Warning to Youtubers

kerplunk182

IMPORTANT!
Find out if the artist that you covered is under Warner Brothers and remove if necessary to avoid your account being suspended by Youtube.

Quoted from David Choi's channel. Btw check out his channel, he's amazing.

"YouTube WANTS to allow everyone to do covers. They really do. Why wouldn't they? The problem is, the labels also want to be paid (and respectfully and rightfully so) for the videos that use their songs. Maybe YT doesn't want to pay enough. Maybe WB is asking for too much. Both parties want the best for their company.

Now since Warner Brothers is one of the ONLY music companies who did not come to an agreement with YT, YT must get rid of all traces of WB copyrights or WB will be angry with YT. Why would WB be mad? The reason is because, if YT is not taking WB videos off, YT is making money off WB videos. Simple as that. YT did not get permission from them, and they have no contract. YT doesn't want to be in trouble, so they take action fast (suspending people is the easiest way) before they get caught. "

i don't think youtube would do that. they would at the most remove the videos or mute the videos. they've been doing that for years, why would they suddenly go to the extreme of suspending accounts?

WB is already so rich! how much money can they lose with people doing covers.. they are just ridiculous :confused:

well, it's not how much they lose but how much they don't earn. apparantly you do not understand the economics of the music industry..doesn't mean that if they don't lose a lot of money means no action has to be taken..

i think having a disclaimer at the start of the video would allow the video to stay playable on YT? cause im seem a couple of videos with the disclaimer and they are not removed from YT yet while other covers without the disclaimer have already been removed.

The music companies are really a silly lot to keep people from putting their artists' stuff on youtube.

Just the day before, I spoke to a Japanese bassist of the band I love. He was very surprised that I even heard of them or able to get their DVD (I got it online at hmv japan). I told him that the band should put more of their stuff on youtube so that more people can get to know them. But guess what, they have a contract with a music company, so they can't do that.

Too bad lor...

my account got suspended years ago because i posted some Three days Grace videos.
is Three Days Grace from Warner Brothers?

Lol i thonk they gave tou 0 days grace!!!!

If they want to really take action from the money they lose, they should dhut down all to****t sites. It doesnt take an idiot to figire that out.

Music doesn't belong to the company! F*CK I hate WMG!!! If a song is covered by an individual, it doesn't mean that the song was stolen. What the f*ck! I hate it when I go to youtube to watch some videos of my fave songs and they swapped the song with a CREED SONG! Muthaf*ckers.

the only reason why WB are resorting to these kinds of tactics, lawsuits etc is because they DONT KNOW how to make money from selling records. that proves to you the kind of candy-ass record label they really are

FYI if you perform a cover in any public setting there is a copyright royalty payment payable. (note jamming is not performance as there is no audience).

Normally it is the pasar of the event organizer to cover this license.
Most of your underground type gigs just don't bother, but if Compass (copyright agents) notice your publicity they will come to check if you are performing copyright songs (ie covers). Copyright license for gig/concert is usually somewhere around $1000! (its calculated as a percent of tickets, but for tickets below a certain amount they charge based on a higher "ticket price"

I know this because I kenna before, which is why for most the event is organized before i will always insist the band plays originals as the copyright would not be assigned to compass, and the performer can chose not to collect the royalty

my account got suspended years ago because i posted some Three days Grace videos.
is Three Days Grace from Warner Brothers?

I know how you feel dude. My account got suspended years ago cause i posted videos i got from Guitarworld magazine. Hahaha.

Youtube also screwed up my other account. I tried to log in but they say "Sorry, your login was incorrect." Like as if i don't know my freaking log in details. I've tried to contact Youtube about this but i can't seem to find an email that can reach them. All they have is a "forum" kinda thing where several users share their problems, bugs and solutions. Even Friendster replied my email when i sent them one. Anyone has any similar experiences?

where is Stsanders?!? i want my shred videos back! Stsanders make parodies out of rock bands and guitarists, and he even got to meet slash in person!

Hi All, I got this from my notes.

What is copyright infringement?

The owner of a copyrighted work has the right to prevent other people from doing any of the things that he has the exclusive right to do. If someone assumes any of these rights without permission, i.e. if someone reproduces, publishes, performs, broadcasts or adapts the work without permission from the owner, this is known as infringement. Infringement of copyright gives the owner the right to take legal action against the person infringing copyright.

**In the media industry, permission to use copyrighted works is normally obtained in addition to acknowledging the use of the works.

Ah well. I guess we are in the wrong since we don't have permission for covering the song and upoloading it on Youtube. But I guess it's worse for the artist when they find out that no one is covering their songs anymore. How sad is that :(

Back