What made you choose the bass ?

Flea may not be the best but i'm just so amazed by him, his techniques and stuff..

Flea IS great! Awesome player that could understand the notion of playing for the band, and not always for himself. Compared to earlier albums, his basslines have become much more focused over the years. Kudos to him, and every bassist should learn this!

the bassist from Breaking Benjamin and Simon Says are pretty innovative.

their bass lines doesn't clash with the guitars.

such a pleasant listening surprise, time and time again!

go bassists GO!

Flea IS great! Awesome player that could understand the notion of playing for the band, and not always for himself. Compared to earlier albums, his basslines have become much more focused over the years. Kudos to him, and every bassist should learn this!

Flea is one of the biggest reason that I'm playing bass now haha. In year 2002, I saw him play live 20 metres in front of me in the the Indoor stadium. Totally blown away! That kinda sowed the seeds haha.

Well, after spending some time procrastinating, I started to learn playing. :)

the bass is like the MEAT OF A BUN . damn important . without it , tasteless

HAHAHAHA =X

i like being the meat .

Bass solos man.
And guitars are kinda over mainstream.
7 people in my class of 39 plays it.
However i am able to play the guitar no doubt but bass more awesome :d
Yet i still can't slap for shit.
Someone help me!

Bassists are the coolest people in the band obviously :cool: We dont hog the limelight like the lead singers or beg for it- guitarists. And we dont look like the ones who do all the shit work and hides in the background- drummers

my reason

Bass is fun to play and well easy to cope with with simple appregioes all that
Bass is not so trouble just pluck it in the amp ohkie already no need some complicated gadgets or so
Bass is versatile..like guitar if u play metal u must use distortion if u play jazz u use abit acoustic..for bass well we just use the amp only so no troubling in there
When play bass we could jump here n there no need full concentration even though we play it well

- i played bass because it gives a different kind of freedom as to playing a guitar. bigger frets, i can play 1 string, 1 fret for a note instead of having to press 3 strings at 3 diffrent fret. bigger string spaces.
- bass playing is more physical. playing the guitar you need to be fast / precise, i got short stubby fingers but big palm - so its so much easy for me to play the bass.
- i dont slap because i think its over rated,
- prefers fingerstyle. bassist such as jean baudin who uses all 5 fingers to fingerpluck is a huge huge inspiration
- justin chamberlain made me wanna use pedals
- flea and troy sander made me wanna learn appergios and scale

the low sound it provides and knowing how hard is it to master makes it more interesting as well as knowing that most people usually are in need of a bassist so yea

i dont really remember why. but the more i played it, i just got sucked in deeper and deeper into the underworld of basslines and grooves hahah. and i was thinking, in a club situation, a guitar cant make da people dance the way a bass guitar can. think basslines from songs like Hand That Feeds (nine inch nails) or Canned Heat (Jamiroquai). Will that make you pump it or what!

Previous band wanted a bassist so i tried out.

Enjoyed playing bass till i got my own.

i'm definitely one of those "... and the rest is history." stories.

my church and band needed a bassplayer, so i stepped up to fill those shoes. in time, i learnt to identify my fav basslines:

John McVie (Fleetwood Mac)
Motown / Funk / Soul
Tetsuo (Larc En Ciel)
Victor Low (Concave Scream)
Ben Kenney
Electronic Music
Brian Minato (Sarah McLachlan)
Stuart Zender (Jamiroquai)

frankly i can't stop.. sometimes i treat the bass like a guitar and vice versa. still interested in what the bass can and cannot do to come up with innovative out of the box melodies. -)

and frankly the encouragement of the people i jam with had something to do with me keeping at it.. i think that was very important early on so that i didnt become bored of the instrument.

Back