Singing in Key

if anyone wants me to teach or write about learning basic note intervals and catching tunes using Solfege, I can do that. :) but I'm not sure if you all want it, if you do please PM me. :D

the problem with many trying to start learning to sing is that you all pick the wrong songs. We are all born with different genetic vocal range, so we can't change that. Majority of guys are actually unable to sing real highs like all those pop and rock songs go. Girls have less of a problem, as their voice don't change that much.

For males, your problem is not really tone-deathness but actually vocal maturity that might sometimes reduce your range to the extent that you can't sing a normal melody intune. What you all need is some basic vocal training and learning to start with the basics of pitching, which is what I'd write about if y'all PM me.

Just give me a tip and I'd write a little about it, hope it will help. :)

thanks carina and gjkung, for the contribution to this thread.

a writeup would be good, but not as beneficial i'd think. how about an audio instruction? plus a thread to explain the steps, dos and don'ts etc.

that'd be nice. and truly effective.

all that 'learning basic note intervals and catching tunes using Solfege'...
1. it's head knowledge. only.
2. the musically uneducated will go 'huh'??

Tany: yeah tone does matter, it's about producing what you have in your head, tone affects your pitch, not in full tones but in slightly nuances of sharps or flats.

Turbo: I'd do an audio instruction if I can, though it's kinda hard cuz it's pretty demanding to be confident of your own voice on a recording. roflmao

And solfege is actually developed for people with no music background. I myself happens to be on with out any music background at all. I learnt everything by ear from the start of sec1 and slowly learnt basic theory and now solfege. It's a great technique I still use for all my songs.

I guess solfege is good for those who want to know more about music theory. Solfege does assist singers to better understand what's on the music score. In actual fact, i know a lot of singers who do not know how to read solfege, but still releasing albums. Solfege will of course value-add skills to the singer, but not really an essential, depending on what skills you would like to master.

However, for those who keen to learn the practicality of singing, it is more of an understanding of your vocal instrument and the proper usage of it to reach different tune/note and positioning. The basic knowledge will be understanding of your vocal instrument, how it works (dun worry, no biology lesson). Once you understand, there comes the correct breathing techniques. After that will be understanding of how your diaphragm helps in adding you the vocal power. Then, will be emotions, feelings and understanding of the song that you are singing. That will also include various singing techniques. And finally facial expression and stage presentation. All put into use for only for 5 mins (1 song) of a performance.

For those who are keen to know more about my lessons, do drop me an email.

Cheers.

Carina (liqing)

Learning about how pitch is produced with your body is what this whole post is about. So I do not understand what's wrong with my direction. Solfege was just a side point I brought up, so I can know if anyone wants to learn it and thus I can teach them to pitch using solfege in another post.

And about Solfege, I did not say it's a must. It's a good skill I used, that made pitching less like groping in the dark. I feel it's better for pitching exercises cuz you can pick whichever note you're comfortable with and go on from there, instead of singing covers which you may not be able to reach if you're not born with the higher ranges.

And all singers good enough to release an album knows solfege, at least subconsciously. You know solfege is you can sing a diatonic scale properly. Solfege is not a skill on it's on, it's just how you apply common musical sense. It's a concept, not a fixed method of pitching.

I don't know why you're correcting me in points I did not state.

Guys, right me if I've wronged. But I feel that this forum should be about what can be learnt in the forums. What you are willing to write and share here, and what people can understand from it. If you're going to advertise anything about your lessons that you cannot share in a forum cuz you're professional, then please keep your advertising to your own post, a PM or your signature.

This post is strictly for sharing, teach us, don't tell us what to learn without teaching. Cuz what Carina wrote ungenerously pointed towards personal or professional attention.

Solfege is basically singing in Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So-La-Ti-Do. you make a certain key the "Do" and you sing up from that, using a single key to get the rest of the notes, very effective in transposition. I guess I need to write another post on this. :D

Yes, this post is for pp to exchange views and discuss about them. I believe through these discussions, many people will pick up knowledge from here and there and benefit from it. We are all here to share. Aren't we?

Back