Tube pedals.

teleplayer

I know there's a thread like this before.. but that thread like very dead already...

Anyway, can someone recommend me a good tube pedal with a real tube inside? How much?

most of them are marketing gimmicks imo.

just like hybrid amps.

but there are some which ppl swear by, bk butler tube driver for example.

i dont much about those, but what i do know is that ehx has some tube pedals like the tube eq. not sure how much it is though

Dudelove: I wonder if it's available in singapore.... on the website, bk butler hand made it... and need a week plus to finish...

bigblackbear: ebenex wrote 300+

Dudelove: I wonder if it's available in singapore.... on the website, bk butler hand made it... and need a week plus to finish...

i saw one at guitar connection. hahah u'll be shocked at the price lah. this kinda boutique stuff soooper expensive

imo ONE 12ax7 or any other preamp tube, aint going to make a significant difference in tone.

i think they are just there as a marketing scheme. telling everyone that with tubes u get tube warmth and whatsoever. so once a potential customer hears "whoah pedal got tube siol" he'll rmb - tube > solid state. so there..

most of them are marketing gimmicks imo.

just like hybrid amps.

but there are some which ppl swear by, bk butler tube driver for example.

+1 coz I have one. Compared to any other tube pedals like Radial Tonebone etc, the Tube Driver is very sensitive to tube change. You'll hear significant difference if using 12AX7 as compared to 12AU7 etc.

spend so much on one pedal might as well get an amp, nothing will beat the response of an amp, tried the twin tube mayhem, there are better stuff out there without tubes in them.

I have the Radial Tonebone Plexitube. It's a great distortion, but the tube like others have stated, may just be a gimmick, nothing beats a real tube amp. I just like the sound of it, like say they don't have a giant powerful plexi marshall at a gig, the closest I can get is my Plexitube. :D

Joe

I saw at the buy/sell, the tube driver is like 600-700-....- anyone tried before EHX tube pedals? I heard the black fingers can run 300V into your amp...

no pedal will ever run 300v into amp.

its a guitar pedal, not a step up transformer and it doesnt connect to the amp electrically. The connection is purely audio from pedal to amp.

http://www.epicenteraudio.com/

Fatback on TGP uses that on many of his gear demos. It sounds great and it seems like it has a great 'feel' to it, judging from how the pedal reacts when he plays it.

This looks interesting too: http://www.kingsleyamplifiers.com/jester/jester.html

I was interested in checking this out but I lost interest when I got my Openhuas.

I really don't think its a bad idea if you understand what tube overdrives really offer. Too bad, many pedal makers seem to rely on the tube gimmick instead of trying to milk the unique tone possibilities out of using tubes.

To put the option aside, dismissing it as "tubes should be only in an amp, period" reeks of narrow-minded-ness... or maybe there's truth in that statement. I don't know.

I wish I had the time to go mess with this. I think it will be interesting.

well i honestly believe most pple havent had the chance to try out a proper tube amp. and just hearing all that hype abt tubes and what not, then they search for that so called tube tone without even knowing what the tubes even do in an amp.

to the threadstarter, do u have any idea what tube tone is, not taking into account listening to records of artists who use tube amps, but rather doing the down and dirty of trying a good tube amp.

well i honestly believe most pple havent had the chance to try out a proper tube amp. and just hearing all that hype abt tubes and what not, then they search for that so called tube tone without even knowing what the tubes even do in an amp.

Then again, not everyone can afford the tube amp that gives them the tone they seek. Not everyone can turn up the volume and feel the air being pushed by a thumping speaker. Not everyone can afford going after tube amp after tube amp after tube amp.

Maybe the tube overdrives, the ones that are 'doing it properly', can offer something pretty close, at the fraction of the price, yet allow for bed room level jamming and remain in a pedalboard on a live stage.

But yeah, you got a good point. Wonder what the threadstarter will say.

nah daniel im not saying everyone has to have a tube amp, but if they want a tube sounding pedal, they have gotta try the real deal so they can get something affordable thats as close to the real deal as their budget allows them rite? i use pedals too and seems the only pedal i could find matching up to the amps i tried was the mi audio crunchbox, but then thats my preference.

Back