This is a gig against greedy organisers,Support local music the right way!

organizers are out there to make a profit.

if u dont like it, make ur own gig. thats what i did. what i do is make the bands share the cost of the rental with me.then, divide the money from the door sales equally. no tickets.

u play music to have fun, mingle, make new friends, listen to new music/bands.

not come 10mins before your slot, play, then go home and dont care about the other bands that are playing. its not a job. its a hobby.

bands who just want to play for FREE, please dont think too highly of yourselves.

i believe if u want to play for FREE (and get paid), you should:
- have an album, or EP at least.
- have a record label, be it indepedent or major
- be well known and people would actually pay to watch you.

If you're a new band, still playing 80% covers, and you want to get paid, well, go work in a pub. and be a cover band.

this is just my opinion, and if you ask me about the local music scene, i would ask you , "what local music scene?"

i really dun understand all this whining abt play to play, well its not because i never do pay to play gig EVER. Each band need to work out their own style. some bands pay to pay some bands like mine will never do pay to play.

its boils down what u wanna do with your band fund? record? spend in on promoting the band? or pay to play? risk management, whats a good investment for the band to succeed? And whats the mileage. i found out most pay to play gigs are crap, waste of $$$ to target that certain audience or fans, some are playing even playing mostly covers and u expect to have fans when the only creativity u show is by downloading guitar pro and mimic others creative talent.

why complain abt pay to play when your band are not up to standard and the fans you try to generate are not interested in your music? whats the ultimate goal as a musician? whats the objective when u form your band?

i guess in the end everyone just cares about how much money is put in. and the little popularity there is.
nobody really cares about the music.

label? singapore?

there are a few great singapore labels in the type of genre that i am playing, they signed and promote local band and even catapult 1 local band will be signed to a very very major record lable in the UK with a europe and us tour planned out for them and a 4 record deal that is like 5 digit in USD figure and each tour is another 5digit payment. i leave it up for them to make the announcement ;p.

dun dish the local labels and distributors they do a lot to help out with local bands while the band spend their focus on creating music and not worry abt pay to play gigs LOL.

$$$ makes the scene goes round. the important cashflow, money comes in good venues, good gigs thus creating communities thus creating great bands thus creating fans that will buy their music and pay for their shows.

just look at HK shows and Trinity records, when my band play there, i was simply amazed what the almighty $$$ can do, they are new into brutal death or death metal but the popularity of the genre are increasing very very very popular coz $$$ makes things goes really really well. And they are doing that in a communist country!!!!!

Last edited:
Well,you're trying to say that the rich get richer and the poor gets poorer?

Its all about sharing the stage,having a sense of community.

Hey, I managed to get some "established" punkrock bands to share the cost with some new bands at a recent punkrock gig. and it went well.

I guess this kind of thing can only happen with punkrockers. who dont really care about anything else but the music.

as i said its risk management, if the "establish" punkrock band wanna do this or that or anything, its their own prerogative.

i would rather mentor young bands to score and land their next fully funded full length CD release by a major record label and tour europe or asia and ask them to stop wasting time with paid to play gigs locally.

i would rather mentor young bands to score and land their next fully funded full length CD release by a major record label and tour europe or asia and ask them to stop wasting time with paid to play gigs locally.

who are these young local bands? that have managed to land a fully funded full length CD, by a major record label and tour europe, asia?

im not dissing local labels. Im genuinely asking, there's major local labels here that would sign local bands?

anyways my idea of the sharecost=shareprofit gig is for local gigs. small local gigs with local bands. bands who are desperate enough to play that they should get together and organize their own gigs together.

gigs that do not have sponsors. not the gigs held at baybeats or any other big venues with well known bands.

gig.not concert. so I hope I get that straight.

Last edited:
anyways my idea of the sharecost=shareprofit gig is for local gigs. small local gigs with local bands. bands who are desperate enough to play that they should get together and organize their own gigs together.

This is IMO the reason behind "local scene sucks". Most bands are too desperate to play. The standards have drop to an all time low.

Just my opinion.

Hey Thm, Im sure youre just focusing on venues like blackhole only. Cheap but great venue. But totally 'underground' for most of us here. As the venue is very hard to locate. So tell me, how can this improve the local scene?

Venue is cheap= easy to get bands to share rental. AND also you pay to play.
Venue is expensive like SubC,Arts House = would they share cost to let people see? Isnt it Pay To Play too? Don't wanna go to the figures.

Ok try to make a gig like rock for wayne or rock the sub or weekend trip, Then you share your experience(s).i believe that these local gigs(free) created an impact.

And also, firefight launch, at esplanade, people are willing to spend 25 bucks to catch them. SUpport Them.

WHY? Cause they are under label. So don't talk anything bad things about our local labels. They helped bring these good musician(s) up.

who are these young local bands? that have managed to land a fully funded full length CD, by a major record label and tour europe, asia?

im not dissing local labels. Im genuinely asking, there's major local labels here that would sign local bands?

gigs that do not have sponsors. not the gigs held at baybeats or any other big venues with well known bands.

gig.not concert. so I hope I get that straight.

name a few bands sure let me named them, they are not that young, ;p but they sure do start in their teens \m/

1. Impiety
2. Wormrot
3. Nafrat
4. Asilent
5. Truth Be known
6. Merza Virs
7. Ironfist
8. Rudhra

and tons others...

labels like mourning sound records, Scrotum Jus, Pulverised Records, etc..etc..signs local and international bands. not forgetting regional labels and distributions, and they are release in digipack and vinyls even, etc..etc..

ok lordie. i believe all the bands uve stated are metal right? metal more or less has no boundaries.its all about the music. cant really say that about other genres.

raman,I get that you are all about mainstream popular music.
when i say label, im talking about a major label. not an independent label. know the difference please. Im referring to small local gigs which are not sponsored.

and raman, i dunno but all you seem to do is talk, or type rather. and you are all for hyped up and mainstream events. the mtv kind. i dont see u doing anything? heard about ur plans for a BIG events every now and then. but in the end I dont see anything. what happened to whatlah! USA?

singapore is small. use streetdirectory.com to locate places. or a GPS.

ok lets just end it here ok. people can come up with a million excuses on why things should and shouldnt be. lets just all do it for the music.

Last edited:
relax ah guys.

pay to play or dun pay to play same all same la.
say u want to diy gig, all bands share the cost, then someone do the organising. isn't it the same as u fork out money (pay) to play? u pay the organisers to organise the gig for you while u sit back and relax.

if organiser give gud deal, if price is reasonable, why not? i think its the same as bands share cost of rental to hold a gig. this thread is about greedy organisers rite?

u share the stage with other bands, u make friends, share your music, promote your stuffs.. be it pay to play or free gigs.

everybody wants to be paid to play. not everybody gets the chance.

OK now , THM, did I even mentioned your name on this forum. Now remove my name from the forum NOW! :)

Now, Did I even post up openly about Whatlah's plans on gigs on Soft or other other forums. I can't start my own plans cause of tight budgets, and all these great concerts coming in singapore.
In case you don't know, I'm still trying out on ways to push out our local talent over. Theres a youtube channel on it.

OH yeah, ANYONE can do at Blackhole brother. ANYONE. So dont go bragging here aitte!

Talking about all these thing on forums, makes me lose hope on local music.

And now, you created a mess here, and you want to end it here. You should know already, theres many diffrent type of people here. You create a thread on this before. You should know.

Last edited:
OH yeah, ANYONE can do at Blackhole brother. ANYONE. So dont go bragging here aitte!

MY POINT EXACTLY. im not bragging. do u even know what bragging means? bragging means showing off. I am not showing off.

youre trying to push our local talents over. over where? a cliff?

Im saying that anyone can organize a gig at blackhole or LCube or any other venue.
Its just a matter of whether they want to do it or not. Im telling people to organize their own gigs if they want to play.

bands,if u want to play in gigs, organize your own gigs. get bands together. share the cost. have fun doing so. Its not that difficult.

and NO, I didnt create this mess. I gave an idea.An idea that you can share to make ur own gigs. You and your ticket selling money making scums are the ones who created the mess.

anybody can open a youtube channel,and post videos. well, I guess to you that is your "promoting".

Last edited:
bands,if u want to play in gigs, organize your own gigs. get bands together. share the cost. have fun doing so. Its not that difficult.

and NO, I didnt create this mess. I gave an idea.An idea that you can share to make ur own gigs. You and your ticket selling money making scums are the ones who created the mess.

So if DIY, no need sell tickets?
There where do you get your revenue?
Tickets at the door?
Sell tickets also, no?

You wanna play in a gig?
One of the avenues is to ally yourself with an organization, it could be the SPCA, Children's Homes ( meant as examples ).

Submit a proposal on how a gig can help their causes, sell your idea. Funding: Once an organization agrees to lend their name/cause, ask to use their brand name& approach the NAC ( again, meant as an example ).

You could even approach homegrown businesses ( especially those in the fashion retail sector ) & sell your idea.

Then your music will mean more than just jammings hours , lengthy recordings, releases.

Then your music becomes your life & even if you don't make it one day ( say you wanna hit the big time ) at least you can trully say...

"What a rush...".

there are so much marketability for rock, alt rock, indie music... try being an obscure musician like playing death metal or grindcore. its so so much harder to get commercial success.

i seriously think 10 pages of stupidity trying to illicit reactions from fellow local scenesters who dont do much but type is seriously not doing anything good for the local scene.

why bother going online and discuss shit like this is beyond me.
so im gonna say this once

you guys really wanna help our scene, then get off your asses more, do shows / release / party whatever tickles your belly, AND KEEP DOING IT.

AND KEEP ON DOING IT.
AND DOING IT
until someone recognises your efforts, then capitalise on it. advertise / market your shows effectively.

i really dont see the point of advertising/bragging/whateveryouallcallthisnonsense what little you have done online, when u can spend ur time brainstorming about fresh new ideas to help out small scene.

Joseph Roberts
Marchtwelve.
Castles.

EH I'M HIJACKING THIS THREAD!!

Watch out for another semi-self-organised-gig by my buddies and I

It's called SUPERMASSIVE 2.0!!! yeah \m/

Totally hijacked :twisted:

Link will be up soon!

Back