Share Your Interesting Gear Finds In and Out of Singapore Here!

edgie

It could be a cheap guitar part or expensive items which you think has great bang-for-buck value and write a bit about it why you think so. I'll start now:

1. Raw Vintage Springs - tried it on my Strat with a floating trem and it's one of the best mods that whammy bar users can do to their strat. Pulling up(if you set the trem high) or diving down is very smooth with this springs and also for some reason it adds a bit more bass to the strat tone fattening it up.

2. Evil Robot amp - just tried one at Ebenex although not extensively but it's a very touch-responsive boutique amp that doesn't cost a kidney. It sells for 1.6k usd and Ebenex sells it for 2.2k which to me is a very good price if you factor in shipping and tax.

3. Couch straps - Very comfortable straps coupled with cool subtle aesthetics also available at Ebenex. I have the Racer X red and black and the strap ends for the guitar strap buttons seem to hold very securely on them. Nice straps should be seen, not heard.

4. THD Bivalve - There's one more unit left at TYMC for only 1k sgd(actually it's 999sgd to be exact: )). I've had a Flexi for four years and not once did it gave me problems so I trust THD's quality and as cliched as it may sound, they're built like tanks. The No-biasing-required feature is one of its best strenghts. Another fact is the Bivalve reacts more to tube replacements than the Flexi so they really are a good amp to learn about tubes and their properties.

5. Amp Tweaker Tight Metal - Still waiting for that Toneczar Openhaus you ordered when you were still a kid?(Ok, i'm just exaggerating, go easy on me, haha). I have a friend back home in the Philippines where they did a blind test of hi gain pedals and overdrives through different guitars and different amps and this one came out on top among others like the aforementioned Openhaus, Wampler Recto, Okko Diablo, etc due to its amp-friendliness, detail, and of course huge tone. It's available at Davis for only 260sgd I think. I'm not a metal guy, but 30 metalheads in one room can't be wrong.: p

6. Bareknuckle Pickups - All my 3 guitars of different types(strat, Esquire, LP-type PRS) have BKP's and not once did I regret the purchase. They have always sounded very full and even the single coils are relatively-quite without being noiseless pickups.

7. Faber LP parts - Those guys who asked me to buy for them and some of my LP-brandishing friends are mighty impressed with these under-the-radar gems. Some even prefer them to Tonepros and they cost under a 100 bucks.

Managed to snag a Ibanez Prestige RG1527 from a fellow Pinoy softie for a reasonable price.

Others items considered good buys are Pearl Forum kit, and some stomp boxes.

1. My Nocaster Relic which I got from GC. Orgasmic tele-goodness.

2. A VOX V810 Valve-tone, also from GC. Works exceptionally well when used to push a good tube amp.

3. A Marshall Guv'Nor MK I. Traded my Krank Distortus Maximus in for it(omg I know!). Sits king above my other pedals.

8. Malnoski Guitars - My favorite find which I hope to have someday. Found out about this guitars while visiting Destroyallguitars.com. For a little under the price of Fender AVRI's, you get a boutique guitar that's totally handmade by just one man and no CNC's. The aesthetics are very unique and drop dead gorgeous and as I've told a friend, these are probably the only guitars that your girlfriend/wife will allow near their Kate Spade bags. I'd say the construction design are very cutting edge without looking dorky. Pete Malinoski winds his own pickups(no counters and with a fishing rod no less!) which now comes with their own wooden covers to make the pickup height adjustable and uses unconventional wood materials for electric guitars like Spanish cedar, Cherry, Padauk, Bocotte, etc. These guitars are for those who want to explore beyond the usual Strat, Tele, LP, and PRS realm.

All models also come with a piezo pickup under the Wilkinson bridge so you also get some pseudo-acoustic tones. Prices start at 2k usd. Here is his own site: http://www.petermalinoskiart.com/frames/main_frame.html

9. Himmelstrutz pedals - What can I say but they're the best drive pedals that I've had. Crisp detail, huge tone that doesn't fizzle under high gain, and compact. They can also be stand-alone pedals meaning you don't have to stack with other pedals to get a good sound out of them. If you have to start, go for the Nord as it also has a built-in awesome boost that now is selectable for pre and post distortion. Joakim's pedals ended my years of search for the right pedal.

Not cheap(now about 500sgd at Sound Alchemy is what I heard from a friend) but one fact is, Singapore is one of the best places to buy them alongside the dealer in US, Maken' Music. In Europe and South America, they would have to pay the equivalent of at least 700sgd just to have them. Kudos to the SA crew for pricing it right.

10. Klotz La Grange cables - medium-priced cables that doesn't darken the tone and very reliable. I've tried the expensive Evidence Audio Lyric before but I got bummed because they crackle when you move around the stage, they sound hi-fi(some will like this specially the recording guys) and they're very stiff that they get tangled in a really very bad and irreversible way. I haven't tried the Lava and other more expensive stuff but IMHO, the Klotz did what a guitar cable is suppose to do.

11. Strymon Timeline - I haven't tried but had the Strymon El Capistan and that tells a lot about the geniuses in that company. The 625sgd price tag at SV is reasonable for a very hi tech delay pedal.

That's it for now.: )

I tend to buy more stuff from TYMC than any other music store since they have what I mostly want.: )

I'm not sure what your point is. Have you read my two posts fully?

It's a general enthusiastic approval for the business that TYMC does.

Why yes, I have read your posts, both of them, and am greatly appreciative of your in-depth sharing.

minth vox ac30 cc1 for 700
ceriatone 2550 (marshall jubillee clone) for 1000
BKP for a cheaper price than usual
a shop that sells gibson ri's cheaper that the other shops
warehouse price for tc electronics
TYMC great guys with great deals

This thread is becoming a "Which is your favourite guitar shop" thread. Let's stick to the topic shall we?

For the rare & vintage stuff, Guitar Connection would be the best place to be. However, the stuff I want are hardly available in Singapore. Jackson USA, Charvel etc. Only because there is hardly a market here anyway.

I'm still waiting for something like that to come by :( .

I think i'm gonna quit electric elixirs strings, though i love the long durability tanking my corrosive hands, i just cannot seem to bend well on the 10s. Or maybe my fingers are just weak. I tried and tried and tried but i just cannot get them to the right pitch.

And the conventional 10s work fine and are less stiff..
Ah dilemma.
And fingers that never have hardened skin.

Dr Duck Ax Wax: Makes your strings last forever. I used to change strings every week or 2 even though I wipe them down with a clean cloth. Strings can last me about 2-3 months now without it getting rusty with the Ax Wax. Also able to clean matt guitars without causing them to go shiny.

+1 to Dr. Ducks. Works so well with strings and guitar bodies and I like it's lemon scent too.: )

@Tongski: Where did you find the great price for TC electronics?

Dr Duck Ax Wax:
Where do you get it? I usually just apply a coat of fast frets before and after I play, also helps to preserve string life.

@edgie: Team 108 is the shop you're looking for:) they're the official dealer for TC stuff

My best deal: a 'spoilt' DL4 for $20, which worked once I bought a One-spot L6 converter:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back