my girlfriend when she first got schooled in Music by me, but sadly she still controls my expenditure. XD *DANG*

Firstly, a 4.5k budget is huge for a beginner!! I wish I had that much to start with. However, my advise is not to splurg it. It's your life savings, think about it. You may need it in the near future for studies, for a rainy day or even to help your mom.

Do heed the advice above, many beginners take that rite of passage to discover what they really want in future.

**based on a true story**

The main character = ME :twisted:

I picked up e-guitar because of X-JAPAN and hide. Loved everything about him and the rest of J-Rock for that matter. Luna Sea, Siam Shade, Larc En Ciel, ELLEGARDEN, GAZETTE, Alice 9, ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION, Beat Crusaders, Plastic Tree etc. basically everything J-Rock. Drowned myself in it.

On impulse, I bought a B.C. Rich Mockingbird solely because it looked like hide's guitar, and the only brand of which i could afford. His original burny and fernandes ones were way expensive. Thus, 2k plus for guitars are already considered high end girl, not the average price. I was lucky i got the B.C. Rich one for only $300 at Davis(Excelsior Basement for your info).

Why so? Because 2 months into playing it, I realised i didn't like it. The horns were just annoying to play sitting down. And it neck-dived too (means that the head of the guitar drops down when slinged on). Thus, sold it.

Then i got introduced to something new. Everyone put your hands together for STEVE VAI. Power pack. Once again, I "thought" i heard my calling and got myself an Ibanez Jem Jr (which is his signature model cheap version), can't remember how much though, around $500 i reckon. Loved the Ibanez Jem neck at first, but after having lessons with Paul Daniel (guitarist of Ministry of Rock) and using his Fender Strat. I fell in love with the fat neck. I started to dislike the tone of the Jem as well. Thus, sold it.

So, i got myself an MIJ Fender Strat custom shop. Fine she was. Cost me 1.4k. Felt great sounded great. She stayed with me for 2.5 years, IN THE BAG~!!! haha. I treasured her so much I couldn't bear to play her or leave fingerprints. So my guitar playing stayed stagnant. I even lost interest and thought of quiting. Eventually, sold the Strat as she deserved a better owner who would 'DO' her well. XD

That's just for the e-guitar part. Don't get me started on the pedals and acoustic guitars. haha. Then a life changing moment happened... I attained enlightment when I played THE BASS GUITAR. Blew me away and re-ignited the flames in my heart to play music.

As a noob in Bass, I listened to many advice given by softies, just like you. As a result I convinced myself that I would get a cheap bass to learn. My dream Bass was an Ernie Ball MusicMan StingRay. Not for any rockstar this time, but for myself................... BULL*SHIT.............. haha, I didn't change one bit after all these years. However, though I liked Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers , who once used that Bass but not anymore, I liked the Bass myself as well.

So I bought an OLP MM2 which is the cheaper copy of the StingRay. $320. Thought it would serve me well for a fair amount of time. Sad to say, it didn't. LOL. Temptation took over and I ordered an actual StingRay Bass from the USA, 2 months after the OLP. This time costing me 2k++. Thus, sold the OLP MM2, like just now at 4.30pm today.

The StingRay is heavenly, nothing like I've ever played in my life. Everything is perfect. Sound, worksmanship, setup, playability, wood quality, beauty, you name it. But most importantly, when I look at it, I WANT TO PLAY IT. Though I treasure it alot, but a good instrument like that would do no good, if left unplayed. So I've been using it and thought I would never need another Bass.

WRONG. Thanks to fellow softie b33r who brought in a Lakland Bass. GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome) took over and I'm planning to buy one soon, which will cost me $1.8k+. :-D

So Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm a Bassist and a soon proud father of 2.

love_replicate, you see? Many things can happen along the way. Start cheap, then decide in the future when you know what you want.

Hope my grandfather story helped you, even if its a teeny-weeny bit, I'm happy.

Cheers everyone,
Bryandt

P.S. I don't even play J-Rock anymore too~ Now I play Alternative Rock, Classic Rock and the like. But that doesn't mean I don't love J-Rock still.

Last edited:
@bryandt

omg thankyew so much for writing out the entire story and all you have no idea how much this is gonna help me...your story very touching eh...! ;^;

here's a dumb question (but i want to be sure)

is that the horn you said was annoying?

i see what you're trying to say about buying guitars, then reselling them for a more favourable one...kind of enlightening haha -.-...
you ended up drifting from electric gutiar to bass didn't you? how long have you been playing...? ._.

THE JACKSON WAS BECAUSE..i wanted to be sure t_t

Nope it's this part of the horn....

dsc00283km7s.jpg

It will be awkward when you are playing it sitting down because it tends to press against your chest. The other horn is more dangerous for guys i guess. :-D whahaha.

i see what you're trying to say about buying guitars, then reselling them for a more favourable one...kind of enlightening haha -.-...
you ended up drifting from electric gutiar to bass didn't you? how long have you been playing...? ._.

THE JACKSON WAS BECAUSE..i wanted to be sure t_t

Yes ma'am i did. That goes to show how MUCH things can change along the way. I played Guitar for 6 years before changing to Bass. Never regretted the switch though.

Anyway, you will come to realise that buying and selling gear is an inevitable thing, and that there is no cure for Gear Acquisition Syndrome. haha. I'm sure you will want more guitars in the future. You may keep your first guitar, but there's no doubt you will want to own another :-D

As for the Jackson thing, it made me laugh. haha. so no worries about it. On a side note, MJ rocks~!!

i clicked the thread and i saw hide guitar want faint @_@(lol sorry)

now that i've actually noticed it....nearly all guitars have horny-like shapes of some sort right? except, say, jumbos...

i really don't know how to ask, so i'll just be blatant-

will playing an e.guitar while sitting squash my...uhm..up there...? ._______.
for my classical...it leans against and it does squash a little..but it doesn't affect my physique luckily.
i dont know about e's cos i've never held one...

im not trying to attract negative kinds of attention i mean this seriously. also i notice most guitarists i see are male.
so what are girls supposed to do? any lady guitarists around? :l

although i'm not into his kind of music...i have nothing but respect in my heart for MJ.

Last edited:
Buying guitars is like dating.

You won't know what/who is really suitable for you until you have tried a few.
Its a voyage of discovery where you learn more about everything as well as yourself.

Hence, its extremely unwise to invest all your capital into your first guitar.

Start with a decent entry level one <$500 and a decent amp~$500 get a feel of how it is for a while.

Other things can be added as and when you need them.

Everything in life is a journey, every bit we encounter adds on to our experiences, so don't be too hasty to throw all that you have into the first thing that comes along.;)

hehe looks like me not the only one intending to myself a guitar after the o's .Sorry 2 hijack but thoughts on gibson les paul studio or schecter hellraiser solo 6 fr?thinking of getting either one but may follow what bryandt said get a cheap one first.So any recommandation on either guitars?:) thanks!

a quick note, learning2play i can edit my first post to include yours if you'd like (cos i think some ppl like me, read a thread halfway lazy and they don't get to the end XD so they wont see what u wrote..)

now that i've actually noticed it....nearly all guitars have horny-like shapes of some sort right? except, say, jumbos...

i really don't know how to ask, so i'll just be blatant-

for my classical...it leans against and it does squash a little..but it doesn't affect my physique luckily.

Yea, the horns are there to assist in balancing the guitar when slung. Looks cool too. But there are guitars like the flying Vs that defy this. Do note that sometimes the neck still dives(like I mentioned) despite the horns.

This is due to the head being very heavy or the overall balance is not there. Guitars like the BC Rich Mockingbird and Epiphone G-400 SG which I've tried are subjected to such problems. It can be solved by getting a leather strap that clings to your shirt though, to prevent the neck dive.

Neck dive will cause discomfort when playing standing up because the head will dip when you let go of the guitar, unlike those you see staying 45 degrees even when the hands are free. Test out these guitars and you will know what I mean. :D Some people are actually ok with the dive, some even like it. So once again, it's based on each individual.

As for your weird question, haha. You don't have worry I guess. I know many guitar chicks who are very well developed. Lucky guy? I don't think so. They're fierce. hahaha.

Anw, to answer some of your old questions.

QC = Quality Check
CityMusic = Peace Center Level 2
Amp = There's much more to learn than you think~
Stompboxes = Even more to learn, but that website pretty much sums up the common effects and their purpose.

As for you being proud and want everything to be yours. My bandmate is like that too. haha. But, if we gave you hide's actual guitar (one that he touched and played), you want? I guess not hor? Second-hand afterall.. whahahaha

:shock:

Well, you could get a HSS Strat; they're great for almost anything... i heard.
And it doesn't affect people's chest much.

Well... I guess.
I've seen man boobs slugging over the guitar.:-?

hehe looks like me not the only one intending to myself a guitar after the o's .Sorry 2 hijack but thoughts on gibson les paul studio or schecter hellraiser solo 6 fr?thinking of getting either one but may follow what bryandt said get a cheap one first.So any recommandation on either guitars?:) thanks!

If you're a beginner, do read through the threads like love_replicate did and find out what you really want.

To me your choices of guitars, both produce a very different kind of sound. Any particular sound of a rockstar you want to achieve? Or any particular genre you might want to explore? Do consider these.

A Les Paul Studio, though a Studio is rather pricey too, just because of the Gibson name. Yes its made to the same specifications as the actual Les Paul but minus the glam, thats what they say. But do think about the quality checks done on cheaper Gibsons in the end as well. I've tried the Studio and the actual Les Pauls (Standard and Traditional). They are worlds apart. Trust me.

For me I wouldn't bother with a Studio. A little top-up (and begging from your parents) may get you a full-flegded Les Paul Standard. However, if you're starting out, put the Gibson on hold first. LOL

It can be solved by getting a leather strap that clings to your shirt though, to prevent the neck dive.

so guitar necks that dive cause discomfort. i do know that wearing the strap round your neck causes discomfort (thanks to hide's rumours, them saying he was trying to do a neck massage thingy..btw RIP.)...

so do neck dives add on to that discomfort? or guitars that don't neck dive don't stress your necks at all? (my second question seems less possible-.-)

But, if we gave you hide's actual guitar (one that he touched and played), you want? I guess not hor? Second-hand afterall.. whahahaha

more like i don't feel worthy enough to touch. T__T

my problem is not with the guitar being second-hand, it's cos if the guitar was from some absolute stranger who i have no clue who s/he is at all...then i will feel a little odd i don't know why :l but i am an odd person myself hehe^^ (meaning to say, if a friend were to give me his guitar meaning well, then it'll be like an honour to accept it..) this is completely illogical i know, but...ahh, i dono!!! *ends reply abruptly*

and zerstorer sounds really right, he points out all the "right" things i should learn, which i was completely ignorant off when i just started this thread. thank you.

(learning2play: done! <:)

I've seen man boobs slugging over the guitar.

._.""

HSS strat...seems like a plausible build. i would definitely consider it. thank you~

Back