Recording with an Electric Drumset

sebaslim

Hello guys, I've been checking out recording stuffs recently and would like to try out doing some myself. But while acoustic drums recording seems pretty, mic-ing up all the toms, bass and snare with two overheads for the cymbals. I have no idea how to record a electric set. I have a "Yamaha DTXpress IV Special Ver. 2" could anyone give me any advice? Like what gear must I have to do recording with my electric set. Thanks!

Are you planning on using the DTXpress as a MIDI trigger for a drum module on your computer (like Addictive Drums), or using the stock sounds from the DTXpress straight into your DAW?

A simple audio interface with MIDI in/out will suffice, just in case you want to try both methods, like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. I'd get a two-channel interface to record things in stereo.

To use it as a MIDI trigger you'll also need a MIDI cable to connect the MIDI out of the DTXpress to the MIDI in of the interface, then load the correct drum map on the drum module in your DAW (Addicted comes with the correct drum map for Yamaha electronic drums) otherwise, you'll have to map it yourself. Then there's the slightly troublesome part of configuring the drum module to record on a MIDI track. This method is really useful for post editing, like quantizing or editing MIDI notes to have different sounds with the same performance.

The other method is more straight-forward. Plug a 1/4" cable out of the mono out of the DTXpress (or two if you want stereo, highly recommended for drum mixes) into the audio interface, and just record it like you would any other line-level instrument. I haven't used the DTXpress IV before, I have a DTXplorer and I have to do lots of tricks on it post-processing to sound decent. Maybe your tones are a lot more decent sounding than mine!

The pads are the same on both sets. But the sounds are better. (personal opinion) But I like the round cymbals so yeah.

Thanks for the tips, but seems quite costly to me. I'd prefer plugging in a 1/4' cable into an audio interface. But audio interfaces are expensive. (Cheap ones are otherwise not good, might as well invest in a better one)
What I am interested here is something I came about online. It seems like electric sets are able to go straight into computers without audio interfaces. Is it possible? Or was that wrong info.
Thanks so much for all the tips and tricks man.

What I am interested here is something I came about online. It seems like electric sets are able to go straight into computers without audio interfaces. Is it possible? Or was that wrong info.

Yes, that's possible, you could use a stereo cable to plug from the headphone out straight into the line-in or the mic-in of your computer. Your sound card will then act as the interface. I went for a separate audio interface cause my soundcard just sounded too fizzy and was really noisy.

Additionally, what I have done before (prior to getting my interface) was use the USB A/D converter of my Sennheiser earphone/mic headset. It's originally intended to plug the earphone/mic via USB into the computer. I plugged the headphone out of the DTX using a stereo cable into the mic input of the A/D converter. It essentially is an interface one-up from the basic soundcard with less noise:

2e413ce7.jpg

Cheers mate!

OHH! That's what I saw! Yeah I can see how it would create more noise. Thanks man you've been a great help!

Back