Music-themed Films

This one, Shin?

l_1149603_a607e416.jpg

Haven't seen it and can't find any info on it.
What's the plot?

BTW, any Master & Commander fans here (I am a huge Patrick O'Brian and Hornblower nut)?

Masterandcommanderposter.jpg

This is not in anyway music-themed, but many fans do like the music played in this film which featured jamming on violin and cello - if you think about it, this is early 19th Century rock. The music is brill.

This is also a good candidate:

BrassedOff_G1_C234.jpg

Stars a young Ewan McGregor (pre Star Wars). Revolves round a coal-mining village which has a village brass band. They jam after a day's hard work down in the coal pits, and dream of making it big in the national band finals. But the mines are threatened with closure. As the writer/director says, it is not a comedy although there are many comedic elements, it is not a tragedy although parts of it is sad, and it is not a musical although music is a big part of the film. It is all three.

The band's rendition of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez (or as the miners call it "Concerto de Orange Juice") change my perception of brass bands. Very moving. Makes you want to learn the flugelhorn.

Last edited:
My favorite - The Legend of 1900. About a jazz pianist born and grew up on a passenger liner and never got on land in his life. Unusual ending. However, the music "Playing Love" is simply beautiful (got the score). Also the jazz piano "duel" in the film is simply hilarious.

Back