The last surviving heroes of Soft.com

Nothing against you bro but the supporting member was completely optional, and I'm more than glad to help keep this site alive. It's a strange mindset of the internet age to expect good things to be free, no doubt encouraged by all the biggest websites that provide free services that we take for granted everyday - email, search, social networks, forums, videos... when was the last time you paid for a good online service?

Yup, I know it was to keep things alive, just saying that many were probably put off by it. haha I think it's not only that, it's also the mindset of many S'poreans as well, that they just won't pay for certain things even though it's just a small amount, eg. $0.50 for an ad. I admit to having that mindset in certain cases, well because I am S'porean also!

No man its not expecting something to be free. If you want something to be paid for make it so all the way it stays as such. Instead of implementing an expected payment stance after such a long time. Many would think Soft has turned into a profit organization. Softs been around for a long time man.. and if you've watched it grow you would be proud. But this most recent 'growth' has taken things a turn for the worse. What im curious is if the thing was completely optional, there shouldnt be a discrimination between payers and those who dont wanna pay.. I mean to change the classifieds so drastically? Minimum 4 ads per month? Thats like 1 thread per week man. Who wouldnt be turned off to come back if you stifle their ability to post buy/sell stuff.

Ahh ok understand what you mean now. But oh well, let bygones be bygones, at least it's still not in place anymore! Glad that we're back to the 'normal' buy/sell section

Understand where you're coming from. I suppose it would've been better or less "offensive" if it was called a donation rather than a paid subscription, but we all know (myself guilty) how unlikely we are to donate to something that is already free to use. Haha.

I've been here for many years and I really don't mind supporting the site. being a supporting member isn't expensive at all so just treat it as giving james a good pat on the back for making all this happen.

@theliverevolution - Ain't seen you around for quite a bit also. The last time I saw you, your location was at Hendon Camp. Now, how long ago was that?

Hmm, must have been a year and a half ago. Have been relatively inactive on the forums, just concentrating on my own music and looking out for any other musicians to collaborate with. The friendliness in the forums have been waning and it no longer serves as a draw for me to come here anymore, sadly =[[

Maybe if the buy sell functions stop modifying and stick to the old ways it would draw back alot of people.

What turned many of us was the pay to be a member thingy and probably the classifieds format..

Now you cant even edit your posts after a period of time when you post them. I wonder why

yeah bro, actually i'm rather disappointed with that inability to edit my post. wrote to the boss before and it did not turn out too good.
Did not understand the reason for not being able to do it as well. he just told me to "reply in your ad as sold". Then how about removing my contact info after the deed? Clearing up after a sale is always a good thing to do to prevent your contact info from floating around in cyberspace.

After use toilet must flush mah...

haiz...

still no reply from him....
And to think that i gave him a pat on the back to become a supporting member.

Last edited:
hehe, using 20 bucks to wipe backside after dumping at least can see the stain on the notes and feeling better that the kar cherng is cleaner somewhat

mwahahaha, the developement of the thread somewhat drifted from what TS wanted to see i guess.

Parablue kor kor, whare are you??

Last edited:
Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback. I will take note of these and try to improve as much as possible. But I will need all your help.

Let me reply to your concerns accordingly.

junkiemanxl,
still no reply from him
You asked me how to show that your item is sold right? I answered "post a reply in the thread stating the status or any updates accordingly" right?

The reason why the edit function is disabled is keep the information posted intact. We have cases where fake items were posted but when confronted, the user edit their posts and wiggle their way out.

superpotato_30
While we all would love to have things available free, somehow, someone will have to ultimately fork out the dough. When we implemented the 4-free-ad-and-pay-for-5-and-more, there were some initial resistance. As time went by, many users grown to like the thumbnail that is shown together with the ad and how everything is listed neatly (price, condition, photos, contact).

The running cost went up considerably because of the space needed for the attaching images. But we were able to survive with the $0.50 we collected.

Interesting observation: A lot of the items sold cost more than $50, I personally feel $0.50 as an investment to make a $50 sale is reasonable.

Near future implementation

Since early this year, I have dabbled with the possibility of making SOFT available as Apps on iOS and Android platform. I am trying to optimise the whole site thus moved the Classified Ads section back into the forum. Although we will miss the photos and $0.50, it is something that we will have to do now, for the future.

"google yourself la"

Whenever I come across this kind of reply, I will usually remove them. Everyone have the right to ask,anyone can choose not to answer. BUT, "Every master was once a disaster!" 10 years ago, some of us might have received help from another SOFTie, now that we are somewhat older and wiser, we can help some rookies too.

mockingbird
I am glad that SOFT can still be of service to you, even in the form of Classified section. We move through phases in life where our needs and wants changes. Maybe soon, you might ask "Which piano school should my 5 year old go to?" Hee ... hee...

For those still around

I want to thank you for your continuous support. Though you might not have felt as much love from me, you have to excuse me cos I am a shy/soft person.

Do keep posting your feedback/suggestion in this thread. We are all working towards a better community for the music people. This has been the initial goal and will always be the reason why SOFT is still around.

Thanks for the prompt response James, at least now we all know what's on your mind as well and things do not appear to just be one-sided. Just want to let you know that no matter which forums I post at, SOFT still feels like home, well because it is the first place I starting posting at, and well it's Singapore-based, so it is home after all, isn't it?:)

Hi J.custom

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I am very fortunate to have all the moderators who volunteered to help out in SOFT. Also to PatheinRaindropMoe, who is always helping out too. PatheinRaindropMoe, if we ever bump into each other in real life, please say hi. Someone said I should already know who you are but as always, I am very blur one.

There are no business manager or marketing director, product development or technical support, CEO or interns in SOFT. Everything we see on SOFT is generated by users. I just make sure I pay the hosting company, renew the domain registration, backup the site, update software and reload site after being hacked.

I have met many SOFTies in real life and they tell me how SOFT have been part of their life. This always bring a smile to my heart because that's all I wished for.

Haha actually James, I've seen you 2 years ago at Mr Big! I was together with Scott, Sarah and Clifton, idk whether you remember or not. haha

junkiemanxl, You asked me how to show that your item is sold right? I answered "post a reply in the thread stating the status or any updates accordingly" right?

The reason why the edit function is disabled is keep the information posted intact. We have cases where fake items were posted but when confronted, the user edit their posts and wiggle their way out.

Hi James,

Thank you for your clarification.

If that was the explanation that you have given to me in our PM's, i would have greatly supported your idea and i for one am strictly against the idea of selling fakes and will support your decision.

but..

Please do keep the members here updated on some of the changes that are being made. I for one do not like my personal contacts be left behind when the deal is done. From many previous experiences, even when listing your item as sold and not updating the initial post, buyers do call me 1-2 months even after the deal is closed and asking me if it's still available.

Do keep an open mind about this. There must be a win win situation.

Thanks

Hmm... let me check the MR BIG video. You were at the meet-and-greet with Scott and company?

James i think that your posting replies to the questions asked more often would actually help a great deal and would most definitely clear up things faster before they snowball into a pile of complaints. I appreciate the effort taken to attempt to transform soft into a better and more welcoming environment for aspiring musicians. Do note that our feedback though some may be quite absurd is nevertheless still valuable. I do not have an issue with the paying thingy but many of the older users do. Since the TS started the topic questioning the presence of the older users it was just an attempt by me to answer his question. No offence :)

superpotato_30

I will try to reply as promptly as possible.

It is really quite scary to know that $0.50 is the tipping point. Those who left because of this, please let me know, I will buy you a kopi to welcome you back.

@soft

would be good if we could close our own sales threads when the item is sold / when we decided not to put them up for sale anymore.

Most of us are aware that a site like this needs money to run. I don't think the $0.50 is the problem. Rather, it's the hassle involved to pay that $0.50 that people are not willing to go through. Maybe members can purchase things like coupons. Something that would work like EZ link cards. Once no value just top up again.

Just a few suggestions from me.

Even $0.20, people will walk to the next shopping centre to use the toilet! :p

I think just a simple announcement post when you make such changes will help put our minds at ease. Rather than letting users find out the hard way and then start complaining.

Back