Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve

headwan

Meshuggah-DestroyErase.jpg

Note: This Is The First Few Parts Of Me Doing A Review Of Old Album.. From old cassette tapes to CD…Hmmm Maybe Not So Old. All will be random genre. Here goes

Let’s back track a little. No, No…Not so far back I mean. Year 1995, where the world still moan or already get over the death of 90’s grunge icon death, where the same year im still watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle on SBC 5 or still believe that The Undertaker really came back from the dead. Little I known about the music industry and there is a small town in Sweden, lies a band that in years to come, became maybe not the forefather but one of the forefather of Technical Metal . With elements of jazz fusion, and bit and pieces of nearly every sub-genre of metal calculated with all the math’s formulae you can come out with into 1 serving. Sound crazy? Yeah maybe they really do live up to their band name.

Let us look at a few track from the album. Many will say Future Breed Machine is by far most favourable song in this album, cause is the most easier song to swallow, but as for me Inside What's Within Behind is my favorite in this album, cause the guitar is utterly heavy, the vocal is straight forward brutal, the solo is just amazing and the drum basically makes the whole song somehow great especially the mini drum solo at the end of the song. Soul Burn is another great grove track, heavy palm muting song, catchy vocal as if that Kidman dancing throughout the song itself while singing it. Sublevel for me was something like a monotone, lifeless music at first but as time goes on, it seems I wont skip the song after all. As for Transfixion, which for me lyrically means about media especially TV which pollute people mind, really a song that I always loop over and over again, most of the time.

Those first time listeners will find hard to digest this blend of music. As what one of my friend recalls,” the song are too heavy and the ‘out-of –place’ timing, it feels like one is suffocating from the heaviness of it” which for me a unique “patent” to Meshuggah’s sound, and yet one will puzzle over what the music is trying to accomplish. That’s the beauty of Meshuggah's genius.

Last Say - the lyrics are marvelous, Inhuman, yet its poetic IMO. Take your time and sing along or read the lyric, is really an overall great written inter-dimensional, mind blowing and headbanging masterpiece.As for the song structure, where there’s are times on this album where the drummer keeps changing it’s times signature in one song, and the guitars are almost at odds time with the drum. (I know its call polyrhythm, just merely elaborating it).While the vocalist trademark growl/barks/scream in a brutal, systematic grunt sums up to their own style of heaviness. The solo’s….hmmm….oh yuh, maybe Thordendal is not your average Dimebag(R.I.P), Slash, Steve Vai etc , yet his fusion solo is precisely catchy and fast, one should consider him as virtuoso guitarist, almost I think. I highly rate this song 9.5/10 in terms of creativity, originality (though they are not the first few musician that does polyrhythm, but what the heck they really utilizing it very well here), and quality and 10/10 in terms of my music influence though I only listen to them last 6 years. One last thing before i forgot, this rewiew is written on pre-thoughts of mine before Obzen released recently. So anything i wrote here its basically the thought that i had when my elder brother hand over this ugly looking cover CD that he bought when he was in Thailand saying to me to get over the overly hype NU-Metal and move on to something more Brutal.

Album Recommend for : Metalhead who would not only think outside the box but also play outside the boundary of traditional metal.

Songs That Kickstart The Whole Album: Future Breed Machine

Do Not Listen If You: Are having diarrhea, Nausea, Pregnant; Are trying to impress your date romantically by telling them the lyric to the song is really meaningful; Are really trying to sleep.

Last edited:
Back