Searching for new amplifier!

There are a few new low wattage tube amps on the block.

Hughes and Kettner 25 anniversary all tube two channels 20 watt

editiont090129045542.jpg
Like where exactly can you get Hughes and kettner amps from anyway? Self-shipping or is there a dealer at all?

...first they want a small cheap tube amp for their bedroom....then try to mod it to launch rockets....

There's a shop in Bukit Timah Plaza, Pianoman something or other, that carries H&K solid state amps. None of those Triamp stuff though :(

Lightice, I agree with you on getting what I 'need'. Its the reason why I am researching about the various models. If I had all the budget in the world I would just walk into a store and buy now itself.

I am still open to SS amps. xklusivly4u mentioned some but they are kinda overbudget in my case. The HnK Edition Tube costs 1k+ after shipping etc. The Tiny Terror costs 900 just for head.

The Tiny Terror is not a solid state amp. Oh and definitely save a little more for the Bogner Alchemist, that amp is incredible for the price.

Last edited:
Xpher, bring your podXT to shops for testing the amp.
If possible, bring your guitar along too.

That way, you can never be wrong.

I'd like to mention to test the amp in different locations, with it facing different walls if possible.

Vox Night Train and AC4TV. Takes pedals well and relatively good cleans - dosent break up easily unlike the other vox amps in its class(AC15 and 30).

Tried both the other day and was pretty impressed with the way they took to my dirt pedal - I'm using a seventheaven. Got a good high gain chug that reminded me of the lead channel of those high gain 3 channel amps at lower volumes.

whee

He said he'd want something with a high-mid gain and that he wanted something to work with his podXT.

The bandit isn't a tube amp, its a hybrid.

You'd be surprised that many SS amps have good clean tones. Its just that the stock speaker isn't up to it.

I'm not discouraging the TS from buying a tube, but I'm putting things into perspective; that if you don't need it, why buy it?

Of course a good tube amp will give you glorious tone, but with the possibility of spending 75% less, you might get a SS amp that gets you 90% there.

But if you need high-mid gain, get an amp with a master volume. Or a hybrid that will push the pre amp tubes.

I have 3 tube amps, but they are not for bedroom practice. For practice I go back to my 10W SS amp. I always wear ear plugs when I play with my tube amps. They are just too loud.

True, but also going by this line of contention, he can stick with his podxt as well. Awesome tones through headphones to begin with. I agree that there are decent SS amps, but eventually he'll probably get bored and sick with the tones. As for the hybrid amps, i'm still skeptical - still not quite the thing. I see them as gimmicks, but well to each his own.

Back