Tips/info/contacts for soundproofing!!!!

haha. yea my dad gonna get a carpenter. but my friend say they quote around 1k and above lei. the $400 one... where to get? contacts? hmm. but i kinda found foam on soft . if i buy altogether and DIY. it will be less than $1000. ill have a platform and those sound absorbing foams.

Anyway, frummer, u were at the drum exchange right? u melayu? haha. look chinese talk like malay! hahahaha. wasnt there la. saw the video of u playing.

sorry for hijacking thread, but im about to treat my bedroom to make it a good place for mixing and treating my living room to use as a tracking room. seeing so many pros in here, was wondering if u guys could help me out. so here goes my first wave of questions.

My budget can go up to 1.5k but i wan to try to bring it to as low as possible, possibly below 1k. But i dunno how much do acoustic treatment stuff go for. if not possible, i will pay for the extra. and im looking to diy everything.

How much should i treat the tracking room? i dun wan to make the tracking room very dead. I like some life in it but yet suitable for recording.

im refering to this video on how to diy panels, apparently they are good bass traps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw
where can i get the rockwool or owens corning 703(what is this btw?)?
where can i buy pieces of wood where they can cut those dimensions for u?

Where can i also get very good diffusing carpets that are cheap?

im sorry i have to bring this thread up again. but i dun wanna start a new one.
Now that my o levels is sorta over, i need to find a platform for drums and absorption sponge.

Size is a HDB room.

And if u sound proof part of the room, is it enough to cut alot of noise? cause if sound proof whole room very stuffy..

Now that my o levels is sorta over, i need to find a platform for drums and absorption sponge.

Size is a HDB room.

And if u sound proof part of the room, is it enough to cut alot of noise? cause if sound proof whole room very stuffy..
Hi-5! O levels ended for me too!

I don't mean to 'extra' in this thread but I also plan to soundproof my room too. I also live in HDB, top floor, at the corner of the building. So I also need the advice from here :D

Anw, my father tells me he's planning to hire an acoustics engineer person and simply tell him 'make sure minimal sound goes out of this room' and just see how much he quote.

How much will this cost?

My favourite article on this subject:

How to Soundproof an Apartment to Muffle Your Wife's Drumming

NEW YORK -- Last year, when my wife and I had to beg permission from our co-op board in Jackson Heights, Queens, to swap our one-bedroom apartment for a two-bedroom unit, only one thing stood between us and our dream of getting our one-year-old son into his own room.

Noise.

My wife is a professional percussionist. After three years of hearing her play marimba, djembe and conga in our living room -- and hearing me fumble around on our upright piano -- our neighbors wanted assurances that we would keep things quiet in our new home.

One resident, a kindly old man who had always greeted us warmly in the hall, told us that he and his wife would never have voted us into the building in the first place if they'd known how loud we would be. Others told us we had to guarantee their peace and quiet.

Determined to be good neighbors and to get that extra room, we volunteered to do some soundproofing. That's when things got complicated.

The measures that my wife and I took -- spending thousands of dollars (and countless hours) on consultants, contractors, materials and gadgets in order to turn our new dining room into a professional-caliber music studio -- might go beyond the needs of many people.

But the lessons we learned would benefit anyone who entertains thoughts of soundproofing their home.

Noise problems are typically complex and multifaceted, and as our acoustic consultant told us, sound is like water: block it from traveling along one path, and it will simply find another.

To make matters worse, applying almost any soundproofing measure is harder in practice than it seems in theory.

Soundproofing materials can be difficult to work with, contractors aren't always familiar with them, and the quirks of existing construction can derail even the best-laid plans.

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2007/06/soundproofing
http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2007/06/soundproofing

Size is a HDB room.

To prevent echoes, those thick velvet like curtains (like those in cinemas) will do a pretty good job, according to Nigel from DrumResources. Also it will cut down bit of sound from traveling. However sound go get out especially through the door and windows. U might want to consider that area as well.

Anyway, sound travel up down left right. To dampen the sound from traveling below, I believe a raised platform covered with thick carpets will do a neat job. To dampen sound from travelling elsewhere, U can also consider getting drumshields (for eg, Clearsonic panels) coupled with fiber-glass board like the Clearsonic Sorber.

My church uses the drumshields and Sorber, I can say Sorber does a pretty good job in well, absorbing the sound. But they do not come that cheap. U can check out the prices or any sound proofing tip from Nigel (Drum Resources)

yea those glass shields cost a bomb. hahaha. So whats the best way for
CUTTING OUT SOUND.

1)putting drapes
2)absorption sponge
3)Rockwool
4)double glazed windows/doors

hmm thanks. i looked through the website. think abit pricey man.
http://personal.oatmealandcoffee.com/blog/static.php?page=HowToBuildADrumRiser

I plan to do that platform.. yea looks tedious but i think its good.

but MUST it be plywood?

correct me.... but g.k states that plywood is strong without the high density of common wood... so a ply of soft wood reduces vibrations vibrating through it produces by the drum kit muffing it somewhat.... further more, underneath the plywood would have some kind of foam to reduce the vibrations further...

hdb has concrete flooring, so kinda complicates matter... least ur neighbours complain of vibrating ceiling lamps or the sheer 'headache' from the bass drums...

info from observing the 'stage' in some jamming studios and some without it

Hi all experts here, im be coming back to Singapore early next year and will have a place of my own. Will definately get a drumset and will of cos wan to soundproof the room at the cheapest price.

Anyway, any softies here have already soundproof their rooms or at least a little. Care to share and take pics of wat u did and how much you spend? Lets share here. :)

Cheers!!

hey guys. Im on my way to my soundproofing project. and i will update this thread with pictures and information. But ill only be moving in early next month. renovations start 11th january. But i have to say that it wont be fully soundproofed because of a few factors
1)Im on the highest floor so i only worry much about the sound travelling downwards
2)Areas that im not soundproofing. Which are actually the two walls. Why? Because the next HDB block is pretty darn far away from my block. so will not hear that much.
3)Its not exactly fully a studio.
My dad need to have his study table. my domestic helper needs her own cupboard. A sofa bed for my grandma to sleep.
So imagine if im gonna sponge the room, its gonna be so much smaller. and i cant place objects against the wall. yup.
4)SOOOO, im sponging the top part and drapes the bottom part. now i must say it may not be to your liking because for me im trying to balance out the acoustics. as i did research, doing alot of sponging makes the sound feel dead. so im still trying to find Drapes.(ANY CONTACTS GUYS?)
5)As for sound travelling downwards. ive already got my malaysian contractor to build a platform. roughly around queen size bed size. yeap. Sold wood and ill stuff some of my soundproof sponge inside the platform itself. cost is around $800.

So, just expect drapes,soundproofing sponge and platform.
Of course the instruments!

Digged out this old thread and 'reviving' it.

Well, basically, i found a super 'budget' option ... apart from the sponge foam that sells at local music store or egg crates that ppl use (which many have testified that its not much use...)

The following is not much of use either (i'm sure the pros will opine on this) but psychologically ... or even literally, i thought that it does cut out the high frequency 'bounce' off the hard wall. Found it more effective with 2 of them pasted together before applied on the wall. Found carpets and curtains are pretty expensive and this work out to be pretty decent alternative.

As this isn't a soundproof or proper professional acoustic materials, feel free to comment or utilise the idea ... no copyright needed! :D

p.s. Its definitely more appealing to the eyes rather than the brown egg-crates that some have been seen using. :)

Cost: $1 each
Where to buy: PM me if interested. Obviously, i'm not selling it but i don't want to publicly 'advertise' either. :D

Dimension is abt 30cm x 30cm
57946d83.jpg

Thickness is abt half the thickness of iPhone4 with case
2191d3e4.jpg

Back