Rude Boss @ Edward Music House

Anyone know of the cd chop which sells Taiwan imports of rare Chinese albums?The shop name is Edward Music House, on the 2nd level at Shaw Towers.

Since they sell rare CDs I went once, and brought my friend there this afternoon. We were browsing, and I was buying an album. They sell old posters too, and I wanted to buy one. My cd sells at $17, the poster at $5.

I smilingly ask for a discount: "Can I have both for $20?"

He grabbed the poster and threw at back into the box angrily, and said in chinese, "Want discount I'd rather don't sell", and went to keep the box.

What kind of customer treatment is this? If he said no, I would still consider buying it, but instead he just shut me out from buying totally. I was half-stunned by the response, but went on to pay for the album I was going to buy. Shouldn't even have paid for that.

Buying Anything from the Web nowadays is so much easier cheaper than going to a shop which is so hard to locate. I have to walk from bugis mrt all the way to shaw towers. I don't need a shop like this but I went there just because in singapore it is rare.

The first time I brought my friend there, he was already planning to save money to buy a few albums from there, but then he sees this.

Just wanna inform people who may wanna buy from them, of his attitude. I can't ask people to boycott, it's your freedom. But today will be the last time I'm visiting that shop. Of course I encourage people not to buy from him.

Phew~~~Bad day for me.

Wa..makes me wanna go there even more and try askin for a discount too. If I were you I wouldn't even have bought the CD after all that.

I'll check out that store.I'll ask for a discount and if he did the same thing to me, i'm going to quarell and make him lose business.and teach him how to reject nicely. in sg customer service is undoubtedly v important.

Last edited:
Strange thing is before today I asked for discount before, and didn't scold me or what.

It is today I asked discount for the poster he like that. I dared to ask because he was saying no one buy and yesterday he threw a lot away.

But it was a rare album la...... plus that time I was half-stunned.

must train my reflexes so i can scold this kind of people next time.

ha...

Maybe he was just having a bad day la. These are bad times, and maybe you hit a raw nerve with him when asking for discounts? You never know, bad bad times, bad day, losing money with every passing second, then some young punk comes in and asks for a discount for a purchase of 20 odd bucks.

Well, you get what I mean.

I'm not saying that bad service is to be condoned, but shopkeepers are humans too. Just forgive and forget.

Hey Really, why are you even asking for a discount in the first place?

can't you respect the price that he is selling at ?
i mean you said its rare and you still want to ask for a lower price, its not like its wayy overpriced, you should be happy you found the CD.

for guitars i can understand, BUUT a CD that costs $17?!

some people...

actually that shop there, i believe they have some faded cardboard writeup pasted on the glass panel facing out, on the "passion" views of the boss towards the artist and music biz of somesort the last time when i pass by there few months back.

Guess its a "respect"/'support" he might be looking for, from music enthusiast/fans towards music biz and some of the artist who might not be active anymore in the music industry.

bad service or not, imho, if its something that we like, respect and out of print stuff, just a lil bit of extra, it might be worth it. Afterall his reaction was due to the action, even if its a bit rude of him to do that, try not to take it to heart.

between a $2 discount and really wanting something thats rare, imho, if its something that mean something to me, i will go for the product then to go home with negative feeling and still nothing in hand to treasure.

imho

haha, exactly, plus 69.96 to thoa bro thoa!

anyway if thread starter is still interested in getting the cd and poster, i am willing to pay the $2 extra for you to get the cd. PM me, we will sort it out. Serious, no joke and no obligation as well
icon7.gif

oh, and in the mean time, if happen to pass by there, drop by tom's palette round there for some nice ice cream
icon10.gif

People do have bad days, next time try apologising instead. It could work wonders sometimes.

whats the case if he saved up for a month just to buy that particular album/cd.you don't know..imagine putting YOURSELF in their shoes.

If I were in their shoes, I would check the exact price of something first and work on it before I step foot in that shop. For a month to save up $20 bucks, I can take another 3 days to save up $2.

And trust me, man. I've been in many situations where $2 makes a difference a 5-pack instant noodle or a loaf of bread that can stretch me for 3 days, or nothing at all. In those times, buying a CD is the last thing on my mind.

+90 to bro thoa n PatheinRaindropMoe (both of u share ah)

dun blame the owner la... maybe he had a bad day or last nite he nvr get.
but y ask for discount at 1st place? lol
2bux... wat diff does it make? seriously...if 20bux or 10bux ok ah...
i wouldnt noe wat to do if i have 2bux

Well, you hold a job now, so at least you're earning a steady income which $2 isn't much. To people who are still schooling, $2 is a fair bit.

But seriously... $2 still want discount... It's not even like $20 la..

theliverevolution: yes i agree tat to sum 2bux is sumtink. i respect tat. but if wanna get sumtink,especially rare stuff, save up la...

Isn't the customer always right? :twisted:

To me. Bad service is bad service is bad service is bad service. There's no excuse for it. I've been selling brand new working printers at $10 recently through ebay. Although some sellers have already won the auction at $10, they still request for discounts, to which I am never nearly rude towards. Just politely say,"sorry that's the best price already".

Music is(like it or not) a product and music shop owners are providing a service. It's business. You treat the customer well. There's nothing more that needs to be said. If you want to be stuck up, do it elsewhere, like when you're showing off your garden or something like that.

If some ang moh comes and asks for a discount, he throws the CD back as well, what kind of impression are leaving? After all, bargaining is a normal tool when it comes to trading. If it were me, I would have jokingly asked for a discount as well. If the boss said no nicely, I would have taken it. $2 isn't much, but still, it's "shiok" to get a better deal. It's a Singaporean way of living(asking for discounts).

Look at it another way lah yeah.. If you go to McD's, the counter aunty gives you hell. I know most of us here would surely make noise. Why give this bugger a free pass?

I just feel bad service cannot be excused, no matter what.

Reactions: fgl
I did't ask for a discount for the cd, I asked for the poster, which he said he was going to throw away if no one is buying and kept for too long. And like I said, as rare as the cds might be, buying online is confirm have one. For the "passion" part, if I had no passion I would have just downloaded. And you guys know supporting original music is not easy and cheap, so we always go for the best deals. If you look at my iPod, I had over 80 albums that are ripped from my original cds, where most people would just download. I am also collecting original film dvds. If I buy everything at shelf price I would have gone broke. Imagine I go to the shop happily and recommending my friend to buy from them, and I get this treatment.

I mean if he don't want a discount he could have just said. Why I was half-stunned is because its just a simple question of yes or no, and I only asked once. I didn't even try to push for a discount. And we were sort of chatting about the cds and seems like we were getting along quite well.

I can understand maybe he was having a bad day or what, but, in summary, I was jokingly bargaining for something which he said he was going to throw away, and all he need to do is reject me politely, and I will still buy the poster. And I will still go to the shop to buy much more in the future. But he totally shut me out, like I can't live without him.

I can forgive and forget about the incident, but like I said, buying online is much easier, and I don't need to sweat under the hot sun while walking towards the building.

Last edited:
Back