Searching for new amplifier!

Xypher

Hey guys, I am resuming my search for an amp after a long break. I am slightly lost in the newer models of amps.

It has to be a combo (space constraint). I would prefer if it has good compatibility with MFX boards. Budget from 600 - 1000. I was recommended the Laney LC15/R and the Cube 60. I don't mind if its tube or SS. I rather have a good-sounding SS amp than a mediocre tube one.

Tone wise, something versatile with nice med-high gain would be preferred. I'm trying to get one to work well with my Podxt also.

Thanks in advance!

Get a clean amp since your XT should take care of your mid-high gain needs. Do a search on recent threads should yield you some favourable results.

I'd rightaway recommend the ENGL screamer 50 combo... but abit outta budget. I'm such an engl whore. sorry.

EDIT: sorry never read post properly

Last edited:
Eh actually i did mention. 600-1000. Do note i'm using it in a bedroom only.

Regarding the VS Workhorse, I have used it with a Gibson Les Paul. Was quite impressed with its sound but I played it at about level 4 volume IIRC. Does the amp fall under the 1K range?

Meanwhile i'm searching threads for past discussions.

Hmm, for bedroom use, unless if you're staying in a house, I suggest you go for an SS amp, unless if you find a tiny tube amp that you can really push the output tubes or you won't be getting a nice cranked amp tone. ENGLs definitely off budget.

There's always the option of a Blackheart little giant, it takes pedals pretty well.

Yea if tube, its gotta be less than 30W. If it takes the MFX well, i rather just use the high gain models from there.

Ok I shall do it some time soon.

I have seen some nice amps. Fender Blues Jr, Vox Night Train, BH Little Giant. All in the "small tube amp" range. Any suggestions?

Well, you can also consider the Vox VT50 or even the older AD50VT hybrids. They sound pretty good, with excellent versatility and are value for money.

edit:Just noticed you have a podxt, well its, an option.:)

Last edited:
It has to be a combo (space constraint). I would prefer if it has good compatibility with MFX boards. Budget from 600 - 1000. I was recommended the Laney LC15/R and the Cube 60. I don't mind if its tube or SS. I rather have a good-sounding SS amp than a mediocre tube one.

The LC15R is not mediocre tube tone... It's a great amp, value for money, AND sounds even more amazing thru a 4x12 cab. Think high high high gain chug...

Thing is, if you REALLY know what you're after, and are prepared to wait a little more, why not get the Ceriatone 18w Marshall clone?

Any tube amp , above 1W is loud enough to blow the windows off a closed room.

15W isn't all that much softer than a 30W tube amp.
If you're playing clean, thats fine. If you're going to even push a 15W tube, you'd need ear plugs or an attenuator.

My personal opinion is to not buy a tube amp and get a good SS amp that takes pedals well.

A good SS amp will serve you as a good practice, jam and bedroom amp for a long time to come.
Low maintenance, no need to wait for tubes to warm up, plug and play and a SS amp will sound the same at lower or higher volumes. Tube amps generally sound better when they pushing the tubes quite a bit. My experience is around 75% of their RMS, they hit breakup around 95-100% RMS, usually peaking around 150-175% RMS.

Just make sure the clean tone is good, else its a waste.

The money saved can go into a long term savings for future gear purchases or a rainy day.

Last edited:
Ok I shall do it some time soon.

I have seen some nice amps. Fender Blues Jr, Vox Night Train, BH Little Giant. All in the "small tube amp" range. Any suggestions?
hey bro, im may sell my marshall valvestate 20, its a really good amp for a 20 watt. its a solid state, u can check our harmony central. good reviews

The LC15R is not mediocre tube tone... It's a great amp, value for money, AND sounds even more amazing thru a 4x12 cab. Think high high high gain chug...

Thing is, if you REALLY know what you're after, and are prepared to wait a little more, why not get the Ceriatone 18w Marshall clone?

I think i phrased the para abit wrongly. Didn't mean to call the LC15R a mediocre amp. :D

>Lightice, any SS amps you have in mind?

BTW, I'm using the vox AD15VT hybrid now. Its not very compatible with MFX imo.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get one to work well with my Podxt also.

killer+ant+pp+express.JPG

my Killer Ant responds well to POD & other digital devices... love it.

There are a few new low wattage tube amps on the block.

Hughes and Kettner 25 anniversary all tube two channels 20 watt

editiont090129045542.jpg

Krank Rev Jr Pro two channels 20 watt half/full stack ( a bit more than your budget)

214242.jpg

Orange Dual Terror (tiny terror + fat channel) switchable between 7/15/30 watts
223807.jpg

Bogner Alchemist 20/40 watts (a bit more than your budget) you can get combo version too.
50058_p.jpg

Any tube amp , above 1W is loud enough to blow the windows off a closed room.

15W isn't all that much softer than a 30W tube amp.
If you're playing clean, thats fine. If you're going to even push a 15W tube, you'd need ear plugs or an attenuator.

My personal opinion is to not buy a tube amp and get a good SS amp that takes pedals well.

A good SS amp will serve you as a good practice, jam and bedroom amp for a long time to come.
Low maintenance, no need to wait for tubes to warm up, plug and play and a SS amp will sound the same at lower or higher volumes. Tube amps generally sound better when they pushing the tubes quite a bit. My experience is around 75% of their RMS, they hit breakup around 95-100% RMS, usually peaking around 150-175% RMS.

Just make sure the clean tone is good, else its a waste.

The money saved can go into a long term savings for future gear purchases or a rainy day.

I think the threadstarter mentioned his intention of using his mfx to obtain his desired distorted tones. If anything, the tube amp should remain clean and maintain a suitable level of headroom before it is pushed to distorted levels. Furthermore, tube amps aren't only sought after for their overdriven tones, but also for their clean tones. Most solid-state amps (with the exception of the Roland JC series and perhaps the cube series) are pretty lacking in terms of their clean tone, at times ice-pickly and sterile - again due to character and nature of solid state amplifiers.

If he has the budget, I'd say go for it and enjoy the tube amp. If he needs early break up, he can change the tubes and the amp will break up at around 3-4. The thing is, he can probably play small gigs with such amps and that would stretch his dollar in terms of versatility. I remembered trying to play my amp at a friend's birthday party in a small enclosed room: at 15 watts, I could barely get my amp to stay clean, and that's with stock tubes. In general, the lower end tube amps (bandit series included) tend to sound pretty bad at higher volumes, IIRC - i used to own one.

333_212_FRONT-436c40a50939a5759dcbd527fc94c87b.jpg

Very interesting amp than should cost under a grand.But the downside.No dealer for this amp.What a waste.

whee

He said he'd want something with a high-mid gain and that he wanted something to work with his podXT.

The bandit isn't a tube amp, its a hybrid.

You'd be surprised that many SS amps have good clean tones. Its just that the stock speaker isn't up to it.

I'm not discouraging the TS from buying a tube, but I'm putting things into perspective; that if you don't need it, why buy it?

Of course a good tube amp will give you glorious tone, but with the possibility of spending 75% less, you might get a SS amp that gets you 90% there.

But if you need high-mid gain, get an amp with a master volume. Or a hybrid that will push the pre amp tubes.

I have 3 tube amps, but they are not for bedroom practice. For practice I go back to my 10W SS amp. I always wear ear plugs when I play with my tube amps. They are just too loud.

Back