Annoying experience with SOUNDMIX.

candie

I've just had the most annoying experience with the guy picking up the calls at Soundmix studios. He was the rudest person I've talked to in years.

Conversation:

me: Is there space for xx day xx time?
him: Yah, but only for the small room.
me: okay then.
him: okay WHAT?! (in a sarcastic tone)
me: yes, okay I'll have it then.
him: *mumbles sth inaudible*
me: *waits for repeat*
him: HELLO?! what's your NAME!?(in the rudest tone ever)
me: *gives my name and relevant details, then hangs up.*

My Gawd, I've never met another studio owner ruder than that guy I just spoke to. This is why service in Singapore is going to hell. GAH.

I'd love to shove one of the studio guitar's headstock up his arse. Then play the strings and watch him writhe in pain LOL. I think I'm evil. :lol: :twisted:

Still, he is in the service business, he provides a service and by providing bad service, he's ruining his own business. Word of mouth is by far the most useful and at the same time the most detrimental form of advertisement. I hate to be a bitch about it but that's the truth. :p

candie said:
I'd love to shove one of the studio guitar's headstock up his arse. Then play the strings and watch him writhe in pain LOL. I think I'm evil. :lol: :twisted:
Dean guitars? 8O
Aiyah, relak lah.

haiz... i dislike rude & ego ppl in music industry.... although there are always bound to be ppl like this all ard....

sad :cry:

i had a bad experience booking over the phone with the same person too. he sounded like he was very annoyed, and the day i went down to jam i was late and he sort of scolded me cause i wanted a small extension. unpleasant experience.

the place look pretty cool though, but somehow the overall sound was extremely weird, maybe cause there were too much stuff to play around with, like the soundboard and all

ive been having pretty good experiences wif soundmix actualli :) always go there whenever my band wanna have a live recording. gd stuff soundmix! 8)

agree with emg-rocks.

working with the soundmix crew has been nothing but a pleasant experience. these ppl really take care of your sound, as long as u know what you want.

I've had nothing but good experiences when jamming at soundmix. I honestly think people here in Singapore expect a tad bit too much when dealing with people in the music business. Fact is and will always remain imho, you won't be able to get top notch "HELLO MAY I HELP CHEW" type of service from people here.

And another thing to consider, maybe he's just having a bad day, or that's just the way he speaks.

Darren has been really nice to my band and I whenever we go there and jam. I recall one occasion where we jammed and chose to record the session, the recording device cocked up and nothing was put down on tape. He didn't charge us for the whole session, yet alone the jamming time, and my band jams for at least 3 hours a session.

He made up for it by rescheduling another slot for us.

Give the guy a chance, the place rocks imo, I haven't come across another studio as spacious and as nice as an environment, and people there who actually care about what satisfying their customers in terms of their sound preferences.

Yay! I guess that means more free slots! :lol: Okay, just kidding, yah? Darren and Sanjay at Soundmix are one of the nicest people I've come across. Awesome mixing, responsive to our requests and fun to bitch with *lol* Maybe it's his 'dead-pan' voice or something lah...and besides, you can't really tell a person's character/attitude just via a brief phone conversation. Miscommunication/misunderstanding do happen since you can't tell both party's expression, intention, etc...besides, your 'okay then' doesn't seem very clear as well...could mean you don't want it or something. As much as quality in service is important, it takes both sides to complete the loop.

i think soundmix is pretty alright man..... good service what.... i guess i didn't have any bad experiences with them.... they are nice people..

Darren replies

Harlo to those who support us and for those who dont.

Interesting. Erm....All i can say is point taken. I deal with all sorts of people everyday, some totally point blank silly and some really really nice jammers. As one guy put it, it takes two to complete the loop. So.....

Yes I get irritated when I deal with jammers frequently who dont know what they want and yet call up for a slot.

Things like

Hi Can i book a slot? .... erm when lah u know? next year or now or after u get married?

Or

Do you have a slot ah? And then every info that i require he has to confirm with his friends first.

Or

People who forget to cancel their slots and make me or my guys wait for nothing. But we tend to forgive those who call back to apologise.

Or
Hi do you have 7 to 9 tomorrow.
No man sorry its packed up tomorrow.
Oh......30secs silence............................................................really ah?
Erm yeah really.

Or still the champ

Hi can I book the studio B in the afternoon?
Sure but its booked from 3 to 5.
Oh ok then can i book 2 to 4?

That was at 10am on a sunday morning, and i dont go to church.

Sure man its funny sometimes, but too much of char kuay teow can give u heart pulpitations.

As Candie has put it, word of mouth can be detrimental or be helpful to the business. As we have read in this forum, some enjoyed their experience some did not. Welcome to life and the way the world revolves. I totally agree we aint a Giordano type of place. You want ear candy, sorry man, that aint me.

Mellapong, if I sounded as if I scolded you, well, apologies, but as u mentioned.. you were late.

Since we are all on this topic of studio etiquette, hope maybe u all can try to show this to all studios?

1) Arrive on time
2) Granted emergencies, cancel at least two days in advance.
3) If you are late and expect extensions, you might not get it. unless you wanna talk to the next band urself.
4) Be a humble and responsible jammer. Ear candling helps if you think its getting softer all the time.
5) Do not call us up and ask if the coffee shop nearby has got good food, whats the price and opening hours. *

* I think that only happened to me

So, well, thats my thoughts and wishes. If some of u are still not satisfied with my response, there really is nothing i can do about it. But for those who have enjoyed ur time, its been a pleasure for us as well.

Cheers everyone.

aiyoh... sound mix is da bomb la... along with bmc, and fourtones... and even tiet studios which i only went once.... all nice guys... great attitude..

perhaps your experience was just a stroke of bad timing la... maybe the studio operator had a bad day etc... we are all but human after all. pls forgive and forget! sound mix does kick serious ass... esp the big room.

Back