Presentation and Live Playing

hysteria

Putting on a good show isn’t a natural thing for some bands that are just getting started. I’ve seen several local shows where the audience was expecting something entertaining from the band and didn’t get much. The music itself wasn’t the main problem, although it could have been better. Bands like these could benefit from some preparation and thought on the performance side.

The act of live performance has to be practiced just like the music. It’s a skill that’s separate from actually playing the music even though they appear to be linked when watching a band perform. If the two seem to be linked, it’s because the band has put thought and work into their presentation.

However if the musical skills aren’t present in a performance, the presentation isn’t going to make up for the lack of solid music. Getting the presentation together is not as effective if the performance isn’t there.

Genre And Place

Presentation totally depends on the band and the genre. The band needs to be comfortable with the kind of presentation that they choose and it should appeal to fans of the music. A traditional jazz combo is generally going to present itself far differently from a death metal band. The fans and expectations are different. Know your genre and know the fans.

Be aware of the venue as well. Something that works great in front of 200 people might not work as well in front of 20 people. Is the audience filled with fans of your band or genre, or something totally different? If you examine live DVDs for ideas, keep in mind that something that works for an established band in front of 1,000 people might not work as well for you.

Be Prepared For Poor Monitoring

What does this have to do with presentation? If you can’t hear yourself or the rest of the band, it’s natural to be distracted from the actual act of performance. It’s hard to look good if you’re just trying to hold the music together.

Many venues have acceptable or good monitoring. However it’s a guarantee that some of the venues you will play will have poor monitoring. In these situations it can be hard to hear anything, or things might be way out of balance. You might only be able to hear the drums and vocals for example. It’s best to know the material well enough that just hearing one or two instruments is enough to keep you in the right part of the song and playing in time.

A really tight and prepared band will have the least amount of trouble with this situation since they don’t need to hear every note each member is playing. If you know the rest of the band will play just like in practice, it’s not as important to hear absolutely everything.

Record The Practice With A Camcorder

It’s important to watch and critique yourself. When watching a video of yourself, you’ll notice things that you weren’t aware of in the moment. If you were a member in the audience watching, what would you think of the band in the video? Make a list of things that were done well and those that needed improvement. Play up your strengths and minimize or improve the weaknesses.

Practice In Front Of A Mirror

If you can get a large mirror for band or individual practice, it’s really useful. It will help you see how you look, and how the rest of the band looks during practice. This has an advantage over recording with a camcorder and watching later since you get immediate feedback. This allows you to try different ideas right in the moment, which can lead to good changes and discoveries.

Plan For Accidents And Mistakes

The band should have a plan for different common problems. What if one of the guitarists pulls the cable out of the guitar? If you’re using a wireless system, what if the battery goes dead? What will the band do if something goes wrong with an amplifier or the PA? If one guitarists’ amp goes out during a solo, would the other guitarist be able to immediately jump in and finish playing it?

Basically this comes down to looking good even when the situation is falling apart. If you plan for the worst possible situation and practice the worst possible situation, most of the time you’ll look and play great.

In short, unless your band has a good deal experience playing live, be more prepared than you think you need to be, and be ready for all possibilities and problems.

(i didn't write this, found it online.)

imo the stuff mentioned here is very useful, especially for bands that are just starting out, as i've seen performances where every member (except vocalist) is just staring at the fretboard or the drum set. bands should realise that showmanship is very imprtant and that one of their main objectives should be to entertain the audience. good showmanship and stage presence of the band members is what seperates a regular band from a great band.

I learned it the hard way over the years in the school of hard knocks bro .... ;)

good post

In my opinion, if you stand still for one second (head-banging a centimetre still counts as moving), you killed your show.

I don't understand how you can stay still when you're feeling the music. And if you're playing and still not moving, then something must be really wrong. You have to feel the music for the audience to feel you.

That gap between a good band and an "wow" band is showmanship.

Kudos to the thread-starter for putting up this thread.

theres some genre which dont see the performer moving much or audience moving as well but still people are paying to watch them. It just another way of presentation, in accordance to the sound/style of the bands...

back in the 90s, theres something hot called shoegazing, their deadless performance, didnt really bored everyone out, infact, became a style of its own.
Coz people wasnted interest in what they wear, how they look, but just the music itself, without external factors to affect one judgement in listening.

The main thing for band is to go to gig and have fun, if bands on stage are enjoying what they are playing, i'm sure the crowd will feel it too. and would have a blast.

i learnt the hard way too, location of where you're playing is importmant. props for that.

lol i mentioned the barebodied thing because i have seen armchair critic live

connect the dots... . . .

anyway girl take off top and pants WHAT IS THIS KIND OF THINKING GOT ALOT OF GOOD FEMALE MUSICIANS OK FEMINIST MOVEMENT ROAR!!

depends on the band and the personality of the members la i guess,

if members feel that doing this is contrived, they shouldn't be playing in a band where showmanship is important.

hahaha wow shinobi. i can only remember about 3 or 4 gigs where one of us took off our shirts.

Eruption at Honeytrapp - Me
Invasion at Phunk Bar - RG
Festival of Love and Youth at Fort Canning - RG
HeartRock at Marine Cove - All of us

which were you at?

don't bluff, i remember both you and RG took off your tops at invasion

maybe you should do the hulk hogan style and RIP OFF your shirts... it could work

haha, while we are still on this line of thought, has anyone seen jeffrey brown of jive talking?

no disrespect, jive talking is one of the best bands in singapore and jeffrey is an awesome singer

Back