Recommendations for Bass Drum Skin

Softwaremaker

Gosh - I am shocked. Less than a year ago, I put on an EVANS G2 on my bass drum head. Today, I noticed a split in the skin. God knows how long the split has been on the skin but I am quite surprised that a quality G2 (double-ply some more) cannot take the moderate beating I give.

I am not a heavy drummer and I am also a heel-down player so I exert very little force on my bass drum. I am only using a single beater Pearl Eliminator and I use the felt heads all the time. With all the above factors, it still cannot tahan the beating. :confused:

What is the recommendation for a good bass drum head ? No more EVANS for me. I like an open loud, deep thud sound as I muffle the insides of the 20" bass quite a bit.

So far, searching the global forums reveal the Powerstroke 3 as a bass skin of choice. What do the experts here think ? Good choice ?

Thanks.

I like an open loud, deep thud sound as I muffle the insides of the 20" bass quite a bit.

So far, searching the global forums reveal the Powerstroke 3 as a bass skin of choice. What do the experts here think ? Good choice ?

Thanks.

I'm a bit confused, if you like an open sound, why would you muffle your bass drum AND use a 2 ply head?

Anyway, it sucks that your g2 broke. Powerstroke 3 is definitely a good choice! I'm looking to try that next.

I'm a bit confused, if you like an open sound, why would you muffle your bass drum AND use a 2 ply head?

Anyway, it sucks that your g2 broke. Powerstroke 3 is definitely a good choice! I'm looking to try that next.

Aye. I know it sounds contradictory but you know music ... I want the best of one characteristic but I cannot take the "cons" that comes with it. ;)

For example, I muffle the drums (with stuffed toys) to cut ringiness and resonance and in the process, the volume went down as well. I use 2 ply because I wanted it to be slightly more durable. How ironic is that. I took out the skins and found the top-ply split.

I guess our definition of open is all different. It has slightly changed now as I record more now and needs the sound to be more focus and less open.

In any case, I got myself a coated powerstroke 3. It has a definite different sound from the EVANS G2 and the Pinstripe I have tried. It is more focused and more boomy and richer now. It is less "open" and I have removed a bit of muffling within the bass drum so it sounds "less dead". Volume has also slightly increased with the same effort of each kick.

It has been good and the sound change was refreshing although I have no idea how it would blend with the jazz pieces :). I was told that most people who use coated skins for bass use it in a marching band as it is more focused and less "all-over-the-place" so I decided to give this experiment a shot. Also, since I was in the mood of a marching band, I changed the beater to a mallet-type to add more to the focus. :)

Yes, I would recommend the PowerStroke 3.

Last edited:
I love the sound of coated PS3- I'm using a PS3 over a renaissance now.

Anyway, if you want a thin skin with durability, you might want to consider using a thin skin and getting an impact pad for it.

Impact pads are great to keep the lifespan of the bassdrum skin...

Having said, i am rather surprised! What Softwaremaker have shared to us really doesn't make sense that the bass drum skin will spilt in less then a year. Especially being a moderate hitter and doesn't exert much force. Sounds like a lemon to me...

Hmm... i gotta monitor my new Evan EQ1 bassdrum skin now although i do have a impact pad on it.

By the way softwaremaker, do you have a dehumidifier in your room? If yes, could it be that the room is kept too dry? I believe this could to a certain degree damage items that are rubber based items, no? This is just my thoughts... Something we can ponder about...

I do have a dehumidifier in my drum room but i only switched it on twice a week or sometimes only once a week.

@Composer of Requiems @Lummer
Thanks for the tips. I have a Remo Falam Pad still in its package. Was very worried about using it as I felt it alters the hitting sound. Now, I am using a coated skin - wonder now how sticky that would be. Any advice ?

Having said, i am rather surprised! What Softwaremaker have shared to us really doesn't make sense that the bass drum skin will spilt in less then a year. Especially being a moderate hitter and doesn't exert much force. Sounds like a lemon to me...

Hmm... i gotta monitor my new Evan EQ1 bassdrum skin now although i do have a impact pad on it.

By the way softwaremaker, do you have a dehumidifier in your room?

No, I dont have a dehumidifier in the room where the drums sits. I am surprised as well and disgusted as the G2 is not that cheap for something that lasts <9 months. I will post some pics once I have it. The top skin ply split and you can see a distinct hairline split on the skin bordering the shape of the beater edge.

I am trying to trace back on what I did to cause it. Remember, I am a heels-down player and my bass is the weakest (positive correlation ? maybe ?) so there really is not much force exerted. Skin is tuned quite loose as well. If what I bought is not a lemon, then could it be that the beater was not aligned or centered properly causing more pressure on one side of the beater, hence causing the split ?

I need to know as well since my new coated PS3 is tuned higher and I really dont want to change the skin again so fast. I am sure we all know changing the bass skin is a chore especially when the room is so small ...

So experts, a few questions:
1) Was very worried about using the Remo Falam Pad as I felt it alters the hitting sound. What is the sound change ?

2) Now, I am using a coated skin - wonder now how sticky the the Remo Falam Pad would be. Any advice ?

3) I guess my snare (6" deep) and the hats are too cutting. The 20" bass still cannot cut through enough. I have reduced muffling to just a very small pillow. Stuffed toys taken out :) I have lifted the bass drum slightly higher off the floor. What else can I do to improve the volume so it cuts better besides getting a 22" ?

Thanks for any tips

Last edited:
So experts, a few questions:
1) Was very worried about using the Remo Falam Pad as I felt it alters the hitting sound. What is the sound change ?

My 2cents worth of thoughts: This pads are basically made to prolong the drum skin. By sticking it on the bass drum skin i will assume the change in sound is negligible unless you are very particular about it when u are recording drum tracks. But that being said, also depends how clear the bass drum is being recorded. Personally i don't feel there are any difference.
For example, how many mics are used to record the bass drum... 1, 2 or 3mics set up? 1mic being a mic placed inside in the middle of the bass drum, 2mic being 1 inside near to the batterhead and 1 just at the cut hole and 3 being an additional sub woofer to the 2mic set up...

2) Now, I am using a coated skin - wonder now how sticky the the Remo Falam Pad would be. Any advice ?

My 2cents worth of thoughts: I never use Remo Falam Pad... i believe its made from Kevlar and its super durable. This material i believe everyone will know its use to make bulletproof vest and all... As for whether it will stick... it all depends on the adhesive used by Remo. My personally opinion will be that Remo will not sell a product that doesn't work on their own drum skin bah... Like that sure kana condemn one leh...

3) I guess my snare (6" deep) and the hats are too cutting. The 20" bass still cannot cut through enough. I have reduced muffling to just a very small pillow. Stuffed toys taken out :) I have lifted the bass drum slightly higher off the floor. What else can I do to improve the volume so it cuts better besides getting a 22" ?

My 2cents worth of thoughts: I believe there are few factors to consider when you want to increase the volume of the bass drum. How deep is your bass drum? The deeper it is the bigger the boom... By tuning the bassdrum slightly higher pitch will also cause the bass drum to resonate more and with your method of reducing the muffling will enhance the volume too... there is also one thing i have learned some where and that is the reso head side... The bigger the hole (Those holes where the mics are placed) the lesser the boom... If your bass drum has no holes cut at all... I believe will increase the volume also, right? Make sense to you?

I hope the above is of help... Like i say its my 2cents worth of thoughts... i maybe wrong... do some research... sure can find even more answers!

Thanks for any tips[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
@ Lummer - Thanks for your 6 cents worth of thoughts :)

Most Remo Falams I see are stuck to clear skins. I dont know if a coated skin will increase or reduce the adhesive.

My resonant head has no holes :)

@ Lummer - Thanks for your 6 cents worth of thoughts :)

Most Remo Falams I see are stuck to clear skins. I dont know if a coated skin will increase or reduce the adhesive.

My resonant head has no holes :)

You are welcome!!
Man... how deep is your bassdrum? U still find your kick soft?? Like tat i think you have to equalize your hands and feet! Play softer on your hands and kick harder! This i am not making fun of you hor... Some drummers are very balance in there hands and feet... And some drummers are heavier on hands and vice versa. As for coated or clear skin... Seriously i do not see any problem with the adhesive.

Another 2cents for you... haha!

Bass is fusion size - 20 x 16 deep. Yes, I should practice more control on the hands :)

Ironically, a lot of people dont realize that the bass drum is the quietest drum on the set to the drummer (not to the audience) because it doesn't face you. You're pushing the sound away from you on the initial attack which makes it a bit more quiet and it's the furthest away from you.

I have read somewhere that on an article on ear protection a few years back and the bass drum only clocked in at 110dB at the drummer's ears and the snare drum at over 125dB. I guess the results were accurate. Oddly enough, the toms were lower than the snare and louder than the bass.

Also, one of the things people dont realize is that our ears dont pick up low frequencies well. Most people cannot see the subwoofer in a normal hi-fi setup if it is hidden

So, maybe I should be happy with my bass now, huh ? :)

"Skin is tuned quite loose as well"

That's what I thought might have been the problem when I read your first post.
Loose heads tend to dent easier, and that might lead to splitting over prolonged playing.

Was it dented before it suddenly split?

Loose heads tend to dent easier, and that might lead to splitting over prolonged playing.

Was it dented before it suddenly split?

I am not sure if it was dented before but the skins are tuned slightly loose. However, I think it will take a lot of beatings and force to split over a dent. It is also a double ply so I am quite shocked at this. Still. The serial number and all markings are on the edge so I dont think it is a lemon.

See pics on the hairline split over my EVANS Genera G2 20" Bass Skin (Less than 9 months and moderate heels-down beating):
IMG_0239.jpg

The hole in the middle of the crack line doesn't looked like its damaged by constant beating...

Bass is fusion size - 20 x 16 deep. Yes, I should practice more control on the hands :)

Ironically, a lot of people dont realize that the bass drum is the quietest drum on the set to the drummer (not to the audience) because it doesn't face you. You're pushing the sound away from you on the initial attack which makes it a bit more quiet and it's the furthest away from you.

I have read somewhere that on an article on ear protection a few years back and the bass drum only clocked in at 110dB at the drummer's ears and the snare drum at over 125dB. I guess the results were accurate. Oddly enough, the toms were lower than the snare and louder than the bass.

Also, one of the things people dont realize is that our ears dont pick up low frequencies well. Most people cannot see the subwoofer in a normal hi-fi setup if it is hidden

So, maybe I should be happy with my bass now, huh ? :)

Man... You have all this data and you were asking how to increase your bass drum volume? haha... Anyway, the article is very informative but i am curious why you felt your bass drum soft... Is your drums in a relatively big room? If its in a small room then your bass drum should be able to produce a relatively loud volume isn't it? Did the article mentioned how big is the size of the room where they clocked the dbs? I suppose the size of the area plays a part in the db, no? But i do agree snare is usually the loudness followed by toms and kick...

Back