Cymbal Guide - The Perfect Set

joshie

Thought many beginners will benefit from this.

Getting the right cymbals for your kit can be a challenging endeavor. There are so many types, sizes and colorations of cymbals you might wonder how you will ever decide which ones you really want. You might think that going to a cymbal shop so you can hear each cymbal will help, and sometimes it does, sort of. You go around tapping on the various offerings in a cymbal room and find one you love. Then you get it home and on the gig and it does not sound the same. What's going on? Did they switch it at the store? Probably not, you just didn't hear it in the context of your other cymbals, nor in the context of the room in which you typically play. Oh well, you live and learn.

Then there is the "I'll buy a matched set idea". Yeah. That works when you are starting out. You get a drum kit and know these usually don't come with cymbals. Why do they do that? Because drummers that care about their sound like to mix and match cymbals suited for their particular needs.

There are 5 basic types of cymbals, the crash, the ride, hi-hats, the splash and the china cymbal (often called a china boy, Chinese, trash.) Then there are effects cymbals, orchestral cymbals, marching band cymbals and gongs. Then lets not forget the specialty stuff, like cymbals with large holes in them for that extra trashy sound (The Sabian Ozone) and the Zildjian Trashformer, which looks like it was run over by a semi-trailer. Want to hear different cymbal online? Go to the great Sabian Online Catalog, where you can hear the full range of cymbal offerings from Sabian. Zildjian also lets you listen to their great line from their site. Great source of cymbal samples, btw.

The sound of a cymbal is really a number of sounds that ring together to make the cymbal's overall sonic characteristic. If you listen to a cymbal closely (played soft) you will hear a fundamental tone and a few overtones, or partials. These overtones may occur at many different frequencies, from a low, slowly developing warm hum to a fast bright hi pitched shattering, with a number of tones in between. The harder you hit a cymbal, the more higher overtones you will hear. When a cymbal is called "dark" it will have stronger lower tones. When a cymbal is called "bright", it has lots of high frequencies, and more "cut", which means it can cut through the mix with a piercing, penetrating sound. You will also see cymbals described as "thin", paper-thin", "light", "medium" and "heavy". A heavy cymbal is typically louder, and requires more time and energy to get it to resonate and crash. If you are going large venue gigs, a heavy cymbal can keep your cymbals from getting lost. Yet these can often overpower the band in a small room and send the clientele heading for the back rows. A lighter, thinner cymbal will react more nimbly. It will still cut, crash quickly with less effort, but have less sustain. These make for good recording cymbals as you want the crash to cut, but not have a lot of low overtones that mess with the mix, and you want it to die fast and not ring over the vocalist as they start the next verse. This is just to say that a rich, full bodied cymbal sound is not always desirable.

So should you get a heavy ride and a paper thin crash? That can work sometimes. Jazz sometimes benefits from that combo, where a loud, resonating ride holds up the mix and you want a fast splashy crash, not a megadeath explosion. With Rock, you will be likely to use the bell on the ride a lot and you want it to ring through clearly. So a medium to heavy ride with a medium full bodied crash might be your ticket.

Size Matters, or does it? You might think that the larger the cymbal, the lower the pitch, and this is sometimes true, but you can't go by it. The pitch of a cymbal can also be determined by the height of the bell, that is, if you laid the cymbal flat on the ground, how high would the top of the bell be from the floor. The higher the bell, the higher the pitch. Larger cymbals tend to resonate longer. Take a 20" ride cymbal for example. The ping and crash might be higher pitched than a 16" medium crash, and an 18" crash might be even higher in pitch, yet ring for a long time. Anyone who has ever sampled a few ride cymbals knows these can quickly eat up megabytes of sample memory if you wait for it to decay naturally.

Cymbals are also described as being "glassy", "trashy", "complex", "raw", "dry", "explosive" "swelling" "fast", "exotic" "buzzy", "fuzzy", "narrow", "wide", "delicate", "splashy", "muted", "silvery", "woody", "breathy" , "washy", "clean", "dirty", "buttery" and finally, "eccentric" What th... OK, you want to learn what these mean? Find 3 cymbals and give yourself an hour of hitting all three as asking "Which one is more [you add one of the terms above]. I assure you, after an hour you will be able to define all these terms. You can go down to the cymbal shop and hit a few and go "ah, how exotic, fuzzy, eccentric, yet buttery!". Don't do this too loud now, they will think you have gone over the top.

Cymbal construction. All cymbals are made of bronze. Bronze is not a metal found in nature; it is an alloy, a combination of tin and copper that is mixed in a cast. As the cast hardens, the cymbal is hammered into final shape, either by machine or by hand. Then the cup is added (the bell of the cymbal). Then it is spun on a lathe which makes the cymbal perfectly round. The lathe may also cuts grooves into the cymbal. You can tell the difference between the two by feeling the underside of the cymbal. Some are grooved and some are not.

Sheet Bronze or Cast Bronze? Manufacturing method? Or marketing hype?. Is it a less expensive process for manufacturers to deliver sheet bronze cymbals? You often find sheet bronze cymbals in the newbie sets, line the Zildjian ZBT and ZXT series. Just considering Zildjian cymbals, if it has ridges, it is probably Cast Bronze. If it is smooth, it may be sheet bronze. The Zildjian Sheet bronze series sounds "lighter" and "tinnier" and less rich. Other manufacturers have cymbals that feel like Zildjian sheet bronze, but do not sound "cheap". All bronze was cast at one point or another. The difference, one assumes is whether the manufacturer pours the bronze into a mold shaped like the cymbal or simply cuts it out of a pre-cast sheet. Still, the water is too muddy to base a decision on these definitions. If you like the sound and playability of a sheet bronze cymbal, go for it. There are some cymbals from Paiste that may feel like a sheet bronze cymbal yet a rich in depth and overtones as top line "cast bronze" Zildjians.

Hi-Hats come in two sizes. 13 inch and 14 inch. Here, size does effect pitch in most product lines. The 13" will be more cutting, with slightly more ability to rise above the band on an open hit. Fast stick definition is important as the hi-hats are the "timekeeper" of the band. A 14" hi hat has a more solid, richer sound. A studio drummer is likely to have both, as some songs might require 13" hats.

Adapted from http://www.tweakheadz.com/cymbals.htm

From RudimentalDrummer:
The Art Of Cymbal Making - Very Very Informative (which someone give a lead to this link in DrummerWorld)

MUST SEE:

http://www.cymbalholic.com/articles/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
very nicely done joshie :)

however,i would like to add that sound samples that are found in cymbal campany sites will sound slightly different than being heard live,this is because the mic can never capture 100% of the true cymbal character,so listening to the samples can only be used as a rough guide to the type of sound you are looking for.

Golden rule: always try the cymbals first hand and let your ears do the judging.

i know many ppl tend to get "pai seh" to try the cymbals in shops as they are afraid to cause any disturbance or attract attention.In the case of sweelee,yea the sales ppl there really give u a cold atmosphere and do not takes you seriously unless you are an adult and hence do not encourage the testing of cymbals but the other drum shops around such as rankings,drum resources welcome you to try.

i think this topic should be a sticky as it will allow beginners to get direct information rather than posting a new topic that may not recieve many replies.i hope that probably someone can also make a "drumkit buying guide" to complement this one :wink:

by right there is no perfect set in cymbals.
Its all about what the consumer wants.
Like say, some people might say that Zildjian K customs are the perfect cymbals.
But if i'm looking for something with mild brightness and cutting sounds, then the Sabian AAX' are probably the best cymbal for my choice of sounds.
The problem with most Cymbal guides, they fail by missing out the vital point in choosing a cymbal: what the consumer wants and needs.

to me a cymbal guide should consist of describing the different tones of a cymbal and having a few cymbal examples to refer to. by breaking down the cymbal and into each genre.

cost is also a vital issue. Comparing cost with a tone to get optimum efficiency

the guide also failed to refer to cymbals made of brass.

this is a guide that i find useful cause it aids in informing buyers on what type's and what sounds a cymbal could offer. as you can see there, this guides a buyer on what he thinks he would like, and also aids in the different type of materials a cymbal consist off. it's particularly telling the buyer what this cymbal business is all about.

a set can be perfect to one and not another. as you can see this is a general guideline, im not saying any one brand or series of cymbals is better than another. basically this is a way of letting the buyer know what the market is like and it's ultimately up to the buyer to decide what suits him best, is it not?

tone's and sounds of cymbals can also be rather biased, what i find dark may not be to another. you cant say that a zildjian k custom is for jazz as a cymbal can be used probably for almost any genre, except for a few like the z custom.

like you said a consumer should buy what he thinks he needs, therefore trying out different cymbals to see what suits him. afterall every cymbal has its unique characteristics and can be applied to all circumstances.

as i said, this is a general overview that a find very useful to beginners of all aspects of a cymbal, like size and what sound pitch it produces. think of it as an enriching knowledge of cymbals.

one more thing, i find many drummers tend to waste money on cheaper cymbals. they can't afford one, so they go to a budget range just to satisfy their cymbal needs. after awhile they go back to eyeing the cymbal they couldnt afford. i know not everyone can afford expensive cymbals like the paiste sigs. but think about it. are you better off saving 600dollars and getting the sigs once and for all? or consistently buying more cymbals as the budget cymbals cannot keep up with your sound? i think your total cost will round up to be the same.

Very Informative Materials about Cymbals...Bro Joshie...great post. Alias, I think any Cymbal Company would wish to come up with the Perfect Cymbal....but unfortunately it is not possible...eg. Zildjian came out with Hybrid (to have the best of both world)..

Cheers !

joshie said:
haha tell me more about your teacher man!

Oh..hh you mean...my Drumming GrandMaster & Instructor. Kekeke :lol: :lol: and it was Anthony Fong (Yamaha School) who told me to address Tony as such, cause Anthony was my ex-instructor too...I PM you liao lah...write a short Bibiography of My Drumming GrandMaster..for you...Hehehehe.

When are you buying me coffee har? :eek:

joshie said:
one more thing, i find many drummers tend to waste money on cheaper cymbals. they can't afford one, so they go to a budget range just to satisfy their cymbal needs. after awhile they go back to eyeing the cymbal they couldnt afford. i know not everyone can afford expensive cymbals like the paiste sigs. but think about it. are you better off saving 600dollars and getting the sigs once and for all? or consistently buying more cymbals as the budget cymbals cannot keep up with your sound? i think your total cost will round up to be the same.

If you find that buying cheap cymbals is a waste of money. be real. not everyone has the buying power of a Paiste sig.
From my experience, if you're whole set comprises of cheap cymbals like Paiste 101, paiste 201, or the previous, paiste 302. You'll be very satisified with your cymbals, because you have pride in what you play on. No matter the cost, be it a $10 10" lazer splash or a $700+ k custom ride. If your whole kit comprises of cymbals within the same sound base. Your cymbals have no competition. Therefore you don't really have to get a something like a AAX to keep up with the sound.

alright if you love the paiste 101 sound then go ahead. it's up to you anyway.

let me add on to that: although i've stated that it's better to save up and get a better cymbal. i'm not implying that cymbals that are more expensive are better. this is not true either. if you like the paiste pst 3 or paiste 101 sound, then you should go ahead and get it. i'm just saying that drummer's tend to get the cheaper cymbals for the sake of just having a cymbal instead of saving up for the one's they truly want.

dude he is only trying to say that people CAN appreciate things that arent high end because it is special to them.

anw ( my own addition )...imagine if ur wife bought you a zildjian zbt set...would you throw it away?sell it? USE IT? hahaha...just smth i thought of...wad wud u guyz do? :D

In my opinion, buy a good set of hats and ride, they're the cymbals you're gonna play most of the time, so they're in need of a good investment.

yeah...
its the cymbals that a drummer should care most of.
personally i'm damn happy with my own ride and hats, although they don't sound great, but they're uniquely mine.

Frummer said:
anw ( my own addition )...imagine if ur wife bought you a zildjian zbt set...would you throw it away?sell it? USE IT? hahaha...just smth i thought of...wad wud u guyz do? :D

Me wify bought me a Brand New Wuhan from Wuhan China (as she is always flying around China).....I hit the Wuhan once, then I put it there for months and later sold it for S$50.00 (at Cost). Seriously I feel Bad cause she hand-carried it all the way from Wuhan, but I find that I don't like the sound, so I better sell it to someone who will make use of it - at least it is being put to good use.

good finding joshie.. (if there any "rep" system in this forum like PDF, i surely give u one!)..

and i also second on this..
joshie said:
because its happened to me. when i first got my kit which i bought used without cymbals, i bought hi-hats and ride with very very good deal from my friend... . but at the end, i regret buying the ride because its really sound awful with lots lots of buzz. lucky the hats are ok. and yes, im eyeing the cymbals that i couldnt afford now... :cry:

Back