THE FOOTBALL THREAD Vol 2

the arrogance might return to arsenal!! just cause they've been winning by big big margins, their egos has risen. and you know what overconfidence can do... they make you fall...

liverpool... i cant say anything good neither. i'm frustrated by the way they play against miniature teams. but c'mon, valencia got beaten by a 4th-rated team called rosenberg. Valencia aint doing that bad in the league though. so that wont mean liverpool wont suck against arsenal...

i'm opting a draw in the cards. i may be a liverpool supporter, and fellow liverpudlians would cheong for their team to win, but i'm being realistic, looking at the current situation...

Wenger has brought up the topic of over confidence and has been telling his players to guard against this. Apparently they are approaching the match with pool in the strictest way possible coz pool had lost to the turks and would need a good result on sun.

Mh honest opinion: pool 0 AFC 2 on Sunday. Tite game and goals coming from set pieces (probably Gallas & Fabregas).

I think Liverpool will take this match by 2 goals to 1. Lets just play the waiting game and see what happens come matchday.

An arsenal slipup wud be good grounds for Man Utd to catch up..

Match Report
Barclays Premier League
Anfield
Sunday, October 28, 2007, 4pm

Liverpool-

Arsenal-

By Richard Clarke

Arsène Wenger will ask his side to draw from their new-found reserves of belief when they take to the field at Anfield on Sunday in their toughest Premier League game of the season so far.

The build-up to this game had been dominated by talk of “tests”. Arsenal’s start has been incredible — albeit without yet playing a top-four opponent - while Liverpool’s relatively pedestrian. Wenger’s men humbled Slavia Prague 7-0 on Tuesday, the next night Rafa Benitez’s side went down 2-1 in Besiktas.

Despite all that, most English bookmakers have Liverpool as favourites to win. Those odds are based on the fact that Arsenal have not been stretched too much yet — particularly away — while Liverpool have drawn too many but, like their opponents, are unbeaten domestically.

However undoubtedly Arsenal’s lossless run has been more exciting and ruthless. It has built mountains of belief so the old maxim that “nothing succeeds like success” will never have been more important than at Anfield on Sunday.

“At the start of the season, our belief was not perhaps strong enough to challenge the big teams,” said Wenger. “But this season we have built up a good belief. We are hungry and we are in good shape so we are in a good condition to go to Liverpool and show what we can do.”

It could be argued those differing Champions League results will inspire Liverpool and leave Arsenal on such a high that their feet will be firmly OFF the ground come Sunday. But Wenger argues the youth and vitality of his side will counter complacency.

“It is easy to bring them down because we have won nothing,” he said. “This team has just started. They have gone to the Champions League Final and then they had a frustrating season. We are hungry now I can tell. I have no doubts about that. We have to be faithful to the way we want to play and try to dictate our game.”

Wenger was asked whether he expected to win every time his side go on the pitch these days.

“Yes,” was the immediate reply. “But,” he added, “in fairness that was the same last year and it did not happen.

“What has changed this season is that we are less running after the score because defensively we are more efficient. Last season we were 1-0 down in 22 out of 38 games and chasing the game. If you don’t come back quickly then your risk becomes bigger because you have to counter and push further forward.

“Overall I feel we have dealt with our focus this season. To play at the top level is to know that every game has a different difficulty you have to sort out. What I like about this team is that until now they have found the solutions to the problems within the game. There has been no perfect game until now but we have found those solutions.”

On the injury front, Arsenal are still without Robin van Persie (knee) and Philippe Senderos (back). Manuel Almunia will retain the keeper's gloves and Jens Lehmann is set for a place on the bench.

the arrogance might return to arsenal!! just cause they've been winning by big big margins, their egos has risen. and you know what overconfidence can do... they make you fall...

liverpool... i cant say anything good neither. i'm frustrated by the way they play against miniature teams. but c'mon, valencia got beaten by a 4th-rated team called rosenberg. Valencia aint doing that bad in the league though. so that wont mean liverpool wont suck against arsenal...

i'm opting a draw in the cards. i may be a liverpool supporter, and fellow liverpudlians would cheong for their team to win, but i'm being realistic, looking at the current situation...
no man i have to disagree, fellow liverpool supporter. as much as i love liverpool i must admit that they are somewhat a KELONG team. against big teams they will put up huge performances, and wont give chance. against smaller teams they will cockup. this was more apparent the earlier part of last season and the whole of the season before. remember, back then winning away was non-existent and they couldnt beat the deep defences of small teams at home. rafa is methodical in his tactics, and mercurial in his team selections. but whatever it is, he is right. we don't need to field our best teams to beat the small clubs. if we do, then you can probably forget about challenging for any honours. nobody even gives a damn about the 'rotation policy' when the reds are winning. if there really is a rotation policy, how come peter crouch is consistently on the bench? if i am not mistaken he is yet to complete 90min this season.

and screw the guys who dont have the balls to say that old favourites like steven gerrard and steve finnan are playing like shit. they are the same people who blasted jermaine pennant and daniel agger when both started out, and the same people who are whacking ryan babel at the moment.

and if my reasoning fails to appeal to anyone... my final throw of the dice will be a scathing attack...

ARSENAL SUCKS

no man i have to disagree, fellow liverpool supporter. as much as i love liverpool i must admit that they are somewhat a KELONG team. against big teams they will put up huge performances, and wont give chance. against smaller teams they will cockup. this was more apparent the earlier part of last season and the whole of the season before. remember, back then winning away was non-existent and they couldnt beat the deep defences of small teams at home. rafa is methodical in his tactics, and mercurial in his team selections. but whatever it is, he is right. we don't need to field our best teams to beat the small clubs. if we do, then you can probably forget about challenging for any honours. nobody even gives a damn about the 'rotation policy' when the reds are winning. if there really is a rotation policy, how come peter crouch is consistently on the bench? if i am not mistaken he is yet to complete 90min this season.

and screw the guys who dont have the balls to say that old favourites like steven gerrard and steve finnan are playing like shit. they are the same people who blasted jermaine pennant and daniel agger when both started out, and the same people who are whacking ryan babel at the moment.

and if my reasoning fails to appeal to anyone... my final throw of the dice will be a scathing attack...

ARSENAL SUCKS

on the basis of current form and based on the last match I would say pool SUCK more!

haha. the match haven start. but here got liverpool vs arsenal started already. woo. im a middleman. PEACE. i dun support both. im into tottenham . but from wad i think . the ars vs liv match would be a draw. yea. if there must be a winner. then i'd say pool.. u cant realli judge them by previous matches. maybe for this one they'd be more serious y'know. hmm. well. arsenal got a chance too. AH. i dunno la! both are good. lets see wad happens in reality la! rather than saying this team suck and that team suck. haha.

they were good when they had Osvaldo Ardiles and Ricardo Villa.... but now... they're laughable...QUOTE]

ok I will oblige again:

WAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAA HOHOHOHOHHO HIIHIHI..KIKIKIKIKI
KAKAKAKAAAAWAHAHAH WOOOOOOO HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA..

snort - go on u spurs.....

they were good when they had Osvaldo Ardiles and Ricardo Villa.... but now... they're laughable...

they better buck up with a new manager!!

AGREED. ha. dunno wads gone rong man. i realli dun wish ta see em get relegated. hopefully someone would lift their spirits. they jus lost 2-1 to an unknown team. forgot the name. wtf..... ha.

Jaarvis - anyway - its comendable that U r stickin to ur team - whether good or bad periods..the sign of a true fan...

speaking of sticking to your team....

any views on people who "jump" clubs on whoever they favour? NOT including SOME girls who oogles on footballers :p

yeah - ppl who jump clubs.... better just follow SL! My brother in law supports leeds till this very day though he always kena tekan chalat from me... respect for the devotion man!

STICK TO YOUR CLUB THROUGH TICK & THIN!

ON LIVERPOOL

Rafael Benitez
Paddy Power Bet of the Week8/1 - Arsenal to win Champions Lge

'The season has been a mixed bag so far'
Liverpool v Arsenal
Barclays Premier League
Anfield
Sun, Oct 28, 2007, 4pm

By Matt Fortune

Liverpool seem to be in the midst of another fabulously inconsistent season. They may have beaten Derby 6-0, but draws with Tottenham, Portsmouth and Birmingham can only be classed as six points dropped for a title-chasing team.

Like Arsenal, the five-time European Champions have failed to mount any serious title bid in the last three years and many of the Anfield faithful wanted that addressed this time around. Boss Rafa Benitez obliged and spent big in the close-season bringing in several highly-rated individuals.

Liverpool sit fourth behind the two Manchester teams and Arsenal after a welcome win on the Blue side of Stanley Park last Saturday. By winning their game in hand on City and United, the Reds can move up to third.

Anfield form in the Premiership has been the topic of much scrutiny with three domestic draws and Liverpool also lost their formidable European home record with defeat by Marseille. Their saving grace in past seasons, Champions League form, is also stuttering somewhat. They are bottom of Group A with one point. Realistically they require three wins from their remaining three games to qualify — a fact that may be costly in the coming months.

Still despite a somewhat uncertain season so far one thing does remain. Sunday is certain to be one of the toughest trips the Gunners will embark on all season.

We spoke to Tony Barrett of the Liverpool Echo ahead of Sunday's clash.

THE STORY SO FAR
"The season has been a bit of mixed bag for Liverpool so far. They started very well at the Derby County match when they won 6-0 and I think a lot of Liverpool fans started to think about title challenges and all that sort of stuff. The international break came at a bad time for them and I think the momentum they build up was gone, and since the performances have become much more erratic. They are still unbeaten but they don’t look as cohesive a unit as Rafa Benitez would have hoped. Everyone looked at the result against Everton as something that would kick-start our season again but Wednesday night’s defeat at Besiktas has made people think that there is a still quite a lot of work to be done.

"At the start of the season at Liverpool I think of lot of the fans were saying that we don’t need to talk of winning the title, we just want to see a genuine challenge and by that they mean being in contention come Easter time. The past few years they have been out of it by Christmas or even before. There have been 20 point gaps, even 30 points by the end of the season and that is not good enough for a club like Liverpool. They are going to be looking to be closing that gap and if there is a title challenge then the Liverpool fans will be satisfied with that."

MAN OF THE MOMENT
"Fernando Torres has captured everyone’s imagination on Merseyside. He’s a forward that makes things happen. His pace is what sets him apart because he is the one Liverpool forward who is blessed with natural speed. If he gets away from the centre back they don’t catch him up. His goalscoring record has been good since he signed — he has got seven in nine starts. He looks the part, everyone is impressed with him and happy he’s here."

NEW FACES
"Voronin has been a surprise for many Liverpool supporters because no-one was expecting much of him. He has actually done OK. He is a steady player, he holds the ball up well, brings people into the game and is capable of getting a goal. Ryan Babel has been used more as a left winger which I think he is having to get used to. There is enough competition for places up front and you can see him trying to get in some shots from the left. You can see his natural game is as a frontrunner but he looks like the type of player where there is a lot of talent waiting to come through. He is one of those that you can see in a year or so - if he trains well and takes on the advice he will be getting - he could be a top player."

CAUSE FOR OPTIMISM
"Hopefully Daniel Agger will be back in week to 10 days because his injury has been a big, big blow. He is one of those centre backs who reads the game really well. He also brings the ball out of defence and creates an extra man in midfield. I think he has been a key loss for Liverpool. One of the reasons why they are not doing so well going forward is that Agger is so often that extra man in midfield allowing the rest to play a little higher up the pitch then they are at the moment. Sami Hyypia is at that stage of his career where ideally he won’t be playing two games a week and that could be a problem if he does because he is 34 years of age."

TALKING TACTICS
"The side Rafa had out on Wednesday is pretty close to full-strength considering the injuries they have at the moment. The back four will likely stay the same but the midfield could be interesting because Xabi Alonso is back now. I will be surprised if he doesn’t come back in because his passing game is a great aspect of Liverpool’s play. Then we have Benayoun, Pennant and Babel - that is for three fighting for two positions - as well as the option of Steven Gerrard who can play wide right. Up front I think Peter Crouch did himself the world of good by setting up the goal in midweek as he has been on the sidelines for some time. I think he will have pleased the manager with his cameo appearance, but to be honest you can’t second guess Benitez’s selection policy."

IMPRESSIONS OF ARSENAL
"Arsenal were very impressive on Tuesday. They are one of those sides that if they get a goal ahead and hit form then they will be unstoppable. A very young side with lots of confidence, lots of great ability, but I do think that they are yet to have a real genuine test. A team needs to pose a different kind of problem, maybe psychological type of problems. I think Liverpool will defend a lot tighter than many do against Arsenal and, at the other end, they will really look to get at the back four. Not many teams have really had a go at Arsenal yet and their form has been magnificent but they are still to be tested and hopefully that test will come at Anfield.

"The way Arsenal have started the season, they built up expectations so much that now people are talking about them as potential winners. But I think Manchester United will take some stopping and their experience gives them the upper hand slightly. This weekend though is a big one for Arsenal. If they come to Anfield and win that will give them the kind of confidence to think they are not just having a good start but actually they can go on and win this."

i watched abit of the recent liverpool champions league match.. wah, their defence is terok man.. very clumsy.

i predict arsenal will tear them apart tomorrow hiak hiak hiak :) :)..

another inconsistent season.... gee... is that what liverpool are now known to be?

i'm starting to think benitez gets the position wrong (to add up with tinkering). babel SHOULD NOT have played in the wing, benayoun should play attack through the centre, should have gotten a proven winger (sabrosa, alves), should have bought another player to fill for agger, if not, a player from their reserves. (seriously, hyppia was great at his prime, but please la... 34! maldini's better than him!), and finally, establish a top strike force ahead.

dunno if any would agree to this, but crouch and torres should have started the season. establish some sort of connection like dwight yorke and cole for man u. the only reason why crouch doesnt play as good as he was last season is due to his unhappiness. it's frustrating for him since benitez promised him first team football!!! LOL... even i consider my players when playing FM... if from the start they together, they can probably score more than they can now!

GALTheoWalcott_pc_g.jpg

hello pool... we're here!

Last edited:
Back