TV Commercial Music

empihsrow

Somehow I really like the TV's list of music.

Have you guys ever heard a familiar tune on the TV while they're showcasing a TV programme's ad? Especially drama serials and your Sunday movies?

Haha, I sure did and I was like, wow. Their music editors are definitely open-minded in music. I have heard Static X's Cold, Tristania's Beyond The Veil, Linkin Park's One Step Closer, A Perfect Circle's Passive, Nickelback's Hero, etc.

I'm just highlighting this. Wanna know how much do you guys actually listen to TV tunes instead of just plainly watching the TV. So, yeah. :D

well one of them movies had SOAD's lonely day which was the only moment that caught my attention while watcing tv.not even victoria's secret can beat that.

I usually hate tv commercial music, and I don't watch tv much. Everytime it's on there's always some form of music playing catering to the lowest common denominator or just plainly mirroring what's hot on the radio charts. Sometimes, commercials like ipods do feature interesting artists, such as Feist or Daft Punk but most of the time it sucks.

Tv show themes, on the other hand are much more interesting. Shows like Oz, Futurama, Dexter, the Office... these all have interesting compositions that immediately capture your attention.

Haha, I hope they actually do because I just like their song choices. It's kinda cool to suddenly hear Beyond The Veil on a TV ad.

They've played Electrico before.

It's not difficult to get it on air. Just if they think your song is suitable for the commercial.

I've heard the intro of Stoned Revivals' 'Goodil' (one of my all-time fave tunes! \m/) being looped on a Chinese radio station!!!

Have you guys heard of Sinema.com.sg ? It's a place where they screen locally made movies. Friend of mine is "running" the place but I've yet to check it out. I heard you can put your songs on their ipod touch so that movie makers can preview your tracks and if it's ideal, use the tracks on their projects.

Anyway back to topic. I'm liking some of the song choices and hopefully, the musicians get paid.

prison break used to play Muse's songs for the ads. nice choices. those are the only ones i hear. haha. but heck some of the songs are really not suited for the show. like Foo Fighter's The Pretenders used in 'En-bloc'. not suited la..

i have to say something here.. something which i noticed while working in this godforsakened 'tvc' industry for a little over 2 yrs.

the majority of the people who pick the music/tracklist for tvcs usually don't give a fart which music they pick. just as long as they like it. they don't really care if it fits, as long as the main geist is there and the music drives the mood it's ok. they don't listen to the composition of the song, the lyrics of the song or how it's meant to be listened. they just choose it. and sometimes, they play the song not because it fits, but because they HAVE to in order to please the labels.

that's the majority for you.

of course, there are a few who actually care and well, i respect them. yes i've met a few. i can count them with one hand, seriously.

sad but true. i'm sure those who've been there, done that can vouch for this.

I've heard anti flag's rank-n-file on one of channel 5's advertisement. And explosions in the sky's songs are always used on Friday Night Lights series (which makes perfect sense, since their stuff is basically the sound track of the movie)

I just think that a lot of people do not pay attention to TV tunes because sadly, only the motion entertains them.

Rarely, people have taken notice of an important aspect of media which is sounds. Without sounds, I guess media would not be at this state today.

Royalties

Just a side-note, the artistes generally do get paid royalties. A collecting society (in Singapore's case, COMPASS), will listen to the number of times the song is played on air and at what times and in what situations. Based on the frequency and the importance or "weight" of the airtime, they tell whoever has aired the song how much is owed to the writer. Then, they take a percentage of the royalties collected and the rest goes to the writer. The catch is, only writers get paid royalties, so if the rest of the band isn't registered as the writer, they don't get royalties. That said, these royalties, known as public performance royalties can be quite a bit when the song's played regularly (BMI estimations for Daniel Powter's 'Bad Day' were somewhere around USD$8m by last summer), and getting your song played on prime time tv is a good way to get noticed, so I'm sure Plain Sunset is getting it's fair dues ;) I'm also pretty proud to hear them on cable, I've been in another Asian country for student exchange for the past 7 months, and hearing their song just made me smile. Singapore DOES have pretty decent acts (though I still prefer Electrico), and it's very vindicating to see any of them being exploited commercially.

Back