too small sized for playing the bass?

3notesAbar said:
Yeah size is definitely not an issue for most people. I mean look, Wendy Phua isnt like 1.8 and shes kicking ass! Point is, whether 1.4 or 2.2m tall, the bass is an instrument most valued for keeping time, and maintaining the integrity of the rhythm section. However if one wants to really fly around a 6 string Pattituci model bass, thats a different story, but might as well play guitar right? :)

those guys like to play solo mah .. actually i'm along those lines .. .. ahahah . you should hear people like Dominique Di Piazza and Alain Caron man .. crazy people .. Alain Caron can slap really fast solos with this double thumbing technique ..

I still think the bass is one of the most versatile instrument around .. besides the synthesizer keyboard lah ..

Caron oso double thump la. Just with a more gentle approach with the thumb landing on the end of the fretboard. Recall him saying so on some interview.

so much versatality in the bass itself .. i'm glad i'm able to play the bass ... hur hur hur ... i think we can learn from all around lah .. Wootey ... Caron ... Milly .. Labby .. all those pros out there .. just download their performance videos .. analyse and COPY! .. at the end of the day come out with some of your own technique ..

hur hur hur .. sorry .. i think i'm imagining too much already .. ahahahah

Isa said:
haha. by the way im a guy.... not a girl. how low do you guys hang your bass?

mine is extremely high .. i hang around chest level .. cos i need to reach the higher notes .. feels comfortable there also .. won't move much if i start jumping around.

The main thing about playing the bass is that you don't to hang low to look cool .. alot of times people like to hang low because they think it's cool .. but i feel personally that you should hang at the level where it's most comfortable for you and won't hinder your playing or give you cramps because your hands are in the wrong position.

For me, i have pretty short and stocky hands .. so i have to hang high or else i won't be able to reach some frets. The lowest i can go is waist level .. that's all .. no knees for me please .. =)

Heh used to hang mine to the lowest the strap would go. then had to crouch when trying to play the upper register. got really irritating so i "upgraded" to chest level..that means same spot when you sit down and play. needless to say, playing improved, slapping improved..etc

btw i'm 1.65m only :p i'm like shortest dude in singapore

Yeah size is definitely not an issue for most people. I mean look, Wendy Phua isnt like 1.8 and shes kicking ass! Point is, whether 1.4 or 2.2m tall, the bass is an instrument most valued for keeping time, and maintaining the integrity of the rhythm section. However if one wants to really fly around a 6 string Pattituci model bass, thats a different story, but might as well play guitar right?

yeah, wendy rocks. and she happens to be pretty hot too...
dun guys just go nuts when they see a female bassist tapping and slapping? :D

man .. imagine if she married another pro bassist .. like kelvin .. then they could form some incredible duo ..

she isn't attached by the way right? .. just asking ... 8O

Just happened to chance upon this tthread...... funny how talk about size got to talk about women on bass... heh

To be honest, its cool if they are hot and stuff.... but player ability comes first... so if ya are short and ugly, hey I will think you are hot if you can pull off those licks. =)

exin said:
man .. imagine if she married another pro bassist .. like kelvin .. then they could form some incredible duo ..

she isn't attached by the way right? .. just asking ... 8O

then their children .... Bass gods?

yeah man .. i think by the time they are 10 they would have mastered Victor Wooten's Amazing Grace bass solo .. by the time they are 14 can tour the world already .. ahahaahah .. won't that be soooo cool .. i wonder how would basses look like then? ..

Maybe they would have taken off the strings and created infrared strings for bassists to play .. so sound will come out by just passing the infrared and displacing it ..

but then again .. i'd always like tradition on the bass ..

hey orhfiend!

I feel your pain.

At least you are quite young right?

Was the impression I got when I saw you playing with aphrodisiac.

(Am the guitarist of supersede btw).

I'm lyk 1.66 short and I'm 20!!!

No more potential to grow~~ :X

Just keep playing... before you know it, you would have grown, or become accustomed to your size and have no problem playing. :D

jeifen said:
Yeah size is definitely not an issue for most people. I mean look, Wendy Phua isnt like 1.8 and shes kicking ass! Point is, whether 1.4 or 2.2m tall, the bass is an instrument most valued for keeping time, and maintaining the integrity of the rhythm section. However if one wants to really fly around a 6 string Pattituci model bass, thats a different story, but might as well play guitar right?

yeah, wendy rocks. and she happens to be pretty hot too...
dun guys just go nuts when they see a female bassist tapping and slapping? :D

...and Wendy plays with "the embryo" some more! Heh!
:D

Back