Cymbal Guide - The Perfect Set

I had my Sabian B8 Pro (they call it Crappy Cymbals) for 9 years, before I switch to Paiste Signature & Bosphorus. Truly I can't afford High-End Cymbal at that time, as I bought my 8pcs Yamaha Stage Custom together with the Cymbals from Yamaha at Suntec City. At that time - I was very ignorant about Cymbals...I only know 3 Brand Paiste, Zildjian & Sabian.....Hahahaha :lol: I asked the Saleman "Sabian Good?"..he say "Good & Cheap"..so I buy...and it's been with me for 9 years till I sold it for S$150.00 this year.

To me, I bought the B8 because of ignorance & $$$ not enough, only later on did I realise that Good Cymbals are really not cheap. A set of High-End Cymbals can buy an Entire Entry or Mid-Level-Drum-Kit. My Paiste (all new)cost me about S$5,000.00 (of which only one New Sig, Hi-Hat I bought 2nd hand at S$400.00 from a drummer this year - in superb condition). Why did I buy Paiste? - I was Influence by Anthony Fong and love it's sound from then on......and I don't buy them at one-go. I've to save up for months just to get one-piece of it as I have other commitment as a married man.

Today I feel happy, cause I have what I wanted.....but if someone were to ask me "Did I regreted spending this kind of $$$$ on Paiste"......I say "NO"..but "My Heart Pain Pain".

I remember the 1st time I tested Bosphorus Cymbals in which I asked myself - "Why did I spend so much on Paiste"...I did go ahead to bought a set of Bosphorus and I test it with my Signatures. I concluded that the Paiste Sig are better....but when I compare the prices...Bosphorus are indeed value for money...It's something like - I have to pay 3 times the price of Bosphorus to get 1 Signature...but Bros...truly - The Paiste Sig are not 3 times better than the Bosphorus....a little maybe.

PS: - My personal Opinion is - If I could find Cymbals that I like eg Paiste Signature & Zildjian Constantinople in the Resale Market (2nd-hand) and is in good condition - This will be my priority - I'll buy them - but such good buy are hard & rare to find. WHY?.......because we all knows - Cymbals if well taken care of can last for decades & decades....and the fact that 'Cymbals Prices are increasing every year - unlike a Drum kit - - Cymbal models remain for a long time eg. Paiste Signature, Zildjian K, A or Con......Also the depreciation value (so-call resale value) of Cymbals are unlike Drum Kit - they have good resale value.......So we will not end-up losing alot if we intend to resell them at a later stage. I also feel that most people will sell & change/upgrade their kit more often Cymbals on a general basis.

I use my Paiste Sig on my Gretsch Catalina Jazz Kit....this kit is less than 1K (Brand New), but my Cymbals cost many times more....The same with my Rythmn Traveller (which I got second hand- cheap also lah), but my Paiste Rude Cymbals cost so much higher than the Kit.....(This is just an example here) - I did asked myself - If my Drum-Kit is not so expensive - What the hell am I using more expensive cymbals on it ( I think alot of people will likewise think this way - so they see no need to buy expensive cymbal for their kit - which is rational & justifiable too in this sense)...

All in all, I can only say - It's really a personal preference (especially brands)...and Drummers like us goes through certain evolution stage in upgrading our Kits & cymbals as we know more & are able to afford later-on.

Whatever Cymbal or Kit we own, we should feel good & proud about it - at least we can drum happily. There are many who do not have a Kit/Cymbals because family members do not agree to them playing drums at home...

Let's be happy with what we have now - As Long As We Can Drum..

Wah Law-eh, paiseh paiseh....see beh Loh-soh ah me here...Cheers Bros ! :lol:

kari_convention said:
good finding joshie.. (if there any "rep" system in this forum like PDF, i surely give u one!)..

and i also second on this..
joshie said:
one more thing, i find many drummers tend to waste money on cheaper cymbals. they can't afford one, so they go to a budget range just to satisfy their cymbal needs. after awhile they go back to eyeing the cymbal they couldnt afford. i know not everyone can afford expensive cymbals like the paiste sigs. but think about it. are you better off saving 600dollars and getting the sigs once and for all? or consistently buying more cymbals as the budget cymbals cannot keep up with your sound? i think your total cost will round up to be the same.
because its happened to me. when i first got my kit which i bought used without cymbals, i bought hi-hats and ride with very very good deal from my friend... . but at the end, i regret buying the ride because its really sound awful with lots lots of buzz. lucky the hats are ok. and yes, im eyeing the cymbals that i couldnt afford now... :cry:

hahaha thanks man. yea i myself had that experience as well.

rudimentaldrummer- well said, i didnt know you were that old. i could be half your age? how'd you get the catalina below a thousand?

wanna know what my ride and hats?? its Sabian Pro! it is discontinued model and they replaced it with your B8Pro. same thing, same awful sound. hahaha!

joshie said:
rudimentaldrummer- well said, i didnt know you were that old. i could be half your age? how'd you get the catalina below a thousand?

I bought it this Chinese New Year from Luther Music...it was their disply set....and I knew Ranking New Stock Arrival is going at S$1200.00....so I press & press the Boss to sell it to me....I got it at S$980.00 with the seat. It's Marina White.....Gosh I love the Kit and yes it's a good Value for Money Jazz Kit.

joshie said:
can i try it someday? i've actually been on a look out for it.

Sure my Bro Joshie...you are most welcome to come to my home and try out my Kits/Cymbals, have Coffee and lets share some of our own drumming experiences........Hm.mmmm I think Monday or Tuesday would be a great day...since it's a holiday....

joshie said:

nah-bei what "I didn't know you were that old"...I bery old meh...45 only what (but my heart still bery young you know)...want to die faster izzit har?....Kekekekekee ! :lol: :lol: (JOKING)

joshie said:
you're three times my age!

Oh.hh .. So, you should be around 15 years of age. That's great ! ... keep on drumming and you'll probably be an Awesome Drummer one day.

PS: Tell me one thing - What Makes You Want To Drum?

haha.. btw how do u guys act know each other.. btw thanks joshie.. i'm relatively new to drumming and i think this thread is one of the most constructive thread i've seen so far

dalston

Rudimentaldrummer: my cousin plays the drums, so yea i got influenced and i've been practicing hard ever since. i guess it's just one of the better instruments i wanted to learn since young.

birthout: haha sure thing hoped it helped.

kari_convention: i have a k custom dark ride, well there's no point in trying my cymbal as yamaha has the cymbal on display for testing. i use it a lot for jazz, i just love the sprang a lang sound. but as the name goes, it's definitely darker. i guess now you gotta think which one of the cymbals would suit your music better.

i've edited the post to make my point more clear on page one with reference to what frummer said. hope it helps.

joshie said:
Rudimentaldrummer: my cousin plays the drums, so yea i got influenced and i've been practicing hard ever since. i guess it's just one of the better instruments i wanted to learn since young.

Joshie...something tells me you're my friend's kid. You play the Paino don't you actually?....and you are staying somewhere in the West side...am I correct? Please tell me honestly.

joshie said:
kari_convention: i have a k custom dark ride, well there's no point in trying my cymbal as yamaha has the cymbal on display for testing. i use it a lot for jazz, i just love the sprang a lang sound. but as the name goes, it's definitely darker. i guess now you gotta think which one of the cymbals would suit your music better.
i actually playing in two bands which my main band is a progressive+post rock kinda thing and the other one which is i am working on is a jazz+funk band. so... its kinda confusing which ride i should go.

<<<I concluded that the Paiste Sig are better....but when I compare the prices...Bosphorus are indeed value for money...It's something like - I have to pay 3 times the price of Bosphorus to get 1 Signature...but Bros...truly - The Paiste Sig are not 3 times better than the Bosphorus....a little maybe. >>>

The Paiste DE 16" crash and Bosphorus Traditional 16" crash which I have differ very slightly in tone. When played in the open, can't tell the difference. Bosphorus is indeed value for money... 8)

Back