HDB Complaints?

=fgl

I think that's just immature and uncalled for. Not only do you not settle or solve anything in a amiable manner, but you've succeeded in adding fuel to fire.

Couldn't he just talk to the guy and come to a compromise?

So far,so good

Been practicing at home for 3 years now.I've only received two complaints so far ever since I got a 60W bass amp for practice.And not to mention there's my dad who plays the electric guitar and we jam along sometimes.

One from my good old neighbor next door asking me not to play at night because they wanted to sleep early.

Another one from my dad saying he could hear me from the first floor.... (I live on the sixth floor).

Anyways,here are the measures I take-
I try not to play at night,but sometimes at like 2am I suddenly got the urge.....

When I play at night,the volume knob hardly goes past 1.

And on Sundays....I don't care.Put on a song,ask my dad to join in and jam like there's no tomorrow....At most it goes on for 3 hours to 4 hours.Starts at noon.

Oh yeah,as for cops coming to your house,they can't do much,really.
I happen to be a cop...
I've never come across such cases,people with musical instruments making too much noise.
There's more cases of people hollering under the void deck,lol.

Assumption:-

Let’s assume now – Most Of us Staying in HDB Flat here drumming do not have SoundProofing done up (Very expensive eg 8 to 10K for a Room).

When we drum – Who suffers most – not neighbours actually – but, it’s our Family Members most of the time….it’s loudest within our own home…..and thus, I’m sure we have all tried to play the drums here on a very control situation.

You close the door – Worst – sound cannot travel out – it hurts our ears most (the drummer) , you open the door, the drummer himself feel better (not so damaging to his own ear actually and sound better).

This being said…..How many of us hear people playing Majong in some families – it could even be 11pm in the night (I do and it’s quite loud and irritating). But we don’t complain. How many of you heard your neighbours Karaoke Singing loudly (though he/she doesn’t sings well like shouting sometimes – (I do) again we don’t complain. Just an example.

HDB always claims (If people don’t complain – we don’t come and see you), is this justifiable? I say NO (definitely not) what kind of policy is this?. So does it means If I launch a complain against my neighbour who play the paino (they will kenna for sure just because I don’t like it, or the Karaoke guy/girl, the Majong Players ? – Yes according to this HDB (something which is really not a Policy/Law) because it is very very Vague and Bais not justifiable.). Same thing I mentioned before (My home 2nd-floor cannot put Plastic lightweight pot on the edge, even it’s Medium is just twigs – very lighweight also and won’t kill – because my neighbours complain against me. – But the 10th Floor has got 10 pots of Clay-Pot with soil yet can place there which will kills if fallen (HDB Officer told me – because nobody complains against them – so they don’t tell them to put away – Fair System)….

All I am saying here is – We have to be considerate, we had always learn to give and take to neighbours too – but there are Nasty Neighbours too (depending on our luck here) – who will never compromise – they will complain and complain until they shiok then they are happy…So one asked- Why my neighbour complain against me (because I told her daughter countless of time don’t pluck my plants – they are killing my plants & flowers and they don’t listen, so when I told the Mum – the mum not happy with me – complain – how do I know – The HDB Officer is my personal friend who actually told me who complain – which unit so I know of course)……but drumming she never complain me lah..so OK.

As long as our conscious tells us – we had tried our very best in any way eg (don’t drum too early or late, we did really control our playing (but don’t expect no sound from drums lah), it’s ok – fight for our rights as a drummer, as any tenants who have their own right to a certain degree.

Last edited:
=alvyn

well aquanaut is a pretty complex character ... but sometimes ..... ppl (the initial noisemakers) dont realise what they are doing UNTIL they get a taste of their own medicine.

well aquanaut is a pretty complex character ... but sometimes ..... ppl (the initial noisemakers) dont realise what they are doing UNTIL they get a taste of their own medicine.

I don't know Aquanaut personally, so I'm not in a position to comment or judge him, but speaking from personal experience, giving the troublemakers a "taste of their own medicine" is really the worst thing to do.

Like what RD said, most of us stay in HDB, and we'd expect each family to stay at the same unit for around 10 years or more. Which means that both the troublemakers and the family will be in constant contact around the estate. It'll not be very nice if both parties are at loggerheads with each other... after all they're still neighbours and its not nice to have an enemy as your neighbour :)

well who knows...maybe he tried talking to them before hand and didnt get the desired result? Whatever the case... I think it was better than actually being confrontational or calling the cops coz according to him, both the overloud guitar player as well as the karaoke concerts kinda stopped after that... and not a single word or unplesant stare was ever exchanged among the parties...

Maybe they felt guilty about their own deeds and couldnt proceed to call the kettle black?

Last edited:
remember i having a neighbour crazily insensitive. She said i was playing too loudly causing vibrations in her house and she blame me for breaking a cup.How is that possible? i am living in a newly built HDB, dont tell me the quality of walls is really taht bad. Sometimes i feel that the neighbours who don't appreciate music are being paranoid.

remember i having a neighbour crazily insensitive. She said i was playing too loudly causing vibrations in her house and she blame me for breaking a cup.How is that possible? i am living in a newly built HDB, dont tell me the quality of walls is really taht bad. Sometimes i feel that the neighbours who don't appreciate music are being paranoid.

Ok firstly, it is not 100% fair to blame your neighbours for being overly sensitive or "paranoid" because just like us, they have every right to voice out their opinions about your drumming, either negative or positive.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the law is on your side as long as you're not doing anything intentionally to cause duress to them or to "strive" to be a nuisance. There'll definitely be unreasonable neighbours around you, but the onus is on you to work things out with your neighbours and come to a compromise with them. There's no point in whining about it because even though the police and HDB cannot do anything within their power to stop you from playing within a reasonable time frame (iirc, 10am - 10pm), you will get annoyed to no end from countless visits from the police, the RC, and the HDB. I'm speaking from experience here, and the only way out of it is to come a compromise with the RC, HDB and the neighbour.

Side note (or an update here), I received yet another visit from 2 police officers the other day who claimed that they were here on a "complain from someone in my block", with regards to my drumming.

Because one of them, a sergeant, was extremely rude and downright condescending, I shot an email to the police feedback unit, HDB, and RC, including his rank, name, time of visit and purpose of visit. I'll update again if and when they reply to my email. I did question their repeated visits, on grounds that as a governmental body, they should have the resources to check on their past records, which should in theory, show that the HDB and RC have both settled this issue through a mediation session between them, and the parties involved.

My advice to anyone who's on the receiving end of neighbourly complains? As tempting as getting your whole band over to jam and create an insane amount of noise may be, that would signal the end of your home practices because that would constitute as a public nuisance, and get you into trouble that you would not want. Do not confront your neighbour too, as that could be used against you as harassment. Once tempers are raised and words start flying, one wrong word can be used against you as assault (a threat made to him/her). Either way, you're on the losing end. Ask for a mediation session with the RC, and if you receive any calls from town council or HDB, talk and explain to them nicely. If any compromise has been made, or any mediation session made concrete, ask for something in BLACK AND WHITE. This will save you a ton of trouble and time the next time he/she complains about you and the police decides to visit you again.

Mods... possible to sticky this thread? I think there're a lot of HDB musicians around here on SOFT who may be facing the same problem, and I think this would be very beneficial to them.

:)

hmm does electronic drum has those earphone jack?? thought of taking up drumming but afraid of the noise level might be too high for neighbours to bear

lamborghini90 - - - You never tell her "Wah you bery lucky liao just feel vibration which is good for your heart actually once in a while - I heard my Friend drum until his neighbour cannot take it and died of a heart attack u know? kekekeke" - Nah dont say that (remember har).

Bro Alvyn Quote Ok firstly, it is not 100% fair to blame your neighbours for being overly sensitive or "paranoid" because just like us, they have every right to voice out their opinions about your drumming, either negative or positive.

What Bro Alvyn say is true - Even though law is on our side (remembering also that there will be some neighbours who will shoot you once in a while I still get it once in a blue-moon) - The 1st thing we do is to talk to them nicely and make them understand (That You need to practice ) and compromise with them (if possible)....which is difficult lah-they usually would not compromise - and want you to just do what they tell you ...Hahahha - That's what always piss me off.

And YES - we will get annoyed to no end from countless visits from the police, the RC, and the HDB. (but do you wanna give in your RIGHTS here?) - SO what to do - Aiyoh - MUST JOIN Soft's DXS (must get a MP protection on this area later on - as DXS become AN OFFICIAL SOCIAL DRUMMING ACTIVITY HERE IN SINGAPORE ) - as the CCs are Promoting Arts & Music. - WE Needed That - Drumming is also Music not Noise lah

Bro Alvyn Quote Side note (or an update here), I received yet another visit from 2 police officers the other day who claimed that they were here on a "complain from someone in my block", with regards to my drumming.

Because one of them, a sergeant, was extremely rude and downright condescending, I shot an email to the police feedback unit, HDB, and RC, including his rank, name, time of visit and purpose of visit. I'll update again if and when they reply to my email. I did question their repeated visits, on grounds that as a governmental body, they should have the resources to check on their past records, which should in theory, show that the HDB and RC have both settled this issue through a mediation session between them, and the parties involved.

There here it goes again - nobody complain - they don't bother, and they will push the accountability among themselves eg Police, HDB or Town Council (because they know - it's not easy to tackle this issue with you) - it's a gray area. In any way, The Police (especially) should never be Rude to any of you found Drumming (even through their Body Language) - Why ? We all Criminal or what (we are also a Citizen who have our own rights here).....and No Threatening of any sort (Physical or Non-Physical) to us Drummers - the word is Intimination (Threatening).

Last time also - My neighbour tells my Maid "Why are you still watering Plant when I told you not to - the water from your 2nd floor splash on me" - and he was there every morning below my block (a neighbour who stay on the 6th floor) - I got so angry "Call the Police who scoulded him, spoke to our Lawyer from the Orchid Society and I wanted to charge him under "Criminal Intimination" - and I can be it whether I am Physically Harm or not (just Threatening me or my maid by words -) He apologise and after that - never bother me again liao ...... My blady Orchids alone cost me S$15K and above ..crazy that guy - I dont water - sure die what..Nah-Bei Eh - like Harrasement lah.

Remember what I said - Your Home is Your Castle -

Last edited:
hi everyone, how long did it take for u guys to get complaints after u bought ur drums? cuz i juz bought it for 2 months n i play my drums everytime i wake up in de mornin! (arnd 11 plus cuz i gt no schl nw) and i will continue play play play until in the night arnd 8 lidat den i will stop. i think i will be gettin a complain soon cuz my neighbour along the corridor is nt v friendly =X haha

my upstairs neighbour has definitely just bought a drumset. acoustic one too. he/she drums every night till late. i can hear the drums, and the kick pedal whacking the floor somehow.

but i'm ok with it. doesn't bother me. i can hear her/him improving too. hope to meet the fella someday maybe we can jam since i play guitar. keke. :)

I was thinking - Should DXS really be able to inspire people to drums at Jurong West, since we will be having the Drum-Battle Performance on the 23rd Feb 2008 at Jurong Green CC ... I hope the repercussion is there exists a drummer or 2 in every Block there - Hahahahaha - - - - then --- Never Ending Complain maybe... Paper writes " Welcome To Jurong - The Estate WIth The Most Complain Received For Drumming - Whahahahaha !

Back