Rust on strings

RyanZ

Hi bros, do any one of you here know of any product to prevent rust on strings? Im using Ernie Ball strings and they rust very fast.

can you stop the sun from setting?

you can never stop the rust.

however you can keep it from rusting fast by cleaning it often

eg. wiping it down after each use.

yes... you can't prevent strings from rusting. cleaning/ coating them prolongs life but they ultimately deteriorate...

have you tried DR's coated set? (got the green version in one of my guitars as depicted). rust will definitely not form on these... 8)

rgr321green1.jpg

Hmm.

A good practise is to wipe your strings down once you finish playing, cleaning the strings with string cleaner (Dunlop 65) would definitely improve the life of your string, and help to prevent the buildup of rust on your strings.

Ernie ball Hybrid Slinkies user here, and I play everyday :wink:

colour coated strings seem to serve ur purpose well at first, but after a few days of playing some of the colour comes of and those parts are prone to rust, so u hav to start cleaning them, and when u clean them even more of the colour comes out and they collect on ur guitiar like dandruff and soon ur guitar looks liek its decomposing ir sth

what i do now is just use ernie balls anyhow (try the stainless steel they rust slower), and i just clean with GHS fast fret, for a moment of time i even kept my guit in its gig bag when not in use and that helped severely, but i cant b bothered(lazy to zip unzip bla bla) to do so now haha... wait for my next guit with hardcase then easier to put back

or theres always elixirs, just pray the coat doesnt come out

can use fast fret , will remove rust , returning your guitar back to the gigbag/hardcase will prevent some rust .

anyway , fast fret could remove rust on strings , then wipe it down with towel given there

there's always a dichotomy when it comes to coated strings. i'm still using it because they last despite a diff in feel. some people here would propose a total avoidance altogether because they are kinda adverse to harmonics execution.

if you pick hard, the picking area coating might peel off, the fretting area will remain in tact. dirt still accumulates on these strings so a wipe-down is encouraged after play but no cleaning fluid necessary.

i've stopped using GHS Fast Fret because it leaves a waxy residue, if this works for you then by all means carry on. for my non-coated strings, i wipe down with D'Andrea cleaning fluid which is super effective in removing dirt:

img1049625208.jpeg

you know! i had the same problem~

I use D'Didario <-- can't spell XL strings and they Rust like Hell!

but somehow or rather it just stopped rusting for me, not because of wipe down or something. and now its Running 2 months and Just tarnishing.

i use the liquid polymer coating, makes it feel like elixirs. and prevents rust pretty well. only problem is that if you dont use it for afew days, it'll squeak like a brand new floor. but just use it again, and its as smooth as a new set.

you can get it from maestro.

Wooo I'm using the D'Andreas too. Think I bought it over 4-5 years ago and its still 3/4 full.

Strings literally sqeak when you wipe with the solution.

squeaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

squeakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

girlfriend says : OI, F%&^ING NOISY LAH.

why cant they just come up with anti rust strings!! 1 set of strings for 10 years!! HAHA

Hmm.

it's kinda obvious lah, why is it that EVERY product has a limited life-span, even guitars, yes.

Companies would make more money if their products sell. How to make products sell? You cna make it damn good with a reasonable product life, or you could market it such that it's just irresistable.

Just look at the Ipod. Every father mother son also have one. Is it the best product? No. Is it worth $500? You judge yourself.

Dr. Duck works for me, can get at living strings, 1 drop works wonders. Else, lemon oil from the local d.i.y shop would suffice for the fretboards and it kinda works for the strings too.

Back