Cymbal Guide - The Perfect Set

kari_convention said:
drum_hobbyist said:
KC, a 21" Dry Ride should do the job... :wink:
is it K Custom or K ?

i believe its a bosphorus. hm i tried the k custom ride, and i think the k custom dark ride can beat it anyday. the k custom feels a little metallic.

joshie said:
i believe its a bosphorus. hm i tried the k custom ride, and i think the k custom dark ride can beat it anyday. the k custom feels a little metallic.

Hey Joshie..cannot talk like that one mah ! The K Custom is nevertheless without doubt a very good Ride...but the Bosphorus is killer also you know?

PS; You can try my 22" Bosphorus Master Ride, or the 20" Bosphorus Master Turks Ride...or a 21" Bosphorus Traditional Thin Ride...and you will be amaze that it sound very good too......The BOsphorus are in no way inferior to any Zildjian K. Cymbals.

yea bosphorus is really good stuff. thats why i chose it to be my second main cymbal brand. haha rudimentaldrummer thats just my opinion la. i tried the k custom ride and i didnt really like it. but well that's just me. and yea i live in the west!

kc- if you're going for something that's jazzy, why not try the bosphorus? but the master's series is quite expensive.

drumhobbyist- yea i heard lots of cymbals can match the paiste DE crash, i especially like the traditional bosphorus. love the finish and sound. just that i prefer the new orleans to suit my music.

joshie said:
yea bosphorus is really good stuff. thats why i chose it to be my second main cymbal brand. haha rudimentaldrummer thats just my opinion la. i tried the k custom ride and i didnt really like it. but well that's just me. and yea i live in the west!

kc- if you're going for something that's jazzy, why not try the bosphorus? but the master's series is quite expensive.

drumhobbyist- yea i heard lots of cymbals can match the paiste DE crash, i especially like the traditional bosphorus. love the finish and sound. just that i prefer the new orleans to suit my music.
aside of my personal preference which is mainly Zidljian, Bosphorus is hard to get here in Msia. JS Music is sole distributor for Bosphorus but its so expensive and the stocks are limited. They (JS) are now (i believe) concntrating on Stagg cymbals which is much more cheaper than Bosphorus because its much more easy to sell than Bosphorus. Zildjian on the other hand, brought in by the Music Shop monopolizer, Bentley have plenty choices to make and they can order from US if your cymbal that u want is not in stock. So..... i guess u can figure out why am I choosing Zildjians.

KC, actually I was refering to no brand in particular but a 21" Dry Ride can suit both genre of music you are playing... so you don't have to own a particular Ride cymbal for a particular genre... if you ever come to Singapore, I (if I can include Joshie and RD also) won't mind playing host to try Bosphorus cymbals... 8)

hm k custom i believe would be called a special dry ride right? its appearance is pretty dark and dull, but it sounds fantastic. haha yea sure, if you wanna try a new orleans 18" crash that is, cause thats all i got for bosphorus.

drum_hobbyist said:
KC, actually I was refering to no brand in particular but a 21" Dry Ride can suit both genre of music you are playing... so you don't have to own a particular Ride cymbal for a particular genre... if you ever come to Singapore, I (if I can include Joshie and RD also) won't mind playing host to try Bosphorus cymbals... 8)

Hi KC & Bro drum_hobbyist

I conclude..that if a drummer need a more Versatile Ride....(a 21" Ride is more appropriate)......because.

As mentioned "A Dry & Dark Ride) is very much prefered by many...but if a Dry Dark Ride is around 20" - It becomes too dry for certain Music....a 21" Dry Dark Ride on the other hand is beautiful - surprisingly to me - It is the most Versatile for Ride Selection.

drum_Hobbyist...I went home the other day - tried my 21" New Signature Dry Dark Ride - It was very Versatile - most of all...amazing sounding Ride....At Ranking there is 2pcs of the 20" New Signature Dry Dark Ride - which I tried too - this 20" is nice too - but not so Versatile..it's closer to that kind of "Bosphorus Turks sound"...where Sticking sound is prominent...and thus more towards Jazz Music.

PS: I would really love to invite you guys over my place and test my 21" New Signature Dry Dark Ride......surprisingly and homestly (not because of the price I paid for it)...it was much more beautiful than the Bosphorus Range.....

To me Bosphorus are beautiful sounding cymbals (value for money)...but I think their weaknessess...lies in the Bell Sound...Just my 2cent.

There is this special thing about odd sizes... eg. instead of getting a 14" and 16" crash cymbal... go for a 15".... :wink:

drum_hobbyist said:
There is this special thing about odd sizes... eg. instead of getting a 14" and 16" crash cymbal... go for a 15".... :wink:

Bro...that day I saw a 10" Micro-Hats at Ranking (a Paiste Sig).....what is this small little hat used for...I mean in what kind of situation ...are they nice, uniquely sound......It's cute nut....it's as small as a 10" Splash....can tell me something about this...thks

Hi-hats sizes from 10"-12" are labelled as 'micro hats. It is usually used as a secondary hi-hat where it is either stationary or movable (cable hi-hat attachment. The picture of my kit (Bosphorus and Meinl cymbals) shows a stationary 12" hi-hat beside the 10" snare drum. It gives a good sizzling effect when the top hat just loodr yo rest on the bottom hat. Different effect when playing with the tip or the shoulder of the drum stick. So micro hats are known to be special effects cymbals. It is usually played during the bridge of a song to give a different accent. There is so much options in using the hats.

I tested the Paiste Sig micro hats at Ranking and I like the sound so much that I am not willing to pay $500 for it... :lol:

If you place an order on Bosphorus, it will be $200... 8)

hey drum hobbyist.

i really wanna know where in sg is the best/cheapest/FASTEST wa to get bosphorus stuff.

and oh yea, those odd sized cymbls like 25'crashes and 21' rides, generally more rare and expensive?

this is a very informative thread. gd contributions joshie, kc and all the guys..

The second largest personal stockist of Bosphorus Cymbals is none other than Drum Hobbiest home....If you can't get it at Accent you know whom to call ..... :smt040 - gambatak !!!!!

how do i go about ordering from accenT? the website didnt display the detailed info. only the series of bos cymbals available.

Er dude, that's why they have a shop :lol:
Better than sound files anyday. Bring your sticks/mallets with you and go nuts.

It would be a good idea to call before you go and find out what's in stock first. Skali already kenna raided by DH or RD, nothing left :p

gamabatak.....

First you go into CymbalOnly.com (they have the most range of Bosphorus Cymbals)......Listen to the sound file...take down the cymbal range eg Traditional or Master or Turks (Thin) for example, --- then the size eg. 22" Ride - then the WEIGHT of the Cymbal. The sound files provided at CymbalOnly.com are true-sound very exact.

If you do not specify the weight to Accent when ordering....they just order 22" Master Thin (that's all).......be more specific to them. THe 2 salesperson there (the 2 :smt061 are bery bery helpful one.

Don't believe check with Drum Hobbiest.....superb service :smt023

Oh and yes I still owe them a Supper Kekekeke :lol: DrumHobbiest can bring them out for the Breakfast ..Whahahahaha ! :lol:

PS: - Yes Bro Weckl is right - They have quite a lot of Ready Ex-Stock available in Accent...that should be your first stop.....then second stop Drum Hobbiest Home...third stop - See above.... :lol:

wow thanks! haha. reason why i dont wanna go all the way t the shop and test is bcos i live dam far away lah. like east side lor.

if go there test mysefl shiok shiok then nv buy on the same day. dam sian.

anyway. this is great news guys. i will save up for the masters. =P

gambatak... will let you know when Accent is making another shipment and you can get a quotation of your request through email...

RD... will be visiting Accent during the 15 days of CNY... will get some goodies for the staff...

Back