what warm ups to do before gigs/jamming?

InCuTing

Hi!

Would like to know what the rest of you do to warm up your chords for a singing session?

i don't do proper warm ups..and it ends up that the first few songs that i jam will sux...or maybe even after warm up..it still suxs..hahaha...

cheers!

Yeah I have similar problems, so I'll like to know.

Cause on some days I can hit higher pitches and sometimes i feel "constained/locked". Unable to project higher. How do you "warm up"?

sweat?

yeah besides making sure you're not too cold, you can try drinking some warm water. when you perform in strongly airconditioned places your voice will get a bit locked up. sure doesn't help if you're shivering too; confirm "zhao xia" and voice will feel tight-ish.

heh. not that i got a lot of experience.

before jamming...i'll sing a song with a big range. like kelly clarkson. just one. and then more or less will be okay.

and don't forget to breathe during the first song. i find for myself that it helps to consciously tell myself to breathe. shallow breathing=cannot sing.

i always put one hand in front of my mouth to monitor the air coming out.

Hmm.

I normally warm up with songs I know I can readily sing very well in.. or those which I feel comfy with. Then I progress slowly up the ladder.. and drink warm water I guess. Tip: fishermen's friend lozenges are fantastic for loosening up your throat.. smoothens and refreshes ur throat.

e

wat i learn from professional is to drink hot water with pure honey...

Also some singers do not talk much for the day and drink olive oil to 'smoothen' down their vocal chords..

But whatever u do, have the 'feel' in the songs... if its a happy song, be happy and energetic... if its the 'soapy' songs, feel like u just broken up with ur gf/bf...

Thats wat i do during jamming, unless my bandmates corked up.. that will be a real nuisance

hi, i not an very active user in soft.com, but i do popby here when i'm free...

hmmm... just to share my thoughts... for myself, the day b4 jamming, DO NOT learn or sing aloud... "save" ur voice, and to rest ur voice, drink starfurit juice to clear ur body. During jamming, drink honey and plain water... do not drink during the breaks on the song, but after one song after another... this is because u shld not cool down ur voice so fast since u r singing...

as for warm ups, i think is more to a mind thing than the physical singing. u must have to boost ur morale/ confident, and to enjoy wat u singing... the warm up song u sing MUST be/ have:

- very comfortable song,
- big range for u to "stretch" ur vocal chords,
- be a song u like and enjoy veri much,
- a song u confident in.

cheers, and lets do it togather..

buy the 50ml absolut bottle. down half of it 30sec before u go up on stage...halfway during your set down the other half.

Usually, I just randomly sing any song before jamming, before I get out of the house. Haha.

Drink lots of water, and its better not to eat before jamming/gigs. You don't wanna let out a big burp :lol: Oh and it's harder to sing with a full stomach too. For me, that is.

When you feel like you're about to lose your voice, DRINK WATER! When throat feels uncomfortable, DRINK WATER! So basically just drink water la :lol:

Most importantly, just relax :D

Hmm.

^ I dunno what the pluck is so great abt it.... IMO the effort gone into creating it has gone down the drain because everybardy knows it's just a fiasco.

basic 5BX streching excercise - tend to do a loota acrobatics on stage... :lol: 8)

just dont sing those crazily difficult songs first.. leave them to the middle or end of the set. warmup/start off with something easy and simple. then work ur way up.

cheers :eek: ah!

i don't really do vocal warmups..
i just practice some lines off the songs
(to root the lyrics down seamlessly so that i can focus on other things.. like presentation)
about an hour or half an hour before the set starts
and from then on until the set starts,
i'll keep talking to my friends so that it stays that way without straining my voice.
so that it's warmed up enough, cords are prepared...

warming up right before a set makes me squeak.. besides..

last minute vocal preparations (preparations like singing the songs you're performing) shouldn't be done during warmups
(you should have practiced days before the gig!! *shakes finger*),
it's risky cos
sometimes if you wanna reattempt certain parts here and you can't do it, it'll affect your confidence right before going on stage and that's a badddd thing... bad bad bad. :?

so...
this is how i warm up..

1 - go one corner somewhere, away from everyone
(but not too far, if not by the time you reach the stage you'll be damn tired or you'll miss your set.. which can be quite funny.)
somewhere cosy,
somewhere you can stretch your legs and just slack
(i wouldn't recommend the toilet; quite noisy as ppl take breaks at this point, and it's not quiet enough......................... plus it stinks, how to breathe like that?) k go there

2 - with a bottle of water
take a couple of sips in between...
try not to gulp, drink slowly
don't drink too much k?
not easy to sing while holding your pee on stage..
then when you're all cosy and stuff...

3 - just play the melodies and tunes in your head, imagine its full sound
and
>> STONE like time stood still << (important cos you need to get into a comfortable trance-like state) while replaying the performance in my head pulling off everything confidently
esp on difficult parts... like
eg. on a part you're supposed to pitch high, i imagine my forehead extending upwards.. looks pretty freaky in my head but quite shiok the feeling, cos the sensation's important if i'm gonna pull that off the same way or
eg. if i'm supposed to project with accented words, i tend to imagine daggers shooting out really fast out of my mouth. LOL. i'm cursed with an overcreative imagination)

4 - two mins before getting on stage, i mosh like a hXc-er.
jump on the spot, swing my arms like mr bean in that pub-dance-date episode, shake my butt, rotate my neck
to shake all the nerves out...
but not too hard else you'll get giddy and worse
you might break something
don't do this in front of ppl k? unless weird stares are your thing
and might help your gut, then by all means go ahead

5 - get on stage (before starting),
watch and observe the audience a bit
and see what's up with them (who's flirting, who's bored, who's depressed, who's drunk, who's lonely, who's horny, who's deep in thought, etc)
for two reasons;
- to feel like they're more or just as exposed than you are
(helps stage fright a LOT) and
- to familiarize the surroundings and know how and where to throw your attention to,..
* audience interactions during singing contributes a lot on how your song's gonna leave an impact, your confidence, and your vocal quality *
so by understanding how to leave your mark on their specific current feelings, you'll know how to portray the lyrics to them.
use their current states as a medium to get the message of the song across.
remember... we're all human and your lyrics should be understood (unless you're writing on lyrics that doesn't make sense or are about animals on discovery channel lah.)

6 - grin to yourself cos you know everyone's gonna be blown away by your band's awesome music
team confidence worked here; you're not a solo singer okay? don't step rockstar, you need their support more than you might think at this point
and
KNOW and REMIND YOURSELF to have much fun.
it's a delightful feeling.
to me this preperation is just as important.. becosh
if you're not happy and excited about giving your best shot,
once the audience start paying attention,
stage fright tend to occur
and what follows up is a series of problems
(bad vocal quality, shaking voice, face turn red, your body heats up and you can't breathe, cords tense up)

that's it!
sorry lah i'm not pro and i hate exercise.. what to do
my warmups are more mental than vocal but hey! it works.

Back