S.O.F.T building

you do realise that in singapore, property is expensive.
so if you intend to have your own shop/building, it's gonna cost like a million(rough average) and that excludes the monthly maintenance.

and if you intend to rent a place, it's gonna be a few thousands a month, depending on your location.

so where are we gonna get the money :confused:

Not only rent, you need people to run the place, pay utilities etc. Some shops are barely able to survive, let alone a Soft building.

hahha teleplayer, no offence eh, but u need to think abit more deeply, in the real world. u're in the adult world already. u have to start thinking more in depth already. u're still young, so its okay. u might not understand how things work in the world, but u can always learn.

I don't know if this is the correct section.. :) I thought of this... Like there are hokkien association etc. why can't there be a s.o.f.t building for musicians from s'pore to go there and mix around. I know this needs money... but this is just my idea.. and SOFT can also conduct classes to teach instruments there. it's more prominent right! Haha. and alot of people here can teach voluntarily right? Haha. what you guys think about it?

HAHAHHAHAHAH this will NEVER happen , at least not in the next 20 years.

on the other hand, i wouldnt really discount the time frame (20 years is quite realistic actually) but rest assured it will not happen anytime soon.

Dude, in future please post threads with more thought. You come off to me as someone who simply posts just for the sake of posting, you just wanna up your post count is it?

Ized: Nope.

What made me thought of this is there are a lot of associations out there like HAS: Harmonica Aficionados Society...

The set-up of this association:

"Setting up of HAS

In 1995, some harmonica enthusiasts proposed to setup Harmonica Aficionados Contact Center. They organized monthly meeting and publish newsletter and printed publications for internal circulation.

Harmonica Aficionados Society was born on 20 March 1996, after more than 10 months of preparation and joint effort from the Executive Committee Members. Since then, HAS started to actively organized numerous activities.

In 1998, under the National Arts Council Arts Housing Scheme, HAS was allocated our current home at 21-B Smith Street, Singapore 058935. It is along the stretch of food street at Chinatown area."

Source:http://www.harmonica.org.sg/

Last edited:
From NAC website:

"Arts Housing Scheme
The Arts Housing Scheme was implemented in 1985 to provide affordable spaces to arts groups and artists. Its main purpose is to give arts groups and artists a home within which they can develop their activities and thereby contribute to an active Singapore arts scene.

Arts Housing Tenants
Arts groups applying for the scheme are selected based on a good track record, managerial strength, artistic standard, level of activity, growth potential, their need for housing, merit of planned activities and commitment to organizational and artistic development.

Under the Scheme, rental charges by the Singapore Land Authority are heavily subsidized by NAC. Utilities and maintenance costs are borne by the tenants.

Arts Housing Properties
There are mainly two types of arts housing properties:
Single-tenanted building which houses a single arts group
Multi-tenanted property which houses several arts groups and artists of the same or different art forms
A third type of arts housing involves co-locating an arts group with non-arts tenants in a single complex.

Many properties identified for use under this Scheme are pre-war or old buildings such as disused warehouses and old shophouses. The use of such buildings to house arts groups provides an important impetus for artistic creativity. The arts have also helped revitalise and give added value to new developments in forgotten areas. Through strategic site planning, three arts belts of several arts housing properties have been established at Waterloo Street, Chinatown and Little India. We work closely with the Urban Redevelopment Authority to identify suitable buildings for arts use.

To date, over 90 arts organisations and artists (67 arts organisations and 29 artists) are housed in 20 buildings, 20 units of shophouses and 2 co-located facilities in Marine Parade (Marine Parade Community Building) and Ghim Moh (Ulu Pandan Community Building).

For information on the various arts belts and housing:
Waterloo Street Arts Belt
Chinatown Arts Belt
Little India Arts Belt
Other Arts Housing
Arts by the River
At present, we have no vacancies in our Arts Housing premises. However, you may register your interest with us using the e-form. Please click here. We will inform you once premises are available."

Source:http://www.nac.gov.sg/fac/fac03.asp

Last edited:
Firstly, I like murtabak.

The texture when you chew, the warm crispy prata flour with crunchy, juicy onions and ground beef, is heavenly.

Sluurrrrppp!!!! :mrgreen:

Secondly, from the vibe I got since the day I registered in this forum, is that James is indeed a one-man show. At most, he's assisted by his wifey, and the odd Softie(s) for a few events here and there. Correct me, if I am wrong.

For your idea, teleplayer, to work, is simply to involve more than a few, committed people who are willing to dedicate their time to all this. Definitely not your run-of-the-mill forum moderators who sometimes I think are just here for the mindless chatter.

As with most situations that require some funding, sponsorship is the easiest way to go. That said, somebody has to seek a business who are willing to commit in the long run, and in turn its financial commitment becomes sort of an advertisement for its products or services. So, you have to go the usual, logical route of preparing a proposal to attract their sponsorship.

So, it has to run like a business.

What differentiates, for example, groups like Harmonica Aficionados Society, and Soft is the cause and nature. HAS, is simply about, well, harmonicas.

Soft, on the other hand, is about local music, which when you think about it, encompasses a really broad spectrum of different elements. Just look at the various genres of music being played here, and the instruments, performance style, composition etc. It can be mind-boggling. So, the chance that there will be conflicts on interests internally, is much higher and may prevent smooth running of this so-called Soft Local Music Association. Just look at the recent and perpetual squabbles among Softies here, over the slightest petty issue.

I can actually go on and on till the cows come home, take their baths, moisturize their skin, say their prayers and go to sleep, but I don't think I can ever finish.

On a positive note though, I do not think it's an impossible thing to achieve, just that the amount of problems you'll potentially run into will be huge. And I'm just talking about the planning stage.

:-D

hmmm, i wouldnt say it is impossible, but from the looks of it now, it seems very unlikely to materialize in the near future.

while more and more organisations turn from brick-and-mortar venues to the internet to further their agendas, why should soft go backwards by embracing brick-and-mortar venues to perpetuate its goals?

a physical building or office will have limited capacity for members to gather, and geographic influence on the community is small. on the other hand, the current internet forum transcends geographic and physical boundaries, and allows for social interaction via the online forum. softies can post opinions, comments, pm one another; not enough, can also email, msn chat, skype, and even facebooking. the whole idea that i want to say is that the current soft is very robust as it is. a physical building will probably not add value to our cause.

This sounds like a good dream. Repeat: A GOOD DREAM.
TS, nothing against you, but I grow skeptical of this idea. I know it sounds good, but there is too much costs involved. Also, your plans for it sound very sketchy. A few classes isn't going to bring in that much $$ in the long run. True, perhaps a couple of record labels or jamming studios may bring in more money, but yet again, there are already jamming studios and record labels that are already estabilshed out there. Then, comes the problem with the land. How accessible is this place? What is the cost of purchasing the land, building the building, etc.

I must admit that this would definately be a good idea, but if only dreams were so easy to translate into reality

soft.com.sg is to link music loving people by the internet, from which we can sit in the comfort of our homes and offices scouring for good deals. Why would you want a building?

it's better if it is gatherings. What for do u need buildings?

agreed....just dont get into an "illegal gathering"!

teleplayer....copy and pasting info=epic fail.....dont get caught for plagarism...haha kidding...project work got too much into my head.

Last edited:
teleplayer....copy and pasting info=epic fail.....dont get caught for plagarism...haha kidding...project work got too much into my head.

hahah funny as it seems, thats true. plagiarism is a serious offence.

teleplayer qoute the parts which u copied and paste

dudelove and Ized: noted haha. thanks for telling me.. later i kena a pm saying i m sued for whatwhatwhat...

Back