Styles of guitar playing!

So am i right to say that i can mix every style i want in any way i feel comfortable? It's my OWN STYLE? any way i wanna play my guitar? It's every guitarist's OWN style.

And i would like to ask how many electric guitarists here learnt both styles, Which styles do u guys prefer? How about those famous guitarists like ray toro from MCR and all other bands, do they start learning guitar with fingerpicking style or do some of them dun even learn classical style and went straight with electric guitar with flatpicking style. Most rock and metal guitarists uses flatpicking style though. Do they learn both styles? i think some don't, only learn one. sry for my ignorance

Last edited:
You can do whatever you want - it's really as simple as that.

Check out the two vides below - same guitarist but different playing styles.

YouTube - Monte Montgomery: Sultans of Swing
YouTube - Monte Montgomery: Little Wing acoustic instrumental

Not wanting to blow my own horn but I don't use a pick and I go through a few more playing styles that what you see in those two vids and all within a single song.

Like I said, it all depends on what you want to achieve. I like to try and get as much dynamics as possible into my playing and the best way is to use my fingers and nails in as many ways as I can to get as much feel into my stuff.

Your goals may differ but the gist is to do what you want - no one is stopping you.

Cheers
RoRK

yay for finger pickin ...I used my fingers (instead of a pick) so much in the past (especially playin with country bands) that these days even if I forget my picks I can get by with no wories ...

Is it that There is something that flatpicking cannnot do while fingerstyle can or with enough PRACTICE Flatpicking can achieve it? other then versatility...

.....How about those famous guitarists like ray toro from MCR and all other bands, do they start learning guitar with fingerpicking style or do some of them dun even learn classical style and went straight with electric guitar with flatpicking style. Most rock and metal guitarists uses flatpicking style though. Do they learn both styles? i think some don't, only learn one. sry for my ignorance

well, im pretty sure mr toro did fingerpicking when he was starting out as a guitarist. then when he went into rock, of course it would be flatpicking since riffing and soloing would require the style. there.....he learnt both.

in my opinion it is a MUST for every guitarist to know at least the basic fingerpicking style cuz it uh....crap whats that word...produces...melodies within a chord. (do correct me if that isnt the proper statement lol). you cant just strum 'em all the time it'll get boring haha....

im a metal guitarist myself and i utilize alot of flat picking in my playing but recently infused some fingerpicking and some (terribly attempted) hybrid picking into some of my songwriting.

so as you can see.....we'll evetually get to learn both styles down the road. it'll come...

well, im pretty sure mr toro did fingerpicking when he was starting out as a guitarist. then when he went into rock, of course it would be flatpicking since riffing and soloing would require the style. there.....he learnt both.

in my opinion it is a MUST for every guitarist to know at least the basic fingerpicking style cuz it uh....crap whats that word...produces...melodies within a chord. (do correct me if that isnt the proper statement lol). you cant just strum 'em all the time it'll get boring haha....

im a metal guitarist myself and i utilize alot of flat picking in my playing but recently infused some fingerpicking and some (terribly attempted) hybrid picking into some of my songwriting.

so as you can see.....we'll evetually get to learn both styles down the road. it'll come...

yup that's right. in the end it is still good to learn all of the techniques, don't limit yourself to just one style and say "oh this is my style".

then again, lots of people do that haha. and people DO have their own style.

I use fingerpicking, flatpicking and hybrid picking. Just practice a little of both whenever, it's quite useful. I fail at fingerpicking though, haha. And hybrid picking is a little tricky but if you can play the different styles well, it'll be an advantage.

Back