Soundproofing: Room within a Room

jeremyspk

Hi guys,
I'm planning to build a soundproof room using the decoupling concept (room in a room).
Any one knows if the below materials are sold in SG?
- Green glue
- Dampening sheet of any kind (bitumen, vinyl, whatever..)
- Resilient clips

If anyone has any information, please also paste the per-square-metres price of the material.

If anyone has any tips or recommendations (contractor, experts, ppl-who-may-be-interested, etc),
please post also :D
10q!!

How big is your room currently? Is it an apartment or house? What are you using the soundproofed room for?

12.1 square metres, HDB, trying to deal with structural noise (it's a beetch, srsly.)
Using soundproof for tracking, post-production work and most importantly, sleep.

Thanks Soft :) but i'm not doing that coz I can't sleep in that lol.

I'll probably be doing decoupling.

Now it's pricing... hais..

Checked out the only company with Green Glue in SG, no stock. Can get next week? Cannot.
Why everything that deals with music and sound suck so bad in singapore?

Jeremy,

12.1 m2 is extremely small. We're talking about a room with dimensions of roughly 3.4m x 3.4m (10ft x 10ft)

To effectively soundproof a room will require giving up a fair amount of floorspace to allow for a sufficient enough air gap in between the inner and outer leaves of the walls. Not only on the vertical sidewalls but also the floor and ceiling.

Say 4" airgap (which is the bare minimum) plus another 2" for the drywall you'll be losing rought 1ft or available floorspace in all directions. Factor in your gear and furniture, you won't be left with much space to work in, let alone sleep.

You might want to consider what your REAL isolation requirements are. Do you need to absolutely block out all external noises? Because it is really impractical to isolate any structure which sits above ground level, without involving MASSIVE cost.

Another thing you should NOT overlook is safety. Never sleep in a soundproof room, because in a case of a fire, you may be blissfully sleeping inside while the alarm goes off. Any consultant worth their salt will consider the safety and well being of their client FIRST.

Cheers

Back