The last surviving heroes of Soft.com

hehe, while google for sure cant have answers to all, its definitely enough for the quality/calibre of some of the questions asked around forums here...

some of it as pointed out by carboxy, are indeed being asked around quite often.

@theliverevolution is true. I've had my share of over-experienced people shooting off the "type google" answer. See, firstly, I've always done my research on google but those answers are usually general answers or just answers from OVERSEAS sources. When one asks about the price on musical instruments here in SOFT, I think they're looking for a more local knowledge. It's the same as when you learn how to handle a weapon in army and want to know more, you read up the notes or the net, but still ask your sect comd to know their own experience with the weapon so that you can at least avoid making unnecessary mistakes.

In short, some people are just stingy on sharing knowledge and experience. But that's not saying the questions are always good, but the whole "how much is this?" question is pretty valid in this forum cause I've been in search of a certain guitar and been to almost all the stores but still don't see it. So where do I ask then if it's not from an online forum aimed at sharing information for Singaporean musicians?

This forum is great for local matters and I would even say essential for the local scene.It's natural for it to be smaller and less active than the global forums, but that's better than the forum being very active with non-music matters.Keep it up, new musicians will come and join, older ones will leave for a while but will occasionally come back.

Simply put, SOFT has lost most of it's appeal (to me, at least). These days I post more at MLP page than here. Reason? Click here and here. I can ask a simple question like that and get 26 replies, be it directly or indirectly.

If I posted those here, what would I get? "Google it yourself leh. This kind of thing also want people to spoonfeed you meh?" And the war of words would go on and on until some moderator comes by and locks/deletes the thread.

Despite my join date showing December 2008, I've been around for the longest time. And I know, for a fact, SOFT wasn't this way back then.

Simply put, SOFT has lost most of it's appeal (to me, at least). These days I post more at MLP page than here. Reason? Click here and here. I can ask a simple question like that and get 26 replies, be it directly or indirectly.

If I posted those here, what would I get? "Google it yourself leh. This kind of thing also want people to spoonfeed you meh?" And the war of words would go on and on until some moderator comes by and locks/deletes the thread.

Despite my join date showing December 2008, I've been around for the longest time. And I know, for a fact, SOFT wasn't this way back then.

Yeah, + 1 to that. its that kind of attitude that really gets to people. The question here is: Do they really want to help or are they just trying to make you feel stupid?

You can google the things you want but if you really wanted to help, at least provide the helpful links for people. it's like giving a beginner a float and ask him to swim one round in the swimming pool. although you think he is going to be fine, nothing is certain right? he might use the float as a surfboard, do stupid stuff, slip, bump his head and end up drowning.

Then you ask yourself, did the float help?

imho, the problem isnt just a simple googling reply, but more of what has the person asking the question, done, to find out that what they wanna know about

Internet has made things easier for some and along the way made us think less.

Buy/Sell.

Buy/Sell.

Observe the market.

Buy/Sell.

Observe the music scene.

Tts about it.

Nothing much here nowadays. No. of little brats on the rise.

Too many formum formatting issues. Too little explainations.

This.
Pity the "Like" function isn't around anymore. Take this as my +1

i do more reading than postings nowadays too..

even the buy / sell has lost much appeal too. maybe its the advert cap but i do miss the listings from hub and pedal-itis. always got good stuff to offer.

Frankly, no buy/sell = Better off not here
There are better ways to get information about gear besides soft.

haiz..

Yeah, + 1 to that. its that kind of attitude that really gets to people. The question here is: Do they really want to help or are they just trying to make you feel stupid?

You can google the things you want but if you really wanted to help, at least provide the helpful links for people. it's like giving a beginner a float and ask him to swim one round in the swimming pool. although you think he is going to be fine, nothing is certain right? he might use the float as a surfboard, do stupid stuff, slip, bump his head and end up drowning.

Then you ask yourself, did the float help?

Thanks buddy. Glad to know someone feels the same way as well.

@theliverevolution - Ain't seen you around for quite a bit also. The last time I saw you, your location was at Hendon Camp. Now, how long ago was that?

Someone mention my name? I'm still here...just not posting actively like I used to do last time. I just go to the classifieds to see any good deals :)

hehe, we can be ashamed of ourselves, only when having some benefits of deals(buying/selling), then we stick around.

No deals, no people liao.

Haizz, theres prolly no heroes left liao, only opportunist and deal hunters.

hehe dont be depressed yeah. Not worth leh, imagine you one person depressed after reading, the many of us still happy happy joy joy come and go.

lugi many many :-D

Oh yes, I totally forgotten the musician market too.

I duno about the part that about "google yourself la"

I usually would answer these newbies nicely, and at the same time tell them there's alot of resources if they search hard enough.

But I'm really sad to see people here JUST for the buy/sell.

Maybe if the buy sell functions stop modifying and stick to the old ways it would draw back alot of people.

What turned many of us was the pay to be a member thingy and probably the classifieds format..

Now you cant even edit your posts after a period of time when you post them. I wonder why

+1 to this. Even though the classifieds are somewhat similar (but not exactly the same) to the old ways, there isn't as much traffic anymore because like what superpotato_30 said, many got turned off by the fact that you had to become a 'supporting member' to post x amount of times in the classifieds. Therefore some probably went off, and never looked back.

Back