Alvin Tan Signature Drum Kit By Malmborg Drums!!

this may not be the best place to ask this stupid question, but im still gonna ask anyways.

what's the difference between wooden hoop and metal hoop, apart frm the face that wood dun rust? lol.

Thanks! Played 2 gigs and had great reviews from musicians. The sound of the hoops have been discussed in another thread. Kindly take a look there. Cheers!

Hey guys!
Haven't been on here in a while

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Glad you like it

Good to see the kit with dressed up with some cymbals
I don't know how you can play with your hihat so far to the left though Alvin! You double kick monster you! :-D

Couple of little things - The snare hoops are made out of Blackbutt instead of Tasmanian Blackwood which is why they look a bit different to the rest of the kit, and both the snare and rack tom are 4.5" deep instead of 4"

cheers!

Oh my goodness that is so gorgeous. Congrats alvin! I would buy that thing in a heartbeat if it were a conventional drumkit. Yeah malmbas do you have a website or something? I'm super interested in a wood-hooped snare.

Everyone ravs about the wood shells for good reason - BUT - my eyes are in the hardware. No one talks about the hardware on this setup ?!?!?! :)

From my observation of the pics, the snare and the RT are mounted specially on two of the FT stands. Even the hoops are cut specially to let the mount through. Nice.

One good thing about this setup (snare and RT mount over the FT) is that it adds weight onto the FT which makes it less likely to move about since it doubles up as a bass underneath.

Alvin - this snare mount is slightly different from the Pearl Mod you have (which I also have).

If you have feet of lead or are used to playing heel-up on the bass, you will find that the FT moves quite a fair bit if you dont know how to feather the bass. By mounting a snare and a RT onto the FT adds weight and makes it harder to move. Ingenious !!!

I love the hardware over everything else.

Hi guys,

thanks for your compliments. Aaron Malmborg's workmanship is really excellent. You guys should see the finish close up.

Softwaremaker: Good on you to pick up on the details! The floor tom now has 4 legs because I wanted the snare and tom to be mounted on the floor tom. The added weight makes the kit 10 times sturdier. Also, Aaron suggested that I should mount the cymbals on the floor tom leg to reduce stress on the shell. I am now using the same idea to mount the Tom and snare (on the leg)s and bypass the clamps on the shell. Huge improvement to adjustability too. Will post pics soon.

Also, Aaron suggested that I should mount the cymbals on the floor tom leg to reduce stress on the shell. I am now using the same idea to mount the Tom and snare (on the leg)s and bypass the clamps on the shell. Huge improvement to adjustability too. Will post pics soon.

I would be very interested to see the pics as to how it is being done. How would mounting the cymbals on the floor tom reduce stress on the shell ? Seems like the FT is the entire focal point of the kit - which really makes it a cocktail hip gig, doesn't it ? :)

Cheers guys, thanks for the kind words!

This kind of small cocktail kit is sometimes known as an 'Espresso' kit, which i think is a pretty apt name since it has a fair punch for it's size!

The new setup of mounting everything off the floor tom legs is great! Less contact with the shell, more adjustability and as you say the 4 legs and the added weight keeps the floor tom sturdy when the bass drum pedal contacts

As Alvin said I'm a custom drum builder, so if anyone wants anything specific just contact him with the specs you are interested in. It's just easier to deal through him since i'm based in another country

Sorry, guys i haven't got a website yet, I've got a mate who's about to start work on one for me.
There's a couple of pics (nothing professional) on my myspace if you want to have a look; www.myspace.com/malmborgdrum
I'll try and put a couple more pics up there soon

I've got a 4 snares i'm about to send over to Alvin. I've just been remaking one of the shells because i wasn't happy with the original one, as soon as that's done i'll be sending them over
Cheers

Ah I see - Mounting off the legs. I read it wrongly.

Pretty soon, someone (maybe you :)) will be creating a foldable mini rack around a floor tom and selling it. Dont forget my royalty dues if this mini Floor Tom rack takes off :)

I had the honor to jam on Alvin's cocktail drumkit the other day. Really sweet sounding and it is definitely very sturdy. I could play heel up for the kick pedal without worrying that the floor tom would shift. Nice!!

Mel, glad you loved it! If you didn't notice, the heads were all Attack drum heads...i'm always amazed by how much more depth and resonance the Attack skins have....

Malmborg Snares arriving in approximately a week!!

Malmborg10X6BrushBoxStavewithAgedKa.png

Specs:
6x10 Brushbox stave with Aged Karri Hoops
Allstar Lightweight Step Lugs
Double 45 degree bearing edges

Malmborg14X4BrushBoxStavewithBrushB.png

Specs:
4x14 Brushbox stave with matching figured Brushbox hoops
Allstar Lightweight Bullet Lugs
Double 45 degree bearing edges
Dynamix Snare wire

Malmborg10X6BrushboxStave.png

Specs:
6x10 Figured Brushbox stave with Black Stain fade
Anodized black Allstar Lightweight Bullet Lugs
Matching black chrome hoops, strainer and buttplate
Slight roundover double 45degree bearing edges

Malmborg14X6QueenslandWalnutStave.png

Specs:
6x14 Queensland Walnut Stave
Allstar Lightweight Bullet Lugs
45 degree/Round over bearing edges
Puresound snare wire

Please PM me for Prices!! You will be SHOCKED!!!

Real nice. I love Allstar lugs so it's great he's using them.

This is my first time hearing about Brushbox wood. Perhaps Aaron can chime in and further elaborate on their characteristics and how they perform as snares?

Just drop by the lab and have a try when they arrive. You have to hear them for yourselves. They have very unique characteristics. Right now these will be unique to Singapore. So do drop by.

Back