Truth or Myth

Yup. Listen to Malmsteen's voice. On his earlier record e.g. Rising Force: Birth of the Sun, and later, on the G3 concerts and stuff. Yea one might argue voice break and all, but smoking did affect it.

the truth...yes...
as a vox n smoker for quite a long time...i noe..
smoking affects the throat n hence the voice...
u will gt dehydrated which again affects your voice..
but if u r a smoker n vox,there's 2 things that can make things better...
1)quit smoking...
2)balance out what u eat n drink lots of water...
at the moment i doin the 2nd one...
it works!!!so until i really do quit smoking...
hv to continue doin so... :wink:

true
but to a certain extent..

if you smoke a lot and don't counter it out with taking care of your throat after that (eg. drinking lots of water to re-moisturize your throat), then yes it screws your voice up majorly.
some vocalists smoke a cigarette to clear and dry the mucus or gunk stuck to their throat, before clearing the "dirt" with water after that..
but i wouldn't suggest smoking if you're seriously considering to maintain a good voice because it tears the delicate linings of the vocal cords

i see it is partly true.....
Cobain smoking does effect to a certain extend but his drinking ways also plays apart...
Hmm.....gd voice like Aaron Lewis(Staind) and Brandon Boyd(he is pot smoker too) to name a few.....they are addict smoker but they keep it
balance by drinking alot of plain water.....--->coz water clear toxic in ur body....
but don blame smoking only,the other things tat u put in ur throat too.....beer,junk food,oily stuff......add with the harmful stuff in cigarettes.....

I think 2nd hand smoke's more dangerous to your health as a whole; lungs and such. But I doubt it's as harmful to the throat? Oh well, any professionals to answer this qn?

Inhaling 2nd hand smoke does make your throat feel dry too, like you're dehydrated or something. But that's if you've been in a smoky place for hours la =\

The word is style....
Smoking does alter your voice, but many rock singers smoke the hell out ...., yes, they are smoking chimneys, and FAMOUS!!!!
So why is that??? Simply because smoking gives you sore throat, and if you want to sound like Rod Stewart, then go for it... It makes your voice husky and hoarse....
But if you'll a girl and want to be the next Britney Spears, or a guy and wants to be the next Michael Buble... then drink more lemon honey tea...

Back