show the love

ixora05

okay corny title but I'm sleepy. heh. starting this thread because I was inspired by the pep talk drummerbuah, mel80, and wired gave me on another thread. i wanted to forget about starting drumming before i even started and they gave me a good pep talk/lecture.
this might sound like a silly idea but shout out how much you love your music y'all! why are we really in this? spending our time and money and pourin our lives into this?
me, it's something i've wanted to do since i was a little kid and using chopsticks to bang on the table and getting scolded by my parents. what about the rest of you?

because as a kid..i never could go to sleep witout my cartoon tape being played to me...it would make me feel so happy and take my mind off things and just let me let go...i guess i wanna make music one day..to make ppl enjoy it..for them to come together and groove to it..forget whatever problems their having, whatever nightmares they have to face later in the day..to just smile..have a good time...and let go...music can inspire alot of feelings in ppl..it can reach out to those who feel they have noone there for them..they hang on to every word we make every sound we play and it goes over in their heads over n over again...if only you could put a smile on their face and tell them they aint alone...it would be worth while...

hmm...actually for myself...i also dunno why i started palying guitar...although i have been listening to metal musics since like sec 2...but its really been until sec 4 den i take up the guitar...maybe sometimes doing somethings really doesnt need a reason...
but whatever it is..im glad tt i start playing guitar and i wun ever stop playing it until the day i cant hold a guitar anymore...

i got into music when i was four, living in west grand boulevard in michigan. i saw the detroit string quartet play and that night i told my mom i wanted to learn the violin. so i've studied the violin since. i studied piano for a while too. i picked up the guitar in sec 3 in singapore because all the cool kids played it. i realized it'd never make me cool, but by then i was already fascinated with how someone managed to come up with a string instrument that you can play chords on over a fretboard, because you don't really do that with the violin. i played jazz guitar and indonesian gamelan music, and studied native inuit and native american music, and indian sitar and tabla music for a while when i was in university and picked up some drumming too (admittedly i'm not REALLY good but i can hold my own on simpler songs). i drum in an open position even though i'm a right-hander.

so yeah. i love music. classical, rock, alternative, classic rock, metal, hardcore and all its variants, pop, emo, jazz, blues, funk, hip hop, r&b, rap, opera, pretty much everything except country which tends to annoy me, and techno, which generally annoys me even more than country music does.

i make complex drum parts in my head by grinding my teeth to the rhythm. weird huh? i need to stop grinding my teeth because i do this so often it's mostly subconscious now.

i love music. <3

i honestly think i'd go crazy without it.

well said dark knight, same as him, i hope music ccan inspire or make people feel better.

for me it started out when i am singing to the tunes of "count on me singapore" and those old national day songs at home everyday.

and why im i really into this? music helps me alot and also, i dont want to die with regrets.

nice ones guys : ) think I shall like compile this thread if there are enough responses. it can be like a book of inspiration for musicians.

whoa okay. sweeet :)

music, in essence, is everything. rhythm the foundation of music starts the moment you take your first breath. everyone's heartbeat, the patter of the drizzle, the sound of the leaves, people talking and walking in a crowded place - that's music to me. and i love music and i want to make music because i want to be part of the greater nature that maybe i could never be.

haha you know the singaporean woman. dunno whats her name. she did this music piece 3min and sth (i cant remember damn it ) and totally played nothing at all. beautiful lah ><

This may sound insane but yet it happens for most love story...

It was love at first sight... my friend just brought his guitar to sch one day and I borrowed it imitating those mtv rock star with it and I just feel in love with the guitar...

Everytime I practise it rekindle a kind of warmth... I guess this is the fate of a lover... haha...

NewGuy said:
This may sound insane but yet it happens for most love story...

It was love at first sight... my friend just brought his guitar to sch one day and I borrowed it imitating those mtv rock star with it and I just feel in love with the guitar...

Everytime I practise it rekindle a kind of warmth... I guess this is the fate of a lover... haha...

marry her man...

marry your guitar? well my drumkit is going to be my new boyfriend. better than a real guy because it will do what I want to, when I want to, I can muffle it when I want to, I can beat it up when I wanna (you get the idea). so marrying a guitar might be a good idea.

unwell14 said:
haha you know the singaporean woman. dunno whats her name. she did this music piece 3min and sth (i cant remember damn it ) and totally played nothing at all. beautiful lah ><

Mind sharing why you think it's beautiful?
If you paid money to attend the show would you still think it's beautiful? Or would you think it's a rip-off?

well, i didnt pay money to watch it actually it was on a video. she was at a void deck, on her little piano. sitting very still for 3++ minutes. and at first i was confused, but her afterthoughts made the piece really beautiful.

she said that the piece was to allow people to not only appreciate music, but the surrounding sound made by nature and man, and that sometimes in our rush we forget to appreciate the surroundings, and yeah.. it made me understand the piece a little better.

agreed :) like the piece by John Cage where he did something similar, sitting in front of the piano and not playing for the duration of the piece. and I've started compiling the little book of inspiration. do post more! and post any other stuff you want included that you think would inspire musicians.

Back