FEW girl bassist

Distortedbassist, you are sick man. hahahahahahahahahahha. And you're everywhere!

I think female musicians in general are pretty much the same as guys leh. No difference. You strum we strum, You pluck we pluck, You drum we drum.
It's all the same. :)

i can only imagine female guitarists to be the likes of courtney love and avril lavigne, pretty boring i know though morgan lander (kittie) exist, but courtney and avril are the first female stars that popped in my mind before anything else.

female bassists are awesome-er... d'arcy wretzky (smashing pumpkins), melissa auf der maur (hole) looked sexy with the bass guitar. i've seen some local bands with female bassist, freakin' eyecandies...

Another girl bassist here!

Female bassists are overly rare. At least from some of the posts in this thread, I know I'm not the only one.

I think the rarity of female bassist may also be due to the fact that many girls fear broad shoulders which could result from carrying the bass around. Some of my friends(even the guys) complain about the weight, so weight could be another issue.

But it's not only female bassists what... bassists are rare in general. We all special breed!

probably be the weight. It is quite well known that girls are generally (hey, no offence, so if i do offend anyone sorry! i don't mean that girls are weak!) not as strong as guys, so maybe they can't carry the bass for too long as compared to male counterparts. one reason why i chose a guitar over the bass is because of the weight. Bass guitars tend to ues heavy woods in order to resonate the deep bass sound, and the weight can be an issue. As a guy I had already had problems with my fren's bass (freaking heavy after prolonged periods of time) and decided not to buy a bass.
Ironically, after that I went to buy a Squier Strat, only to find out it was pure maple wood =.=

Anyway, I don't think there is much of a difference in whether the bassist (or any band member... well... save for the vocalist) is male or female. I guess to most of us MALES, having a female member (esp one that doesn't do keys or vocals) is quite a new concept and also some eye candy for us to look at. I've seen girls who play the guitar much better than I am, and they can put most guy guitarists to shame with what they've played :p

I agree with you the weight is certainly a problem. i find basses heavy too D: i cant carry it for long periods or my arm will threathen to fall apart. LOL

well after a long time.. naturally u will get used to the weight just like i got used to it too. takes awhile but naturally the weight will settle haha

i have a couple of girl bassist friends too. not say few but rare is more like the case

^^ practice2 then girl can be better in skills than guys! hahaha. people only wana see skills seh. only those retards seee girl then go eeee you confirm duno play wan ah.

how about getting lighter basses?

and oh, for female guitarists, try... jeniffer batten. Fierce boy that one.

HAHA. bass are alrdy naturally heavy lorh. the lightest oso still quite heavy. since the dense wood is a must have to resonate the sound.

only those retards girl see then go eeee you confirm duno play wan ah.

I hate that.

I have this girl friend who was watching me and my other guy friend playing guitar. She was like, "eee, (points to me like one retard) you dunno how to play.. He plays much better"
But we were playing the same song and chords. -_-"
Only that he has that extra short solo parts. No fair.

We're playing the same chords!!!
And she kept saying he's handsome too. FTW!

nofairnofairnofairnofair!

No leh, my light swamp ash bass is super light, and resonates like a beast. All in all it boils down to the quality of the wood and the quality of your strap. A large strap with better weight distribution may also help.

And er. You should really see the number of horny guys on youtube after they see a girl with half decent skills on any instrument. HAHA!

those guys are retards lah. LOL. the ones on youtube i mean. i've seen them LOL. if the girl playing the bass is a guy, bad comments would have appeared in leass than a second. LOL.

I hate that.

I have this girl friend who was watching me and my other guy friend playing guitar. She was like, "eee, (points to me like one retard) you dunno how to play.. He plays much better"
But we were playing the same song and chords. -_-"
Only that he has that extra short solo parts. No fair.

We're playing the same chords!!!
And she kept saying he's handsome too. FTW!

nofairnofairnofairnofair!

haha i havent had my share of girl friends saying that...probably because well...they never follow? hahaha i mix around with people who actually have brains to think before they say something. ^^ those kind of people duno anything anyhow say. lols. why dunch you explain? and MOST girls will go crazy over guys who are in a band. hahaha. and how come the solo parts extra short? make it longerr urh...then more fun. ;D i love solos. LOL

and MOST girls will go crazy over guys who are in a band.

Sigh girl, don't get me started on this one.....
Sometimes I wish I could shave off all my bandmate's hair so the girls will stop saying that their hairstyles are so hot instead of commenting on their music skills when we're jamming.

ARGH!

PFFT! okay2. lols. chillax wont you? HAHA. i bet if got guys duno music oso they will go, eh that girl is hot eh... LOL! then you can shave your head and make them comment on music instead. or worse bcome hot gossip like britney. LOL.

Back