reviews on MXR pedals

emptyspaces

I was wondering if any of yall have tried using the following pedals?

MXR BASS DI
MXR BASS BLOWTORCH

I play in a band that only has one guitarist so I was thinking of getting a drive pedal that allows me to get variations in my tone and stuff.
You know like muse kinda bass sound but not that heavy or fuzzy.

any recommendations for bass drives (below 200 bucks)?

thanks!

GABRIEL :D

thought you were using a Boss Blues Driver pedal the last time i saw you, when you had to mess around with Kevin on guitars? sounded pretty okay. and i'm very, very sure that one's less than $200.

and both those MXR pedals are waaaaaaay above $200 la lol.

i've tried both pedals, and personally i prefer the Bass DI. ( btw i like and play muse too)

the Blowtorch to me seems more lyk an overdrive when i tried it. the gain and blend knobs were all cranking and i couldn't hear a distortion sound i like. from i was told when i tried it, it acts more like a preamp than a distortion pedal. yeah =]=]

for the Bass DI, it firstly acts as a DI, and it also has a distortion channel which can be activated lah. the distortion imo seems closer to muse type and yeah it kind of gets wat i wan, there seems to be more variables to. in addition to the gain and blend knobs found on the Blowtorch, it also has a trigger knob. so yeah i think it can give u more variaty.

as for the price when i tried it out, the Blowtorch is going for 199bucks at Davis and the Bass DI is going for 300 plus at some other shop ( i think music theme ) but i can't really remember, only know that it's a penin.

yupp, hope that helps u=]=]

personally, i'm getting the Bass DI when i have the money =[=[, although i have not tried other bass drives yet, i think it should be worth getting i guess, HAHA

GABRIEL :D

thought you were using a Boss Blues Driver pedal the last time i saw you, when you had to mess around with Kevin on guitars? sounded pretty okay. and i'm very, very sure that one's less than $200.

and both those MXR pedals are waaaaaaay above $200 la lol.

DAMN, YOU EXPOSED ME. HAHAHAHAH

Boss Blues Driver pedal?! Ben, you meant my compressor/sustainer pedal uh?

I using the Boss DS-1 luh for my drive now. that's why.

i've tried both pedals, and personally i prefer the Bass DI. ( btw i like and play muse too)

the Blowtorch to me seems more lyk an overdrive when i tried it. the gain and blend knobs were all cranking and i couldn't hear a distortion sound i like. from i was told when i tried it, it acts more like a preamp than a distortion pedal. yeah =]=]

for the Bass DI, it firstly acts as a DI, and it also has a distortion channel which can be activated lah. the distortion imo seems closer to muse type and yeah it kind of gets wat i wan, there seems to be more variables to. in addition to the gain and blend knobs found on the Blowtorch, it also has a trigger knob. so yeah i think it can give u more variaty.

as for the price when i tried it out, the Blowtorch is going for 199bucks at Davis and the Bass DI is going for 300 plus at some other shop ( i think music theme ) but i can't really remember, only know that it's a penin.

yupp, hope that helps u=]=]

personally, i'm getting the Bass DI when i have the money =[=[, although i have not tried other bass drives yet, i think it should be worth getting i guess, HAHA

pretty lengthy there. but yea. it really helps!
Thanks so much for answering my question.
but MXR is coming out this new drive pedal for bass.
so I might get that instead...when I have the cash that is.
HAH!

hmm ok so that means the Blues Driver isn't enough for you..

the thing i'm afraid about is that if you have a harsher distortion, it might create a "wall of sound" effect, which might clash with your lone guitarist. whether that's the desired effect or not is really up to you guys.

given your situation, i'd recommend trying out a chorus :)

cool, i didn't realised that they're coming out wif a new bass drive, onli noe bout the EHx bass big muff, which i have no idea how it'll sound lyk compared to the russian big muff and little big muff.

anyway good luck to you in getting ur bass drive =]=]

the thing i'm afraid about is that if you have a harsher distortion, it might create a "wall of sound" effect, which might clash with your lone guitarist. whether that's the desired effect or not is really up to you guys.

maybe he can try using a compressor to lessen the impact of the distortion?
i'm nt sure though, if a compressor can do that, heh

yup the poland overdrive is awesome if u ask me..worth every cent i paid for it..:mrgreen:

as for the mxr bass di, i really love the toneshaping function, but the distortion is just not my thing..one of my friends love it, so i think its a case of one man's meat is another man's poison..:rolleyes:

anyway im selling my mint MXR bass di unit..totally mint..pm me if interested..:p

maybe he can try using a compressor to lessen the impact of the distortion?
i'm nt sure though, if a compressor can do that, heh

I am already playing with a modded CS-3.
hahaha. yea.
I just feel that my DS-1 somehow doesnt really does it job...yea.
:(

yup the poland overdrive is awesome if u ask me..worth every cent i paid for it..:mrgreen:

as for the mxr bass di, i really love the toneshaping function, but the distortion is just not my thing..one of my friends love it, so i think its a case of one man's meat is another man's poison..:rolleyes:

anyway im selling my mint MXR bass di unit..totally mint..pm me if interested..:p

HAHHAH.
yes sure I will PM you or something if i am gonna get it.
aint too sure about it yet, though. :)

taken up that idea.
kev recommended me to try out FAB chorus. (cheap & good. w00t!)
and apparently it's helps. gotta try out again during jamming.

BUT still looking for a better drive. HAH!

yeah like what KeDraiv mentioned i also felt that the blowtorch was more of a overdrive than a distortion. i kind of liked it though because of its tone shaping controls, though a bit overcomplicated. what i didnt like was its 18v power requirements.

i used to own the bass di+ a long time ago but i didnt really like it. it is a preamp first and a distortion second. buying it on the premise of getting a distortion doesn't justify the cost. i ended up selling to a fellow softie called audie at a loss 8)

for a long time while i was looking for a replacement for my LBM i was considering getting a TS9 and having it modded for more low end. but i got something else in the end.

i think tidesofblood mentioned a very important thing, which was not to clash with your guitarist. as such the kind of tone that your guitarist is looking for will probably not be the kind of tone you are looking for. a pedal might sound fantastic when you try it out, but in the jam studio with the drums, vocals and guitar(s), you might actually realise that it won't do. in this respect i think fuzz pedals are a safe bet.

im really waiting for someone here to review the el grande

yeah like what KeDraiv mentioned i also felt that the blowtorch was more of a overdrive than a distortion. i kind of liked it though because of its tone shaping controls, though a bit overcomplicated. what i didnt like was its 18v power requirements.

i used to own the bass di+ a long time ago but i didnt really like it. it is a preamp first and a distortion second. buying it on the premise of getting a distortion doesn't justify the cost. i ended up selling to a fellow softie called audie at a loss 8)

for a long time while i was looking for a replacement for my LBM i was considering getting a TS9 and having it modded for more low end. but i got something else in the end.

i think tidesofblood mentioned a very important thing, which was not to clash with your guitarist. as such the kind of tone that your guitarist is looking for will probably not be the kind of tone you are looking for. a pedal might sound fantastic when you try it out, but in the jam studio with the drums, vocals and guitar(s), you might actually realise that it won't do. in this respect i think fuzz pedals are a safe bet.

im really waiting for someone here to review the el grande

I really think the el grande will be a sweeet pedal.
but yea let's wait for review and all first.
hahaha.

at the very least have some samples lah. but so far very little. i almost cannot tahan... which is not a good idea... especially since ehx are rolling out 3 new dirt pedals

but maybe

the only solution is to buy ALL

OH, so the bass drive by MXR you'all refering to is the el grande ah?

lol, i thought you were looking for bass OVERdrive since you said bass drive and el grande is a bass fuzz, haha. i'm waiting for it also, but then there's also EHX bass muff to consider...

AHHHHHHH

yeah man. you guys definately need to jam to figure you parts out.

if both of you are going all out with distortion. its gonna be bad on the ears.

but if you guys can take turns for diff songs to be the lead/standout instrument for a certain part. that'll be really rad.

i'll be looking forward to catching your show on the 28th :)

Back