What made you choose the bass ?

Hello fellow music enthusiats!!

Well, Im a drummer but i would to give me sincere compliments to ALL bassists.

The bassist is the most overlooked instrument in a band. People, who are not "musical" will not pay any attention to the bass grooves and bass lines.. And normally the bassist is the fat guy standing at the back next to the drummer. haha.

But without a bassist, a song will sound like a soccer player without legs, a fisherman without his rod, a hunter without his rifle. Bassists are the core to a band.

I have cooperated with many good bassists in my time. And I would like to thank all bassists who read this post. Though you may not be noticed much, your service to the band is one of most importance.

TO ALL BASSISTS, KEEP THE GROOVES ALIVE AND STRINGS PLUCKING!!! =)

Thanks for the compliments dude. Your post had my bass weeping for hours:mrgreen:

i play bass because i love the deep/growly/punchy sound of the bass which is very very diff from the guitar etc etc. and bass very groovy and cool lah! huahuahua :mrgreen:

there have been many lousy bassists in the last decade or so, and this has greatly contributed to the bass being an under-noticed instrument. many people believe that the bass is not noticeable due to the nature of the instrument. this is bullshit.

the difference between the bass and the guitar is due to the physical characteristics of the instruments. it is not due to stylistic preferences.

firstly, the bass has a much wider frequency range than a guitar. secondly, it is more percussive than a guitar. the bass and guitar would sound totally different even if they were playing the same thing, note for note.

are there any rules as to the stylistic approach an instrument is supposed to be played? that is not music.

go watch how stanley clarke plays a double bass.

people may be wrong to believe that the bass is a naturally less prominent instrument. but they may be right to believe that the bass player is not carrying his weight in the band.

honestly?

i feel that john deacon looks weird on the bass.
haha.
so yea, i think bassists have been stereotyped to be fat, or rather, someone who has bigger build.
maybe due to the frequencies of the bass or the size of the bass etc.

personally?

good that they're fat,
cause i'm too.

lawl.

there have been many lousy bassists in the last decade or so, and this has greatly contributed to the bass being an under-noticed instrument. many people believe that the bass is not noticeable due to the nature of the instrument. this is bullshit.

the difference between the bass and the guitar is due to the physical characteristics of the instruments. it is not due to stylistic preferences.

firstly, the bass has a much wider frequency range than a guitar. secondly, it is more percussive than a guitar. the bass and guitar would sound totally different even if they were playing the same thing, note for note.

are there any rules as to the stylistic approach an instrument is supposed to be played? that is not music.

go watch how stanley clarke plays a double bass.

people may be wrong to believe that the bass is a naturally less prominent instrument. but they may be right to believe that the bass player is not carrying his weight in the band.

You'll be surprised at how good some 'root-note bassists' are. Some people likes to hold the groove and leave the flash to the guitarists. It doesnt mean they're incompetent technically. Im sure theres as many, if not more 'lousy' guitarists than bassists. Having said that I think that more bassists can try to be more adventourous in their playing despite the tradition.

And, last I checked, guitars have a wider range than basses. Unless you're talking about custom made 12 strings basses etc.

I know you're a bass elitist but lets face it, instruments like piano and guitar are naturally more suited to play lead parts. Due to the wider/higher range.

Kudos to people like wooten and jaco who takes bass playing to the next level. But still Id rather hear a Beethoven piece played on piano than on bass.

what i meant was the dynamic range, not the tonal range.

and 'root note bassists' can be good. but i'm not talking about the bassists, i'm talking about the potential of the instrument not being fully realised

there are lousy guitarists but that's something to be discussed in People - Guitar

there is no reason why a guitar and a bass both cannot play intricate parts and be layered to form a melody. in fact, that's basically what a piano is - treble and bass parts. i don't see many (if any) piano scores where the left hand is playing merely root notes. but with what are essentially treble and bass parts being split up into 2 seperate instruments played by 2 people, stylistic approach aside, you would expect the guitar-bass combination to be much more than a piano

The coolness of playing bass .
The sound of the bass .
What you can do cool things with the bass .
And the incredible thing you can do with just four string .

I wanted to play bass because i got inspired by FLEA .

Bass for life ! And guitar because i play both . hehehehe .

for me...

i was a guitarist for 2 years..
then when making a band with my cousins,i found out that all of them a guitarists(that means there are 4 guitarists and nothing!)!WTH!!
so, one of them played the drums(cool! and one more to go!!..hehe)
after a few weeks, they ask me if i want to play the bass..so, feeling wasted i just took the part..haish...
But , somehow on the first day of jamming, i can feel the inner something(AAHH!!!like angel'voice) when i 'touched' it... thats when i started to play the bass..hehehe...
so, slowly, mastering the 'fingers' , then the 'feel of the basslines' then now, the slap! hahaha!!

I'm interested in drum and tried to learn it, but failed. And at the same time, my band don't have bassist, so I decided to fill that role.

Back