The first day you picked up music.

cold_static544

I wonder if any of you guys can recall the first day you picked up an instrument/music,

mine was on national day night actually, remembered playing some strum and sing songs, and learning the C and Em chords haha.

i actually resolved to learn the guitar a few months before i actually learnt it. but don't know why, just happened to pick it up then, and never looked back.

first time i missed the national day parade too,

it was dam addictive, i remembered waking up the next morning and the first thing i did was to pick up the guitar lol.

what bout you guys?

haha. my first experience was my grandmother buying me some yamaha classical guitar form cash converters. i didnt know then, but the neck was super warped like, a banana. there were only 4 strings, and i tuned them so that when i plucked the 1st(3rd) string to the last(6th) string, they formed some kind of tune. i made my first song. cant remember the name. hahah. i still have that guitar. not touched for 5 years. because neck is warped like crazy!

3 years ago...

my dad was about to leave philippines for sg and he let me choose between a game boy game or a guitar.i chose the guitar(acoustic).i didnt try to learn the guitar cuz im too lazy.i just started last year

Ah... having flashback to that day. When i first attended the very first piano lessons, all i thought it was going to be a brisk but it turned out not as i wanted it to be. At the very start my mentor introduced me to the keys and how to read the notes and i did it pretty well up till.... playing the scales from C major to B major. It looked easy at first but when i tired to crossed my fingers, i can't execute the move and i went back home and tried many times. Finally after many practices and the determinations, i did it!!! I was soo happy, right now i'm addicted to piano and can spent hours on it be it performing to myself or practicing or something else.

Last edited:
Well, as for me, the first time I pick up an instrument was when I was in sec 1. I was just lucky that my neighbour threw his accoustic guitar with some missing tuning machine heads. So I replace with a new set that I got it from Swee Lee at Plaza Singapura.

I started picking up guitar when I was in Sec 2 back in 1996..opps I just revealed my age..;)

It was my bro's guitar, a classical one. I taught myself how to read tabs and I can remember the 1st few chords I learnt was Let Her Cry by Hootie & The Blowfish. And from there, got know a lot of chords from playing songs and looking up the chord book :)

I discovered how to play blues guitar when I was in poly, early 2000-01..

I consider the day i first picked up music properly to be the day i started teaching myself music theory. Most people find it a headache learning it on their own, but for me, i finally saw how music comes together. I never started out learning songs, just memorising notes on the fretboard in every key. No regrets though, and definitely worth the pain. :D

Picked the guitar up about 6 to 7 years ago.......man, this takes me back.

My dad bought me a 40$ 3rd hand (if there's even such a thing) classical guitar from Cash Converters that was dirty beyond recognition! Learned all the chord shapes on it and wrote all my songs on that thing.

Sadly, I sold that guitar off.....*sigh

when i was 13, my cousin gave me his beat up acoustic. never paid much attention cause didnt know anything.

till my sister played master of puppets on repeat on my computer. it was like my alarm clock man! so yeah slowly slow look for the fret/note to play on. didnt know anything about chords so i ended up playing all the root notes of the actual power chords. didnt know about palm mute either, so..hit the E string so hard the bridge nearly come out.

i played in my school band as cca during my secondary school years and that was where i picked up the basics of music and that helped greatly in my learning of the guitar when i went to poly. I used to hate trying to understanding scales and reading the beats but looking back every bit of it made how i view music today. music is unbelievable!

hahaha i was like primary 3 or 4 when my sis first bought an acoustic? haa, at first i didnt bother it much until i was pri 5, where i started messing around with it and soon my sis gave me some guitar books. and everything started from there aha

Sec 5 to NS play Dizi, 5 year later pick up composing,keyboard and music arrangement. Operate small PA console and make Hong Bao out of it. Making tiny bit of $$(0.05% out of my total investment) from music arrangement actually. Cannot compare to people here lah.

Last edited:
started with bass in sec 1. before that i couldn't be bothered about music,especially primary school's RECORDER. Always found different methods to escape it.

wow, i was 6 years old when i was sent for piano lessons. It was boring to me. I loathed practicing and i couldn't stand going to piano lessons. I quit at primary 4 or 5.

then I started playing a classical guitar strumming chords. i sucked. but i refound music when i realised i wanted to play the bass guitar real badly. now i own on the bass and i loved music. I play the drums and electric too after that. then i decided that piano lessons actually are fun. i now play the piano too.

now im looking around to find a saxophone to play jazz and swing music. haha music is so fun.

3 years ago, received my first guitar on Christmas. The only thing i did was to use my thumb to play string by string. =S

It was after till a year later did i take out the guitar to start learning from a friend.

1 year of procrastination. :D

I was 7 when I first came across my uncle's classical guitar in Malaysia while on holiday. Never thought I'd ever learn to play it though ....

10 years later at age 17 ... I was given a broken classical guitar which I fixed & used ... then when I went back to Malaysia .. It seemed almost surreal that I could finally play my uncle's guitar which had had me in awe all these years

it was a sunday many years ago. i was hungry and waiting for dinner but it was only 3-4 plus in the afternoon. decided to pick up my dad's old classical guitar and learnt to play G D C and then carried on to learn Leaving On A Jet Plane with the same chords

dinner that day tasted damn good

it was about a year ago,when i told myself. "i wanna know how to play a musical instrument besides a triangle".Thats when i head down to peni to get a guitar and was strumming eversince.:cool:

Back