Music-themed Films

betsybug

51FHCZP2Q2L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Just watched this movie, "The Thing called Love" (DVD borrowed from the library). Not a new film (1993), but worth your time to check it out. It was not a commercial success, but is a cult classic (according to the director Peter Bogdanovich who incidentally made the film "St Jack" which was banned until recently for many years in Singapore).

Synopsis
About a girl from New York who goes to Nashville in her quest to be a singer. Meets a kookie girlfriend and two boys who share the same dream of success in country music.

What's Noteworthy
Aside from intense acting from the late River Phoenix (much missed), it is very strong on the art of songwriting. Don't misunderstand; it doesn't tell you or show you how songs are written, but the effort of finding (and spouting) good lines are worked seamlessly into the script. In fact a running gag is the use of lines from actual songs on the marquee of a hotel featured in the film that adds to the mood. I've not been to Nashville, but you come away with the impression that this here is one town dripping with music like honey on a stack of pancakes (haha, my attempt at homely Southern metaphor).

Gear Spotted
Girl lead uses a Kramer Ferrington acoustic guitar, and Dermot Mulroney uses a beat-up Gibson acoustic (tobacco burst I would say).

Similar Films
Almost Famous (2000) - boy reporter tags along with a rock band and its groupies in 1973. Based on the real life experiences of the director/writer Cameron Crowe
The Thing You Do (1996) - the trials of a band trying to break into the limelight in 1964
Spinal Tap (1984) - haven't seen this, but a mockumentary of a heavy metal band apparently groundbreaking to some degree

Can you share any other films of a similar vein i.e. films that tell a (fictional) story of bands and singers (specifically NOT biopics - based on actual bands/singers like The Doors, Johnny Cash, Diana Ross, etc., and NOT musicals e.g. Chicago, Moulin Rouge, etc.)?

Last edited:
Sorry ah but I'm not so cultured with films - been to the cinema like 4 times in the last 20 years - and I slept through parts of all four movies! :confused:

But for movies with strong musical overtones, I RIKES -
Phantom of the Paradise (a satire on pop music)
Purple Rain (a snapshot into Prince's life?)
Grease (how to comb your hair)

there's the 2007 movie called Control. base on the biography on the late Ian Curtis from the band Joy Division. reviews gave it 4 out of 5 stars. you guys should check it out cause i did and i like it. :D

Still Crazy is quite funny - like a less irreverent Spinal Tap. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149151/

I haven't seen 2gether but i heard it's a good laugh about a boyband. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221789/

Boytown is another boyband themed Aussie comedy. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472615/

The Blues Brothers is a classic John Belushi movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080455/

Singles is a classic set in the grunge era - featuring cameos by Pearl Jam and Chris Cornell http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105415/

Dreamgirls - ok, it's about an R&B type band, but it's actually pretty decent. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443489/

I know you said you didn't want movies based on actual musicians / documentaries, but these movies aren't really documentaries and in any case are must-sees:

1991: The Year Punk Broke http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103595/

The Last Waltz (about Robbie Robertson's The Band) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077838/

Have fun watching.

You guys hah....ok, we'll group the films like so then:

FICTIONAL:
August Rush (2007) - Want To Find: birth parents of one musical prodigy
Dream Girls (2006) - why do I keep thinking this is a biopic based on The Three Degrees?
Boytown (2006)
School of Rock (2003) - Jack Black does rock, but not Tenacious D style
Almost Famous (2000) - great 70s feel
2gether (2000) - made for TV movie (hmmm...)
Still Crazy (1998 ) - looks promising, thanks Dan!
That Thing You Do (1996)
Brassed Off (1995) - A coal mining village brass band plays on....
The Thing Called Love (1993) - How to succeed in Nashville when you are young and hungry
Wayne's World 2 (1993)
The Mambo Kings (1992) - Latin music in 1950s America
Wayne's World (1992) - we are not worthy!
Singles (1992) - another from Cameron Crowe. Ought to be view-worthy
Spinal Tap (1984) - metal band mockumentary
Purple Rain (1984)
Streets of Fire (1984) - not a film about music per se, but the music is so integral that it would become a very much diminished thing without it.
Blues Brothers (1980) - how could I have forgotten this *slaps forehead*

BIOPIC:
La Vie En Rose / La Mome (2007) - Edith Piaf
I'm Not There (2007) - Bob Dylan. Watch Cate Blanchett play one of the Dylans.
Control (2007) - this is on my list to watch. Joy Division!
Walk the Line (2005) - Johnny Cash, the original man in black
24 Hour Party People (2002) - a biopic (kinda) which is also a comedy!
The Doors (1991) - Val Kilmer is uncanny as Morrison, IMO
Amadeus (1984) - Mozart the wunderkind

MUSICAL:
Les Chansons D'amour (2007) - living and loving in Paris, and singing about it, obviously
Once (2006) - Oscar for the song, "Falling Slowly"
Dancer in the Dark (2000) - features Bjork, the strange one
Spice World (1997) - Spice Girls
St Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978 ) - featuring Beatles's music
Grease (1978 )
Phantom of the Paradise (1974) - RoRK, this is being remade. ETA - 2010
Yellow Submarine (1968 ) - Beatles, animation
A Magical Mystery Tour (1967) - Beatles
Help! (1965) - Beatles
A Hard Day's Night (1964) - Beatles

DOCUMENTARY:
Shine a Light (2008 ) - Rolling Stones
Joe Strummer: The Future is Written (2007) - the late frontman of the Clash
Before the Music Dies (2006) - looks critically at the "homogenization of music" (!)
Screaming Masterpiece (2005) - Icelanders make music
Block Party (2005) - David Chapelle, who's not a musician but this docu features music acts
Man in the Sand (1999) - Woody Guthrie
Hype! (1996) - Seattle grunge
1991: The Year Punk Broke (1992) - Sonic Youth and Nirvana, mainly
The Last Waltz (1978 ) - The Band
Let It Be (1970) - Beatles

THE MISC BIN:
Pink Floyd: The Wall (1982) - is it a musical, is it anime, is it art, is it biography, is it fiction? It is all good. The line, "we don't need no education" keeps running thru my mind

Last edited:
From The Blues Brothers:

Woman: Are you the police?
Elwood: No, ma'am. We are musicians.

Last edited:
i love Almost Famous......now that is rock n roll baby yeah yeah yeah...............joints chicks beers private jets...........rock n fookin roll

Almost Famous is one of my fav movies - Patrick Fugit who plays the kid does it very well in that he doesn't play it cute or obnoxious or otherwise irritating (as some young actors are wont to do). I really like the overall ambience of the film such that you get a pang after watching it.

BTW, Billy Cudrup was also very good as the runner Prefontaine in Without Limits. Everytime I watch that, I want to go out and run. No kidding.

The best scene bar none in Almost Famous is when the bass player (ie Mark Kozelek of Red House Painters / Sun Kil Moon) leads the band, each in their darkest moment and in a personal crisis while on a tour bus, through a sing along of Elton John's Tiny Dancer - as the feeling of rock n roll fills everyone again afresh. Brilliant.

Watch the director's cut of almost famous if you ever have the chance, I found it to be a slightly better experience.

I'm just gonna list a few other films worth checking out, which may or may not have music themes! (i'm too lazy to do summaries, check wikipedia or imdb for more info)
- swing girls
- bro rr, that should rinda rinda rinda
- beijing rocks
- dark days (well actually a documentary with music from dj shadow)
- Princess Raccoon (wonderful musical from the great Seijun Suzuki)
- Iden & Tity (jap punk-rock drama)
- SLC Punk
- Sid & Nancy
- Happiness of the katakuris (excellent miike musical/dark comedy)
- Eli, Eli, Lema Sabachthani? (jap post-apocalyptic drama with large helpings of ambient, noise rock)
- any studio ghibli films involving Joe Hisaishi is a musical adventure
- Electric Dragon 80,000V (really a 55-minute long music video from Sogo Ishii)

more to come!

2 pages and not a single mention of the world's greatest rock band is a BLOODY CRIME
so you guys really don't know music... i see...

A_Hard_Days_night_movieposter.jpg

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964)

Helponesheet.jpg

HELP! (1965)

MMT_poster.jpg

MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR (1967)

Ysubposter.jpg

YELLOW SUBMARINE (animated movie) 1968

Film4.jpg

LET IT BE (documentary) 1970

Sgtpepperdvd.jpg

SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND