Teuffel Guitars

Cool, but I don't think it will catch on. Guitarists are usually too conservative and nostalgic of designs from the past.

Cool design, but I bet you It'll be real expensive. I'd rather buy a MusicMan Game changer reflex guitar. More like an art piece than guitar IMO

Cool design, but I bet you It'll be real expensive. I'd rather buy a MusicMan Game changer reflex guitar. More like an art piece than guitar IMO

Haha I never said it was going to be cheap to start with. Just curious why did you compare it with the MusicMan Reflex guitar? I don't see the connection sorry. Is it solely about the price?

Well basically, I'm very impressed. This is an idea that actually became reality. imagine someone designed such a guitar but never attempted to spend that time and effort to fulfill what he intended to do from the start considering the process is long and you'd probably be eating into your savings for a little while. I respect this guy for pulling it off & he has all the right in the world to price his instruments high just to give himself a good pat on the back.

haha I also didn't say that you said that it'll be cheap! Hmm, I think they are similar in concept. The Reflex allows you to have an almost infinite amount of pickup configurations WITHOUT digital modelling (not saying that digital modelling is bad because I personally own a POD and it's pretty damn good!), the windings within the pickups actually do change.

As for the birdfish, it's similar in the sense that you can physically swap out pickups, tone woods etc.

So they both incorporate the design of allowing the user to experience physical changes to the guitar, without buying a new guitar, but overall, me like:)

Hopefully that clears things up.

woah, how do you find out about such guitars? looks almost too expensive to try.

considering the production numbers in a year, I guess it's almost as good as impossible to try one.

@J.Custom
I still don't think it's fair to make such a comparison considering that they are very similar in terms of the overall tone changing idea. The best way to compare 2 guitars is have a shoot out. Even for the price itself, we know which is the more expensive guitar.

Here is how I see it. If I were to compare, a teuffel would be like a durian where the reflex would be like durian seeds packed into a box. The boxed durians are easier to eat and discard whereas for the durian itself, you'd have to go through the entire motion of removing the shell to obtain the seeds. Although less convenient, you get the fun in opening your own durian (at least I find it more rewarding) and the best part is, there is a tendency of getting more seeds (A lot of durian sellers are out to get you!)

Moral of the story, have to try both to understand their merits and flaws. When it comes to guitars, going the textbook route might just make you another victim of good marketing.

@Jerry: Wah I love your analogy man! HAHA. But just saying, wouldn't durian seeds meant that they've already been eaten? hehe. Alright but I'm sure we get what you mean.

Yup I agree with how good marketing is very essential in every guitar company. Without good marketing, players out there may not even know your existence as a company since there are SOO many companies making guitars nowadays.

+1 to relinquish69's durian comment. you just made me want to go out and get me some.

not teuffel, but durians :p

one of the teuffel guitars in action:

would love to have it and play some sludge on it, seems awesome with those feedback buttons. but if I ever get it, I won't play it...it would just make me be so concerned about scratching or leaving a mark on it more than anything else.

Last edited:
Cool stuff Daniel.
Reminds me of Steinberger guitars. Does it use similar technology in the headless design?

teuffels only catch on to a very small crowd. those who buy it, love it. otherwise, most don't find any use of having circuit breaker functions and old-school feedback knobs on their guitars.
had a chance to meet Teuffel in Belgium last year. Pretty cool guy, lots of ideas, but then again, very niche market.

Guitars were a sight to behold. the birdfish especially. The niwa is more mainstream..
but considering the number of years he's been in the business, his newer models are not really catching on...

I'm liking the switches on those guitars. now the question is, is it easy to make a circuit that could deliver the same functions? Don't you guys have this sudden urge to just go full out Cobain style and feedback the crap outta the guitar sometimes?

the hum switch and the kill switch can be improvised in other ways

hum switch can be done by using any sort on/off switch to lift the ground connection

kill switch just need to ground the hot/positive connection

instead of switch for the hum, to get the bang effect with finger, can be substitute with contact mic

this kinda, can be gotten for $1 plus per piece from sim lim tower

1-5.jpg

the feedback part is the one that might need some circuit to make it get the screeching sound. The switching on and off part should be easier

I would love to try those guitars out only because they look tough to play / handle. will never know if we never try. One guitar that surprised me in terms of playability was a Parker Fly. the price was however, not healthy for me.

Really those guitar designs does nothing for me. Uhmm, seems like he's designing for the sake of designing, aesthetics, looks etc. Dosen't seem to be trying to create a more functional, better sounding guitar. Notice that not a single link to any sound samples in his site or any playing demos. Whereas guitars like the parkerfly, steinberger were created designed to improve aspects of playability, durability, portability (steinberger). His site products page look more like a site designed for boutique furniture.

Intersting quote from his site: If you asked me about my most formative experience in guitar making, I’d have to say it was my study of industrial design from 1992 until 1996.

Check out the handle by xox audiotools for one of the more recent cool designs, designed with actual guitar players in mind
handle_front.jpg

Check out the handle by xox audiotools for one of the more recent cool designs, designed with actual guitar players in mind
handle_front.jpg

i use an XOX and it does have the player in mind. incredibly light! and knobs all in the right place.. Been my main guitar for a while now. and still loving it every bit! did i mention it sounds great too! :)

Back