EWI - Electronic Wind Instrument

If you are a wind player, EWI USB from Akai (http://www.akaipro.com/ewiusb) is the one you should get. The reason is that it uses Garritan's library. This gives it more realistic sounds than the old EWI4000 engine (from the youtube link you posted). If you are into sampling, you would probably have heard of Garritan who produces symphonic, jazz, big bands, and marching bands samples at high quality and low prices, using their own proprietary ARIA engine. This can be purchased online.

However, if you are a trumpet player (from your user name...), then you may want to consider the Morrison Digital Trumpet (http://www.digitaltrumpet.com.au/). I have one, since I used to play the trumpet. The difference here is that the MDT doesn't come with a sound engine or library like the EWI USB. You can either get a sound module dedicated to wind instruments, like the Yamama VL-70m, or you can use software samples (like me). The best out there is Sample Modeling - which I use (http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products.php). This will greatly increase your budget, but you get ultra realistic sounds. I have the Trumpet and Mr. T (tenor sax) from Sample Modeling. I also have Vienna Symphonic Library (VSL) samples (which are also very good, but not very well programmed for wind controllers - I have quite a few solo wind instruments from there including the flute, oboe, and soprano sax). MDT can be bought online via the Australian maker. Comes with a nice metal carrying case with mouthpiece etc.

Thanks for the reply Cheez,

Yes, I used to play the trumpet, but it was a long time ago, haha.

I've seen the MDT before but I'm not very impressed by the versatility? I mean, it's a MIDI controller, so to get more sounds, I need to buy even more samples. 2000+ also makes it quite difficult for me to afford.

I was thinking of playing more woodwind sounds (Panflute, shakuhachi) with a trumpet fingering, which is offered by the EWI through the EVI system. I'm also not too familiar with software sampling, (and I'm not sure where I can learn it, haha). That's why I was considering the 4000s. :/

For the EWI USB, does it mean that I need to bring along my laptop every time I want to play it outside? From a noob's perspective, it looks like I do, hahaha.

Thank you so much for your advice. Really need them loads!

elson

You do need to know that the sound of the EWI4000s is not going to be too realistic. For for simple sounds like panflute, you should be able to get by. If you want to start playing realistic sax sounds, for example, it's not going to be too good. Also check out Ebay - some people selling them for 157 USD.

Yes, for the EWI USB, you need to connect to your laptop.

Yes, the MDT is quite expensive. The reason I get it is more than just the fingering - it's the embouchure. In fact, the fingering is troublesome - because you got a lot of other buttons at the side to change octaves (since you cannot change, for example, C to G using embouchure - you need to press a button).

Ugh, that is a bummer. I prefer my MO6 over the M50 because I feel Yamaha has better acoustic instrument sounds, haha. It'd be cool if I can use the EWI USB to play sme of the sounds on my MO6. HAHA! Maybe I'm just asking for too much.

Let's say if I were to get the EWI USB, and bring it out for gigs, how can I then amplify the sound, since it will be connected to the computer? I'm just using a normal Macbook, btw.

Oh yes, the octave buttons at the side of the MDT. Hahaha. Looks like a pretty awkward way of holding the instrument man. And the embrouchure - I bought a Xaphoon recently, and I really cannot get used to rolling my bottom lips inwards. Quite unnatural, having played the trumpet for about 7 years.

You need an audio interface for your macbook. Then it's like any other instruments like your keyboard - audio out to whatever you are connecting it to (mixer, speakers, DI-box etc). It's a line output like any keyboard.

You can't use the EWI USB on a keyboard - the USB is only for computers, not a direct connection to keyboards. But with Garritan, you won't want to use any of the acoustic sounds in your MO6 again!

Oh, alright then. In that sense, it's more troublesome than the 4000s, since the latter can be simply plugged into the amp at the very least, without the mixer or DI-box. However, the sound produced by the EWI USB through the Garritan software makes up for this inconvenience.

Haha, that means I have to research and find out how to actually audio out. I've only seen the mixers and stuff already connected at the back of CPUs, but I've never actually asked how to connect. :/

You can still connect audio out directly from your laptop. You just need to have ASIOforall (free ASIO driver, to ensure low latency). There are various audio interfaces. Actually, if you are not going to do lots of recording and you just want to have your laptop generate sounds (ie function as a sound generator), Echo's Indigo is a handy interface. I'm using one. It's an Express Card. Plug it in, and it's ready to run. It's small and doesn't take up extra space. www.echoaudio.com

Yes, Swizer delivers to you. Very good service. I bought mine a while ago - can't remember how much it cost. I got the Indigo DJx, simply because I'm using it mainly live. I have something else if I want to record. DJx gives you 2 outputs - one to send to the mixer and one for my earphones for monitoring. Because it's an express card, there're no wires to fiddle with.

Dear all,

My friend sold me his EWI4000s a while back and it sounded really good with Native Instruments!

However, when I took my EWI out to play recently, I couldn't connect it to my Creative Travelmate 400 speakers when I plugged it in to the 3.5mm earphone jack. I tried using a 'converter' by fixing it into the 1/4'' jack to try, but the sound won't come out! I was sure this was possible when I got it from my friend. I could only hear myself playing when I plugged in my normal earphones.

Do you think my EWI is faulty? Do any of you know where I can repair my EWI in Singapore?

Thanks so much for your help!

Regards,
Elson

Let me clarify. You could hear yourself play when you plug in the 3.5mm earphone jack directly from your EWI, right? If so, the EWI is not faulty.First, make sure your speakers are working (connect an mp3 player or anything and play it). If that is working, then it's the connection.

Which of the connection is 1/4"? Sometimes, the converter is the one that's faulty.

Oh hello Cheez, nice to hear from you once again.

My speakers are working fine. Use them when I'm watching movies on my laptop.

The converter's fine too. Used them recently to connect to the same speaker for my KORG M50.

I don't quite understand what you meant. The EWI has both the 3.5mm and the 1/4", which was what I tried.

Oh, just to let you know, the speakers I'm using is a Creative Travelmate 400. Have tried connecting my EWI to a Roland Cube Street too, but the problem remains.

Thank you so much for the help!

Do you mean that the 3.5mm (when connected to your earphones) worked, but the 1/4" (when connected to your speakers) is not working?

Hmm, the 3.5mm, when connected to my earphones work,but it sort of hangs when I connect the ewi to my portable speakers using the same 3.5mm.

The 1/4" has never worked before.

I was wondering if it could be a power issue because it is only when I use batteries for my portable speakers that the ewi can be heard.

Which begs the question - why can't it work on a battery-powered amp like the cube street. :/

Back