USB or Firewire

Mobius

Planning to get a recording interface, I record my tracks separately, my friend's advice is to get a firewire one, but since i only record one track by one track, is there a need for the faster speed that a firewire provides?

in a word -- no.

you probably won't see the advantages of a firewire interface until you start running an 8x8 system or larger. usb2 can handle most things if you're just recording 2 or 3 tracks at once.

the digidesign mbox 2 mini uses usb -- says quite a bit about speed requirements there...

Last edited:
jbarker is right. For recording very few simulataneously tracks, USB should suffice. Of course, you won't know when you'll start to expand to 4-5 or more simultaneous tracks. You have to make that decision.

For USB audio devices, remember that the problem is most notebooks/PCs come with 3-4 USB ports which may controlled by one USB controller. Once you plug in a USB 1.1 device into one port (mouse is the usual culprit), all ports drop to USB 1.1 speed even if you have other USB 2.0 devices connected. PC may come with more than one controller, so you just need to make sure you plug your slower devices into one group of ports from one controller. Notebooks are more problematic. Make sure no slow devices are plugged in at the same time.

Last edited:
How about when you wan to use plug-ins like Amplitube 2 and Guitar Rig 3 to replace your amp? The live monitoring sucks up a lot of bandwidth, especially if you're recording at the same time, no?
I reckon that Firewire allows you to play more tracks also, right?

Plugins are processed in the PC - hence CPU and RAM comes into play. Even if you use Amplitube or Guitar Rig as standalone, the processing is still by the CPU. Playback - most will be using stereo, 2 channels playback. Few people use multi-channels playback like surround etc. In fact, few audio devices will have multiple outputs (>2)that one will put into good use.

For live monitoring - again, if it's done with lots of tracks, then firewire. If not, USB should suffice. If using PC, I will always suggest PCI or PCIe to firewire or USB.

Thanks all for the help!

I am considering TASCAM US-122L, anyone has experience on this?

From luther's web:
http://www.luthermusic.com/index.php?module=WB_GroupPageGen&Pid=622&Gid=3110000

Record two tracks at a time with zero latency; whether you have a PC or a Mac, your song ideas go down in real time, real easy. Its size means you can take it anywhere you take your laptop, yet it's packed with features that make buying it an audio no-brainer. MIDI input and output, high quality mic inputs, 96kHz/24-bit recording (better than CD quality)-all the stuff you'd want without the fluff you wouldn't. The US-122L: the answer to your recording needs.

FEATURES:

> 2 XLR mic inputs with phantom power
> 2 analog line inputs (1 switchable to high impedance for use with guitars, basses, etc.)
> 1 MIDI input, 1 MIDI output
> USB 2.0 equipped (also supports USB 1.1)
> Up to 96kHz/24-bit for high quality recordings
> Zero-latency hardware monitoring
> Headphone/level control
> Bus powered for use with any PC or Mac, including laptops

RSP: S$299.00 Now: $250.00

The low price is a draw, plus it has midi in/out

theres no such ting as zero latency

theres no such thing as zero latency. even with direct monitoring, there is latency..only will there be noticeable or not. :) my 5 cents worth

theres no such thing as zero latency. even with direct monitoring, there is latency..only will there be noticeable or not. :) my 5 cents worth

YEAH tts what i thought when i read the specs. good marketing scheme though!

Anyone tried the NI Audio Kontrol 1?

Back