Electronic drums + HDB - Yamaha DTXreme III VS V-drums?

Pakerdee

Hi all!

Finally got a revelation to solve our drumming probs - HDB, late night practising, complaining neighbours, even tuning probs etc etc. The electronic drumset!

I was a ardent anti-fan of electronic drums for so long until I played the DTXtreme II for a wedding recently and i received many comments that it sounded really good!

I am going to buy a HDB flat soon (getting married!) and was talking to my fren who has a sound company. He said electronic drums is THE way out. Cos I was telling him about my decision to get a 2nd floor Jurong West flat so that won't have neighbours below me complaining about my bass drum.

And as I was reading drumsolo86's Modern Drummer mags, the ad on the DTXtreme III got me hooked. I went to the website http://www.dtxperience.com/dtxtremeIII.php and I was converted straightaway.

But reading the mags further, I saw the Roland V-drums.

Wonder if anyone has tried both of them and has comments on which is better.
I know Yamaha are really good in their electronic stuffs like Keyboards but not their over-priced acoustic instruments.

Dying to grab one! (oh no... I'm sinning again from my covetedness. Thank you Jesus!)

Td-3kw has a mesh snare, lower cost than the Td-12 which has all head as mesh. If you are willing to spent, I suggest you go for the Td-12. The high hat is also connected and you get the visual thing of the hit hat going up and down, if you know what i mean.

Can check them out at swee lee.

I am using the Td-3kw. The high hat need sometime to get use to. Other than that, i like the mesh snare, provides more feel esp for the snare. :D
The roland td-3kw also has chokable cymbal, differnt range for different sound on the cymbal pads.

Drum sound wise, I think it sound better than the yamaha one. Not very sure about the pintech one, maybe you could go check it out and try.

Just my 2cents
=D good luck in your search !

My 2 cents.

Long story short, Yamaha < Roland. Roland's patents aren't just for show... Yamaha has a long long way to go. I've tried the Yamaha DTXtreme III (the rack version) and the Roland TD-20 kit, and then I tried them again and again. And the disappointment with the Yamaha only grew. There is simply no comparison.

Before that, I was also looking at the Yamaha, SGD5100 on sale which is not a bad price. Anyway, I'll bet that you'll come to the same conclusion as me... the Yamaha is not worth buying.

My problem is the same as yours but a light bulb went off in my mind one day -> get a bigger house, preferably one with a basement jam room. Believe me, I spend most weekend looking at houses since then =)

IMHO the Roland V-drum is better than the DTXtreme... but I would not recommend either one because of its ridiculously high price. There are good electronic drumsets with much lower price out there, but if you can afford to the V-drum then go ahead

Back