Toneport UX2 users please help!

8fingermadness

I'm a noob at recording guitar so please read and help me!

I'm planning to mic up my amp and send it into my UX2 and mix everything in garageband.

Then i want to connect a pair of reference monitors into the UX2, and there are 2 kinds of outputs available: 1 stereo output and 2 analog outs.

So if I want to connect a pair of monitors, do I use the 2 analog outs or issit possible to connect both via one stereo out (ie any specific cables to use?)

Sorry if this is a noob question, I don't even have a pair of monitors yet, I'm still deciding. Thanks!

If you're miking up your amp it's really simple mic goes to mic input on UX2 via XLR cable fire up GearBox and play around with your sound hit record when ready. Anyway I wholeheartedly suggest recording your guitars straight into the Instrument input on the UX2 via TS/quater inch cable, GearBox is versatile, simple to use and some really decent sounds can be gotten if you play around with it.

Connect your monitors to the two analog outs, Output 1 goes to left monitor Output 2 goes right.

My 2 cents on monitor selection? If you're on a tight budget the Yamaha HS-50 and KRK Rockit serie monitors are really decent units. If you have a little more cash to spare you can't go wrong with the Mackie HR824 or maybe even the new Adam monitors

Hope that helped.

Hope that helped.

It certainly did, thanks! I really don't dig GearBox, it sounds really plastic to me. I put the ux2 up for sale cos I was under-utilising it due to my disappointment with gearbox, but I decided to keep it and see how it performs with me micing my amp up. Thanks again!

If youre looking for warmth, you really wont find much of a difference between direct gearbox, or amp --> ux2 --> software

This is because the interface (ux2) always samples digitally, and no matter what signal (analog or not) you feed in, it will still come out a digital one. Personally, I go directly into gearbox, and tweak around my tone there - and I do a second tweak inside my software (audition). So far Ive gotten good results - you can check out the sound from the link in my signature.

Cheers

Back