Some Questions :)

pedialite

Hey all! I'm a guitar player, been playing for awhile. Decided to start saving/working for a Bass guitar now. Not really sure which to get. Im trying to decide between a :

Epiphone Goth ThunderBird. (Damn sexy, but seems to be built for metal)
Fender Precision.
Fender P-special. (Most "General" bass guitar out of them all?)
Fender Jazz. (I don't think it'll the music I will want play?)
MM StingRay.

Another thing is i'm not really sure about the pricing for Fender's basses. So many different types. American this and that. :X Just playing at home for fun nothing serious. Play anything from Metal (melodeath,metalcore) to Punk (NOFX rancid, maybe some hxc) to Funk (Flea!!!). Intending play with finger/pick and slap.

And please recommend some practice amps to go with the bass too! 15w to 20w should be fine..

Thanks peoplez

if youre just a recreational player you could go for an ibanez, OLP (stingray design) or squier (fender design) these should be pretty good for the price

don't read too much into the names, they are nothing more than names. IMHO the jazz bass is probably the most versatile in your list. it's not limited to jazz. here are some rockers who use the jbass, and it may surprise many but this is what i found

John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin
Tim Commerford of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave
Geddy Lee of Rush
Chris Wolstenholme of Muse
Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Les Claypool of Primus
Matt Freeman of Rancid
Chi Cheng of Deftones
Mark Hoppus of Blink-182
Adam Clayton of U2

the jazz bass has a trademark growl that i love. but i use them so i'm biased.

every bass sounds different, try as many as you can and pick your favourite - that's half the fun

on amps, some people believe that amps below 30w are physically not possible of reproducing sufficient low end. get sth between 20-35w minimum, but it also depends on your preference

Last edited:
I'd say pick a good amp and a stingray. Or a jazz... Seriously, jazz basses can do almost anything. Precision doing funk don't do it for me.

Of course they can. I just don't like how they sound. It's a personal thing.

The link's dead by the way.

Last edited:
Back