Wad cymbals do u guys have...

I will be getting a box set of Istanbul mehmet Samatya hihats, crash and ride. Any drummer using this brand/model? :D Heard there is a Istanbul Agop as well.

Hope you manage to grab another!

It will be tough to get one off the Drums-Buy-Sell here as the majority of drummers here on SOFT seemed very focused on the "branding" of cymbals, meaning they pay money to buy the brand, and not the sound. My own personal opinions only :) Also, the majority of drummers here seemed to like "volume"...

Anyways, if my budget allows, I may get a new one from the Traditional Series :) although I have came across this Hubback 22" Steel Flat Ride:

R0015765.jpg
and its corresponding sound clip here: http://home.mnet-online.de/cymbalis...ection/Hubback/22_Hubback_Steel_Flat_Ride.mp3

AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL, aint it?

I'm a Sabian man!

Yo guys the following are the Sabian parts of my cymbal family at the moment

4831_205534060393_610150393_7595372_2969641_n.jpg

(Chinas)
Sabian 20" Paragon
Sabian HHX 20"
Sabian 19" AAXtreme **
Sabian 14" HHX Evolution Mini chinese **

(Splashes)
Sabian 7" Mike Portnoy Max Splash (Brilliant)
Sabian 9" Mike Portnoy Max Splash (Brilliant)
Sabian 9" Mike Portnoy Max Splash (Natural finish) *
Sabian 11" Mike Portnoy Max Splash (Brilliant)

(Hats)
Sabian 14" AAX Fast Hats

(Crashes)
Sabian HHX 16" HHxtreme crash
Sabian AAX 17" AAXplosion crash
Sabian 14" HHX Studio crash *
Sabian 17" AAX Studio crash *
Sabian 18" AAX Stage crash *
Sabian 16" Paragon Crash *

(Rides)
Sabian 22" Hand Hammered Rock Ride
Sabian 21" HHX Groove ride (Natural) *
Sabian 22" Medium Artisan Ride *

(Effects)
Sabian Mike Portnoy Max Stax Hi
Sabian 7" Alu Bell
Sabian 9" Alu Bell *
Sabian 8" Chopper *
Sabian 10" Chopper
Sabian 12" Chopper

* = not shown in picture
** = lying in the background on the floor

Drum update in the drum thread

Last edited:
Unclenabe:
Woahhh! Paragon China! Awesome stuff. Love it!

Softwaremaker:
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a drummer (or any musician for that matter) to lean more towards a certain brand. It doesn't mean that he/she is only going for the branding (although some do lah). For me, I just like the type of sound that Sabian cymbals offer. It's as simple as that. I believe different brands of cymbals have different tones to offer, which gives different drummers and consumers more choices on what he/she prefers :)

Anyways, if my budget allows, I may get a new one from the Traditional Series :) although I have came across this Hubback 22" Steel Flat Ride:

R0015765.jpg
and its corresponding sound clip here: http://home.mnet-online.de/cymbalis...ection/Hubback/22_Hubback_Steel_Flat_Ride.mp3

AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL, aint it?

Beautiful but... I don't really like the soundclip =(

Softwaremaker:
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a drummer (or any musician for that matter) to lean more towards a certain brand. It doesn't mean that he/she is only going for the branding (although some do lah). For me, I just like the type of sound that Sabian cymbals offer. It's as simple as that. I believe different brands of cymbals have different tones to offer, which gives different drummers and consumers more choices on what he/she prefers :)

I don't think he means liking a certain brand, more of how some people only look at the brand while buying. I.e. "IF IT'S ZILDJIAN IT"S AWESOME OMG OMG IF IT'S NOT THEN IT'S SHIT"

Anyway, I love Sabians too! And some Zildjians and the shimmery sound you only find in turkish cymbals. Whatever some people say about just listen to the sound and ignore the brand, the thing is, so far I still have not found a Paiste that I love as much as the cymbals I have now.

@Composer of Requiems:
Thanks for understanding my point when I made that statement. I have actually written to Mel80 and explain to him my position too and he understood now what I was trying to say. But you nailed it straight with your statement:

I don't think he means liking a certain brand, more of how some people only look at the brand while buying. I.e. "IF IT'S ZILDJIAN IT"S AWESOME OMG OMG IF IT'S NOT THEN IT'S SHIT"

Softwaremaker & Composer:

No worries man. Sometimes, words get misinterpreted when it's just typed in a forum. I wasn't being aggressive or anything either. If I appeared so, my apologies. At least it didn't develop some kind of flame war lah hor? :p

Anyway, moving along....
The Hubback Steel Flat Ride looks awesome! Love the hammerings!

Unclenabe:
Woahhh! Paragon China! Awesome stuff. Love it!

Softwaremaker:

Thanks! Actually i was wondering whether to use the AAxtreme china or Paragon or not but i haven't had the time to experiment with the AAxtreme yet..

my cymbals

i have the following for each genre i may play:

rock:
18 HHXtreme Crash
18 HHXplosion Crash
18 HHX Evolution Crash

jazz:
20 K Constantinople Med Thin Low
22 K Constantinople Med Thin High

both:
10 HHX Evolution Splash (anyone want to buy?)
8 A Custom Splash
6 Zil-Bel (quite nonsense)
20 K Custom Med Ride
13.25 K Custom Hybrid Hats

constantinoples are from New York's Guitar Center, handpicked (great service there). for these handmade cymbals, i recommend you do not order online, but visit some country and test/hear for yourself. sweetest sound EVER.

constantinoples are from New York's Guitar Center, handpicked (great service there). for these handmade cymbals, i recommend you do not order online, but visit some country and test/hear for yourself. sweetest sound EVER.

Constantinoples are not 100% handmade! No more. Zildjian uses machine to manufacture their so called "handmade" Cons. Once you tried a handmade cymbal, you will know what I meant.

Yeah that's right Zildjian no longer hammer their own cymbals. It's all taken over by machines and there are many artistes who have switched to other companies for that sound they want. (eg Cindy Blackman to Istanbul)

Handmade cymbals are in their own league definitely. Check out offerings from other companies ilke Dream, Istanbul, Sabian (off my head)

word. important thing is you handpicked them yourself. meaning YOU went through the collection at GC and picked out the ones YOU liked. as long as you dig 'em, it's all good.

hardly happens here 'cos Yamaha has a crappy selection.

Just discovered a real BOO BOO!!!

I am planning a new order for Turkish cymbals and discovered that now they are selling the Moderate series as individual pieces costing more than the Classic series. I wrote an email to them to ask them how can that be possible and only to realize that the Moderate series is really not "Moderate" in terms of quality. It simply describes the overall tonality and response of the series.

In other words, the Moderate series is actually considered pro range and in fact, they take longer to produce because of the extra polishing work put into them.

So those guys that have previously bought the box sets....you guys got it in a SUPERB price!!! That was an introductory price which I didn't even know about!

Also, do look out for the new shipment! Should arrive in a month!

Cheers!

Big collection there retardrummer! Hey you know I'm getting bit tired of seeing your HHX-AAX posts on the buy-and-sell, maybe you can consider another title like "giving away free HHX-AAX", I'm sure you get response! *haha joking*

To Frummer: hope you enjoying that 20" KCDR that you got from me still! No problems I hope..

Anyway I got a new cymbal which came in! 20" Artisan Light Ride!
Washy ride but still very reasonable stick sound and big trashy crash to this baby! Here are some pictures:

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

Last edited:
shit...how much did you get the artisan for? i bet it sounds real good.

if you ever decide to sell it, look for me. :D. i'll be glad to take it off your hands. haha..

I got it off ebay. Inclusive of shipping I think it was around 400. Don't think I'll be letting go off the Artisans in anytime soon yet really..

Back